Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Commands to monitor other user's activity Post 302375999 by RAFC_99 on Monday 30th of November 2009 10:23:38 AM
Old 11-30-2009
w - for info on users currently logged on.

last - shows the last few logins, what time date logged on/off

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

audit user activity - possible?

Hi, I have been asked if it is possible to track the last time a specific user logged in to the sysetm. checked my documentation but can't see it there - google is not being very helpful either. I wonder if someone here can help - it will be much appreciated. Thanks Suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. SCO

Commands for review users activity

:D Hi, I'm searching for a command or commands to see the user and programs activity and who much resources is in use. In Unix I remember a TOP command but in SCO I'm don't find a similar. My system is a UNIX SCO 5.6 Thank's (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DigitalExecutiv
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tool to monitor user activity

Hello, Does any one knows any tools or method to monitor users all activities on Solaris 8, including command and its result. Similar to 'script' ??? Thanks nana (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nana
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to monitor system activity while executing tests

I need to monitor system activity (RAM, CPU usage, execution time) while running some tests on solaris, linux and aix and save the output. Please advise whether there's a utility available for these systems? How can time the execution of the command? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smovla
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SVN activity of certain user

Hi there, I'm looking for some help to get a little script done that shows me (or counts) only the added lines from an SVN repository of one specific user. Anybody has an idea? Thanks, Michael (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichaelGiese
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Homemade activity monitor-ish

Hello - I didn't find this with search, but I'm guessing it's out there somewhere. Apologies for reposting if that's the case. I'm shell scripting on a 10.5.8 Mac. I want to make a program that runs in the background and periodically logs computer use, storing things like - cpu usage,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qroid
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to monitor swap space paging activity?

hi guys My tivoli monitoring tools is reporting the monitor parameters says Pages Paged out is too high 1600 so it is a critical warning (threshold 400) now according to them this usually happens at dawn so is there a way to monitor this? during the time I am not working? ans something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Track activity of a user

Hi All We have a job which writes files to a server at a particular time. The files will be created by a particular user ID Today, during the execution of the job, it created a file to the server and the file sat on the server for sometime, but was deleted immediately at the end of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
4 Replies
LAST,LASTB(1)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     LAST,LASTB(1)

NAME
last, lastb - show listing of last logged in users SYNOPSIS
last [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [-adiox] [ -f file ] [ -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS ] [name...] [tty...] lastb [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [ -f file ] [ -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS ] [-adiox] [name...] [tty...] DESCRIPTION
Last searches back through the file /var/log/wtmp (or the file designated by the -f flag) and displays a list of all users logged in (and out) since that file was created. Names of users and tty's can be given, in which case last will show only those entries matching the arguments. Names of ttys can be abbreviated, thus last 0 is the same as last tty0. When last catches a SIGINT signal (generated by the interrupt key, usually control-C) or a SIGQUIT signal (generated by the quit key, usu- ally control-), last will show how far it has searched through the file; in the case of the SIGINT signal last will then terminate. The pseudo user reboot logs in each time the system is rebooted. Thus last reboot will show a log of all reboots since the log file was created. Lastb is the same as last, except that by default it shows a log of the file /var/log/btmp, which contains all the bad login attempts. OPTIONS
-num This is a count telling last how many lines to show. -n num The same. -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS Display the state of logins as of the specified time. This is useful, e.g., to determine easily who was logged in at a particular time -- specify that time with -t and look for "still logged in". -R Suppresses the display of the hostname field. -a Display the hostname in the last column. Useful in combination with the next flag. -d For non-local logins, Linux stores not only the host name of the remote host but its IP number as well. This option translates the IP number back into a hostname. -i This option is like -d in that it displays the IP number of the remote host, but it displays the IP number in numbers-and-dots nota- tion. -o Read an old-type wtmp file (written by linux-libc5 applications). -x Display the system shutdown entries and run level changes. NOTES
The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs information in these files if they are present. This is a local configura- tion issue. If you want the files to be used, they can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch /var/log/wtmp). FILES
/var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), login(1), init(8) Jul 29, 1999 LAST,LASTB(1)