Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Diff between 2 files using awk Post 302375950 by forumthreads on Monday 30th of November 2009 07:39:34 AM
Old 11-30-2009
Diff between 2 files using awk

Hi Experts,

Could you please help me to find the difference between two files. I tried the diff command but did not like the output as it contained < and > signs and the line numbers. Is it possible to do something using awk?

I have two files, say File1.txt contains 5 values and File2.txt contains only 2 values of what File1.txt contains. I want a command or script that will list me the 3 missing values from File2.txt. Here are the examples

File1.txt
034J
025J-01
089G-02
04J01

File2.txt
025J-01
04J01

Output.txt
034J
089g-02

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates from multuple files with 2 diff types of files

I need to compare 2 diff type of files and find out the duplicate after comparing each types of files: Type 1 file name is like: file1.abc (the extension abc could any 3 characters but I can narrow it down or hardcode for 10/15 combinations). The other file is file1.bcd01abc (the extension... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky007
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff b/w 2 files

Hi Masters, I have two files named file1 and file2. Both the files contains the same contents with some difference in comments,space.But no content change. I tried to find the diff between the two files to make sure that contents are same. For that i tried diff -ibw file1 file2 But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ecearund
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff of files

Hi, I have 2 files.I want to check if file1 is contained in file2. A.txt: ----- AAA BBB B.txt: ------ CCC AAA BBB DDD I want to check if A.txt is contained in B.txt. Can it be done using SED ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff bw two files

Hi All, I have two files which look as below File1 serial="1" name="abc" type="employee" field="IT" serial="2" name="cde" type="intern" field="Marketing" serial="3" name="pqr" type="contractor" field="IT" serial="4" name="xyz" type="employee" field="Sales" File2 serial="1"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

.procmailrc and uudeview (put attachments from diff senders to diff folders)

Moderator, please, delete this topic (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optik77
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show the diff in two files using awk

Hi, How can i use AWK or any other commands to find the difference between 2 files. File A aaa bbb ccc 111 222 File B aaa ccc 111 Output bbb 222 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gambit97
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff then awk two files

Hi friends, i am trying to diff two files and the result will be passed to awk and this will get the first 20 characters in every line and put the result in a file.... but i can't generate an output. $ cat file1.txt 1 2 3 4 5 $ cat file2.txt 1 2 3 4 the line of command is: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Replacement using 2 diff files input and comparison

Requirement: If $5(date field) in ipfile is less than $7(date field) in deact file & $1 of ipfile is present in deactfile then $1 to be replaced by $2,$3,$4,$5,$6 of deact file else if $5(date field) in ipfile is greater than $7(date field) in actfile & $1 of ipfile is present in actfile then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 3 files, but diff only their 2nd column

Guys i have 3 files, but i want to compare and diff only the 2nd column path=`/home/whois/doms` for i in `cat domain.tx` do whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Registrant ID:/,/Registrant Email:/p' > $path/$i.registrant whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Admin ID:/,/Admin Email:/p' > $path/$i.admin... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies
X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)					       Generic Mapping Tools						 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)

NAME
x2sys_merge - Merge an updated COEs tables SYNOPSIS
x2sys_merge -Amain_COElist.d -Mnew_COElist.d DESCRIPTION
x2sys_merge will read two crossovers data base and output the contents of the main one updated with the COEs in the second one. The second file should only contain updated COEs relatively to the first one. That is, it MUST NOT contain any new two tracks intersections (This point is NOT checked in the code). This program is useful when, for any good reason like file editing NAV correction or whatever, one had to recompute only the COEs between the edited files and the rest of the database. -A Specify the file main_COElist.d with the main crossover error data base. -M Specify the file new_COElist.d with the newly computed crossover error data base. OPTIONS
No space between the option flag and the associated arguments. EXAMPLES To update the main COE_data.txt with the new COEs estimations saved in the smaller COE_fresh.txt, try x2sys_merge -ACOE_data.txt -MCOE_fresh.txt > COE_updated.txt SEE ALSO
x2sys_binlist(1), x2sys_cross(1), x2sys_datalist(1), x2sys_get(1), x2sys_init(1), x2sys_list(1), x2sys_put(1), x2sys_report(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)