Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to send a function all command line args? Post 302375454 by Scrutinizer on Friday 27th of November 2009 08:54:25 PM
Old 11-27-2009
Try:
Code:
chkarg "$@"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

required command line args

Hello, How do I make a command line argument required using getopts? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
6 Replies

2. Programming

Command line args

My program usage takes the form for example; $ theApp 2 "one or more words" i.e. 3 command line arguments; application name, an integer, some text My code includes the following 4 lines: int anInteger; char words; sscanf(argv, "%d", &anInteger); sscanf(argv, "%s", &message); Based... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args

I am trying to print command line arguments one per second. I have this while do echo "6" shift echo "5" shift echo "4" shift echo "3" shift echo "2" shift echo "1" shift done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args 2

I have this while loop and at the end I am trying to get it to tell me the last argument I entered. And with it like this all I get is the sentence with no value for $1. Now I tried moving done after the sentence and it printed the value of $1 after every number. I don't want that I just want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve command line args one by on.

Hi, I have to store all the command line arguments into an array. I have the following code. ********************** #! /bin/sh set -A arr_no_updates i=1 while do arr_no_updates=$($i) echo ${arr_no_updates} i=$(($i+1)) done**************** (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with KSH script: command line args

Hi I am executing a KSH script by passing command line arguments example: Red Green Dark Red Blue when I am splitting the arguments by using " "(Space) as delimiter But the colour Dark Red is a single parameter. But it is getting splitted in between How to avoid this. Please help Also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanth424
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line args in unix

Hi, i have a perl script named test.pl. It is executed as cat *.log|test.pl i need the complete command line args. I tried using basename $0 but im getting test.pl only but not cat *.log... Can anyone help me on this. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteesh_!7
3 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Cut | command line args

Hi, Can you please hint me how to achieve the below? Input: $./script.sh start 1 2 Internally inside the script i want to set a single variable with $2 and $3 value? Output: CMD=$1 ARGS=$2 $3 --VInodh (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Command Line Args in a Single Variable?

Hello All, I have a Bash Script and an Expect script that together will SSH to another server and do some stuff there... From within the Bash Script I process the Command Line Arguments, which are Required Args and Optional Args. When I call the Expect script from the Bash Script, I pass... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts how to handle missing '-' in command line args.

I'm using getopts to process command line args in a Bash script. The code looks like this: while getopts ":cfmvhs:t:" option; do case $option in c) operationMode="CHECK" ;; f) operationMode="FAST" ;; m) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
6 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)