Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script similar to the command HEAD Post 302375375 by vidyadhar85 on Friday 27th of November 2009 01:09:15 PM
Old 11-27-2009
you can refer these..
Code:
# print first 10 lines of file (emulates behavior of "head")
 awk 'NR < 11'

# print first line of file (emulates "head -1")
 awk 'NR>1{exit};1'

# print the last 2 lines of a file (emulates "tail -2")
 awk '{y=x "\n" $0; x=$0};END{print y}'

# print the last line of a file (emulates "tail -1")
 awk 'END{print}'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Command (head) Question

Okay, this probably sounds dumb for anyone who knows the answer, but I'm completely lost. I have to use the head command to search a directory AND all of its subdirectories to display the first line of all .txt files. I know how to do this: head -1 ~/UnixCourse/*.txt, but that does not search the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbud
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command

Hi All, How can the head command be used to extract only a particular line. By default head -n filename displays the first n lines. I want only the nth line. I couldn't get it from forum search. Thanks, Sumesh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternative for head command

Hi friends,I am new to unix and this is really a dummy question.but please help me out. How to simulate head command without using head command??? also tail command too,also more command. it is given as a homework to do....please tell me how to do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhilneela
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command with more than one file

Hi, I have the following problem. I have files with one column of data (let's say file1.dat, file2.dat...file6.dat), and I would like to record the first value of the column of each file into another file (let's name it fileall.dat), which would have the the six values, one in each column. I use to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Imitate head and tail command script

Hi, I have been given assignment of 30 scripts out of which I was able to solve many, I need help with few out of which one asks to imitate head and tail command of unix without using the head and tail commands. Problem is stated below: Write an interactive shell script to imitate the head... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nutalk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script call : head: command not found

Hi, i am launching a script which open a ssh connexion to a cluster's node. Once on the node, the script calls the problematic command head and wc. I receive a message error as follow which come from two different scripts : line 31: head: command not found line 18: wc: command not found ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masy1800
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff/head - not sure if this is the right command to use

Hi, I need some advise on whether there is a better way of doing what I am currently planning to do. Perhaps I should be using arrays instead of re-directing output to files? I need to use a tool/program named ADRCI provided by Oracle to remove trace files that it generates. Honestly it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script matching similar records

hello all, I have requirement to identify similar records matching about 80% to 90%.I have to black list customers with multiple accounts. The data is in the Oracle Database, but is there any way I can get the data into flat file and compare the strings and fetch similar matching records? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashik786
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Head command queries

we have a file as below AREA,COUNTRY,RANK A,MX,1 A,MX,2 A,MX,5 A,MX,8 A,IN,7 A,IN,5 A,IN,21 B,CN,6 B,CN,2 B,CN,8 B,CN,0 we need the TOP 2 RANK records for the combination of Area, Country as below. i know head -2, which gives top 2 records from file but not sure it lists based on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
7 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)