Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script similar to the command HEAD Post 302375372 by BELLA86 on Friday 27th of November 2009 01:00:30 PM
Old 11-27-2009
shell script similar to the command HEAD

hello
please if anyone can help me make a shell script similar to the command HEAD and TAIL
THANKS

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Command (head) Question

Okay, this probably sounds dumb for anyone who knows the answer, but I'm completely lost. I have to use the head command to search a directory AND all of its subdirectories to display the first line of all .txt files. I know how to do this: head -1 ~/UnixCourse/*.txt, but that does not search the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbud
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command

Hi All, How can the head command be used to extract only a particular line. By default head -n filename displays the first n lines. I want only the nth line. I couldn't get it from forum search. Thanks, Sumesh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternative for head command

Hi friends,I am new to unix and this is really a dummy question.but please help me out. How to simulate head command without using head command??? also tail command too,also more command. it is given as a homework to do....please tell me how to do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhilneela
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command with more than one file

Hi, I have the following problem. I have files with one column of data (let's say file1.dat, file2.dat...file6.dat), and I would like to record the first value of the column of each file into another file (let's name it fileall.dat), which would have the the six values, one in each column. I use to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Imitate head and tail command script

Hi, I have been given assignment of 30 scripts out of which I was able to solve many, I need help with few out of which one asks to imitate head and tail command of unix without using the head and tail commands. Problem is stated below: Write an interactive shell script to imitate the head... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nutalk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script call : head: command not found

Hi, i am launching a script which open a ssh connexion to a cluster's node. Once on the node, the script calls the problematic command head and wc. I receive a message error as follow which come from two different scripts : line 31: head: command not found line 18: wc: command not found ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masy1800
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff/head - not sure if this is the right command to use

Hi, I need some advise on whether there is a better way of doing what I am currently planning to do. Perhaps I should be using arrays instead of re-directing output to files? I need to use a tool/program named ADRCI provided by Oracle to remove trace files that it generates. Honestly it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script matching similar records

hello all, I have requirement to identify similar records matching about 80% to 90%.I have to black list customers with multiple accounts. The data is in the Oracle Database, but is there any way I can get the data into flat file and compare the strings and fetch similar matching records? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashik786
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Head command queries

we have a file as below AREA,COUNTRY,RANK A,MX,1 A,MX,2 A,MX,5 A,MX,8 A,IN,7 A,IN,5 A,IN,21 B,CN,6 B,CN,2 B,CN,8 B,CN,0 we need the TOP 2 RANK records for the combination of Area, Country as below. i know head -2, which gives top 2 records from file but not sure it lists based on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
7 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)