Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rounding Script Help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rounding Script Help Post 302375348 by kingrj46 on Friday 27th of November 2009 10:28:23 AM
Old 11-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcampton
variables cannot contain spaces, and neither should file names.

unix not windows...

actually most languages do not allow this, c/c++ java, to name a few.
Not sure I follow. I dont think i put any spaces in either. Is there something I missed?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding off using BC.

Hello again. I'm trying to use BC to calculate some numbers in a shell script. I want to have the numbers rounded off to 1 decimal place. for example: initsize=1566720 zipsize=4733 I'm trying to get the ratio between them. the equation is: (($initsize-$zipsize)/$initsize)*100 so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noodlesoup
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rounding problem

Hi, Can any one help me in finding a solution for rounding off to 2 decimal places. I am using the following code: VAR1=.01292105263157894736 VAR2=`echo "scale=2; $VAR1 * 100" | bc -l` The result I 'm getting is 1.29210526315789473600 But I need the output as 1.29 Thanks Shash (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding off to the next whole number

Hello, I searched a lot on this Forum. Please help me with the below problem. I want to divide two numbers and the result should be the next nearest whole number. E.G. Dividing 10.8/5 ideally gives 2.16. But the result should be 3 i.e. rounded off to the next whole number. Any help will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damansingh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding issue with awk

Hi Friends, I am trying to round following number. 0.07435000 echo "0.07435000"|awk '{printf "%s\n",$1*100}'|awk '{printf "%.2f\n",$1}' It returns: 7.435 It should return: 7.44 Any suggestion please? Thanks, Prashant (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
2 Replies

5. Linux

Rounding Script Help

I need some help with my rouding script. I have started pretty much from scratch and have no idea if its correct or even close but I have been trying and have gotten to this point. i keep getting syntax errors and im not sure what is wrong. Here is what I got let value=$1; while do let... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingrj46
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rounding a decimal

Hi, I am currently using tcsh I am trying to round a decimal number to the ten-thousandths place For instance: 1.23456 is rounded up towards 1.2346 I am not looking for truncation, but for rounding. Anyone know how to do this with awk or expr? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miniwheats
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding number, but....

Dear Experts, I'm trying to find a way to round a number but in this way: 14367.577 ---> 14000 I used the following to round the number to the closer integer: echo $var|awk '{print int($1+0.5)}' and also: xargs printf "%1.0f" However, they don't work for my above... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding off decimal values

Hi Friends, This is my last post for today. My input file is chr1 100 200 chr1 123 300 chr1 300 400 chr1 420 520 chr10 132344343 132348674 When I try using this command awk '{v=($3+$2)/2; print $0"\t"v}' 1 This is my output chr1 100 200 150 chr1 123 300 211.5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restrict Rounding using Printf?

Hello, I am using bash shell on Linux OS, May i please know why is it rounding for big numbers but not for others, is there a workaround to print it as it is with out round off? printf '%'\''.2f\n' 9999999999999999999.99 10,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 printf '%'\''.2f\n' 99999999999999.99... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rounding off a decimal

How to round off a decimal number to higher whole number using ceil command in unix? Eg. 4.41 or 4.11 or 4.51 should be rounded off to 5. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayKumar28
11 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2009-11-24 Test::Script(3)