Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Logins command exit status is 236 not 0 Post 302375228 by parkea2 on Friday 27th of November 2009 04:16:17 AM
Old 11-27-2009
Thanks that was very useful information. To round this off is there any HP formal documents describing this as working as designed ? or would a defect be an acceptable path.

Though the described work around is fine for me on the command line. We have discovered that the 3rd party software hangs with the workaround in place. So its likely the 3rd party needs to adjust the application or HP would need to return correct exit codes i.e '0' for success.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to find the exit status of last command in Unix?

Hi, I want to find the exit status of the last executed command in C Shell. Tried $? but getting the error Variable syntax...$? does not seem to work in C shell.. is there any other command in C shell to find the exit status of last command? Thanks in advance, raju (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajugp1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find the exit status for the last executed command

I am executing a find command in my script i.e find $2 -type f -name '*.gif' -mtime +$1 -exec rm {} \; how do i check that this command is executed properly.. i would lke t trap the errror and display my error message kinly help.. this is an urgent issue. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay.amirthraj
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the exit status of a remote command

Hi to everyone. How can I get the exit status from a remote command executed with rexec? :eek: machine A has RedHat Linux 9 and the remote machine B has SCO UNIX. Code: rexec -l user -p password host sh /u/files/scripts/seq_cal.sh 2006 08 I want the exit status returned by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zoonalex
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit status of command in a pipe line

Hi, I am trying to test the exit status of the cleartool lsvtree statement below, but it doesn't seem to be working due to the tail pipe, which it is testing instead. Is there a way around this without adding a tonne of new code? cleartool lsvtree $testlocation/$exe_name | tail -15 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: topcat8
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move Command and exit status problem

Hi All, I am using the following code to move files from one folder to another on the remote server: ssh username@server <<EOF cd source_dir find . -type f -name "*.txt" |xargs -n1000 -i{} mv {} dest_dir if then send mail indicating error otherwise echo "success" fi EOF ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: visingha
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move Command and exit status problem

Hi All, I am using the following code to move files from one folder to another on the remote server: ssh username@server <<EOF cd source_dir find . -type f -name "*.txt" |xargs -n1000 -i{} mv {} dest_dir if then send mail indicating error otherwise echo "success" fi EOF ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: visingha
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Equivalents of tee command to find exit status of command

Hi, Want to log the output of command & check the exit status to find whether it succeeded or failed. > ls abc ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 1 > ls abc 2>&1 | tee log ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 0 Tee commands changes my exit status to be always... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exit Status Of Find Command

Hello All, I am trying to capture the exit status of find command and want to delete the files only when it is successful. But it is always returning me as success even if the pattern of that file doesn't exist in the current directory. please help, checked manual page but couldn't able to figure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Status of Command

Hi All, I am doing an export and import (datapump) of 4 schema. I know we can do an export of 4 schema in one command. But just want to know how to check the exit status if i do the export/import of 4 schema in different commands in background. Please suggest. Thanks, Mani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the exit status of a 'nohup' command using 'PID'.

Hello All, I need to run a set of scripts, say 50 of them, parallely. I'm running these 50 scripts, from inside a script with the help of 'nohup' command. 1.The fifty scripts are stored in a separate file. 2.In a master script, i'm reading every line of the file through loop and executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
4 Replies
logins(1M)						  System Administration Commands						logins(1M)

NAME
logins - list user and system login information SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/logins [-admopstux] [-g group...] [-l login_name...] DESCRIPTION
This command displays information on user and system logins known to the system. Contents of the output is controlled by the command options and can include the following: user or system login, user id number, passwd account field value (user name or other information), primary group name, primary group id, multiple group names, multiple group ids, home directory, login shell, and four password aging param- eters. The default information is the following: login id, user id, primary group name, primary group id and the account field value. Out- put is sorted by user id, system logins, followed by user logins. OPTIONS
Options may be used together. If so, any login that matches any criteria are displayed. The following options are supported: -a Add two password expiration fields to the display. The fields show how many days a password can remain unused before it automatically becomes inactive, and the date that the password expires. -d Selects logins with duplicate uids. -g group Selects all users belonging to group, sorted by login. Multiple groups can be specified as a comma-separated list. When the -l and -g options are combined, a user is only listed once, even if the user belongs to more than one of the selected groups. -l login_name...Selects the requested login. Multiple logins can be specified as a comma-separated list. Depending on the nameservice lookup types set in /etc/nsswitch.conf, the information can come from the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files and other nameservices. When the -l and -g options are combined, a user is only listed once, even if the user belongs to more than one of the selected groups. -m Displays multiple group membership information. -o Formats output into one line of colon-separated fields. -p Selects logins with no passwords. -s Selects all system logins. -t Sorts output by login instead of by uid. -u Selects all user logins. -x Prints an extended set of information about each selected user. The extended information includes home directory, login shell and password aging information, each displayed on a separate line. The password information consists of password status (PS for password, NP for no password or LK for locked). If the login is passworded, status is followed by the date the password was last changed, the number of days required between changes, and the number of days allowed before a change is required. The password aging information shows the time interval that the user receives a password expiration warning message (when logging on) before the password expires. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 logins(1M)