Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rounding Script Help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rounding Script Help Post 302375172 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 26th of November 2009 08:17:58 PM
Old 11-26-2009
Your script seems to have a considerable disregard for syntax. I suggest you start with some minimal segments of your code and just see if they work.

---------- Post updated at 02:17 ---------- Previous update was at 02:02 ----------

Alright, here you go. I turned it further into a bash/ksh kind of script:
Code:
value=$1
for (( magn=1;value>magn*10; magn*=10 ))
do
  (( digit=(value/magn)%10 ))
  if (( digit >= 5 ))
  then
    (( value+=(10-digit)*magn ))
  else
    (( value-=(digit*magn) ))
  fi
done
echo $value

It doesn't work right, but at least it runs Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding off using BC.

Hello again. I'm trying to use BC to calculate some numbers in a shell script. I want to have the numbers rounded off to 1 decimal place. for example: initsize=1566720 zipsize=4733 I'm trying to get the ratio between them. the equation is: (($initsize-$zipsize)/$initsize)*100 so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noodlesoup
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rounding problem

Hi, Can any one help me in finding a solution for rounding off to 2 decimal places. I am using the following code: VAR1=.01292105263157894736 VAR2=`echo "scale=2; $VAR1 * 100" | bc -l` The result I 'm getting is 1.29210526315789473600 But I need the output as 1.29 Thanks Shash (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding off to the next whole number

Hello, I searched a lot on this Forum. Please help me with the below problem. I want to divide two numbers and the result should be the next nearest whole number. E.G. Dividing 10.8/5 ideally gives 2.16. But the result should be 3 i.e. rounded off to the next whole number. Any help will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damansingh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding issue with awk

Hi Friends, I am trying to round following number. 0.07435000 echo "0.07435000"|awk '{printf "%s\n",$1*100}'|awk '{printf "%.2f\n",$1}' It returns: 7.435 It should return: 7.44 Any suggestion please? Thanks, Prashant (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
2 Replies

5. Linux

Rounding Script Help

I need some help with my rouding script. I have started pretty much from scratch and have no idea if its correct or even close but I have been trying and have gotten to this point. i keep getting syntax errors and im not sure what is wrong. Here is what I got let value=$1; while do let... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingrj46
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rounding a decimal

Hi, I am currently using tcsh I am trying to round a decimal number to the ten-thousandths place For instance: 1.23456 is rounded up towards 1.2346 I am not looking for truncation, but for rounding. Anyone know how to do this with awk or expr? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miniwheats
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding number, but....

Dear Experts, I'm trying to find a way to round a number but in this way: 14367.577 ---> 14000 I used the following to round the number to the closer integer: echo $var|awk '{print int($1+0.5)}' and also: xargs printf "%1.0f" However, they don't work for my above... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding off decimal values

Hi Friends, This is my last post for today. My input file is chr1 100 200 chr1 123 300 chr1 300 400 chr1 420 520 chr10 132344343 132348674 When I try using this command awk '{v=($3+$2)/2; print $0"\t"v}' 1 This is my output chr1 100 200 150 chr1 123 300 211.5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restrict Rounding using Printf?

Hello, I am using bash shell on Linux OS, May i please know why is it rounding for big numbers but not for others, is there a workaround to print it as it is with out round off? printf '%'\''.2f\n' 9999999999999999999.99 10,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 printf '%'\''.2f\n' 99999999999999.99... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rounding off a decimal

How to round off a decimal number to higher whole number using ceil command in unix? Eg. 4.41 or 4.11 or 4.51 should be rounded off to 5. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayKumar28
11 Replies
SCITOOLS(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SCITOOLS(1)

NAME
scitools - run a SciTools command SYNOPSIS
scitools command [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
The scitools script takes a command and runs a corresponding utility. The available commands are listed below. file2interactive Utility for taking a set of Python statements in a file and creating the corresponding interactive Python shell session. floatdiff Script for examining differences in regression tests involving floating-point numbers. Used in [1]. regression Simple front-end script to SciTools' Regression module. Used in [1]. ps2mpeg Utility for turning a set of PostScript files into an MPEG movie, using mpeg_encode or ppmtompeg. profiler Script for simplifying the execution of Python's profiling tools. Used in [1]. rename Script for renaming a set of files by substituting one string or regular expression with another. subst Script for subsituting a phrase by another in a set of files. Accepts regular expressions. Treated in [1]. replace Script for subsituting a phrase by another in a set of files. Does not use regular expressions, just plain text (well suited for substituting text with much use of backslashes, curly braces, and other special characters in regular expressions (e.g., LaTeX text). movie Script for creating a movie file from a sequence of image files (frames). By default an HTML file for displaying the image (PNG) files are made. pyreport Processes a Python script and pretty prints the results using LateX. If the script uses show() commands (from scitools.easyviz) they are caught by pyreport and the resulting graphs are inserted in the output pdf. Comments lines starting with "#!" are interpreted as rst lines and pretty printed accordingly in the pdf. [1] H. P. Langtangen: Python Scripting for Computational Science. Third edition, second printing. Springer, 2009. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show usage for all commands and exit. BUGS
Send comments, questions, bug reports etc. to scitools@googlegroups.com. LICENSE
SciTools is licensed under the new BSD license. AUTHOR
SciTools is written by Hans Petter Langtangen <hpl@simula.no>, Johannes Ring <johannr@simula.no>, Ilmar Wilbers <ilmarw@simula.no>, and Rolv E. Bredesen <rolv@simula.no>. This manual page is written by Johannes Ring <johannr@simula.no>. SCITOOLS(1)