Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) [launchd] Creating a basic firewall Post 302375163 by ASGR on Thursday 26th of November 2009 05:47:21 PM
Old 11-26-2009
Thanks.

That was going to be an alternative solution to the preferable
of letting launchd handle the whole process but I couldn't find a
way for launchd to detect when a socket was 'created' for it to
down the connection or execute a script.

I would have to shift the whole process to bash and run the script
in daemon mode using, as someone suggested, lsof or dtrace. I did
look into both those binaries but the output from them would have
been too much to parse.

I was thinking of using the 'WatchPath' or 'QueueDirectories' to
monitor the /tmp directory, but I don't know if the socket name
file would be consistent.

Also, I 'll email the dev team to see if I'm missing something
or if they will consider it for a future release. In the mean time,
I'll have to consider a purpose built binary like snort.

A.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

interval in a launchd script

Hi, i'm planning a to automate my backup with a rsync user deamon in my launchd and let that run every 2 hours. my server contains a lot of video data which can expand rapidly , up to 1TB, in an interval of 2 hours. now i'm wondering what will happen when a rsync is running longer then the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wessel
1 Replies

2. Programming

Creating a basic UNIX shell script for chatting

Hey guys, This is quite simply what I'm trying to make: A program that runs in a UNIX terminal that you can output text messages to from another machine. These text messages would be prepended with a customized prompt. I'd also like to have the window spew out random dumps of flavor text not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AcerAspirant
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Launchd-owned processes unexpected behavior

Ok, so I have been struggling with this for a few days and I think I need an explanation of a few things before I go any further. I'm not sure it's possible to do what I'm trying, so before I pull my hair out, here is what I'm doing: I have written a program in LiveCode that sits on our... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect command when triggered by launchd

Hi folks, Im having trouble with an expect command in a shell script I use to back up mac os x servers. This one is being run on a 10.8.2 Server as part of a larger bash script. The script executes perfectly all the way through when triggered on the command line, but when launchd triggers it at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowie718
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

iptables nat/masquerade - how to act as a basic firewall?

edit: SOLVED - see below for solution Hi there, I've inherited a gob of Linux hosts and so am learning linux from the bottom of the deep end of the pool (gotta say I'm warming up to Linux though - it's not half bad) Right now iptables is confusing me and I could use some pointers as to how... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
0 Replies
pridist.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						     pridist.d(1m)

NAME
pridist.d - process priority distribution. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
pridist.d DESCRIPTION
This is a simple DTrace script that samples at 1000 Hz which process is on the CPUs, and what the priority is. A distribution plot is printed. With priorities, the higher the priority the better chance the process (actually, thread) has of being scheduled. This idea came from the script /usr/demo/dtrace/profpri.d, which produces similar output for one particular PID. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
This samples until Ctrl-C is hit. # pridist.d FIELDS
CMD process name PID process ID value process priority count number of samples of at least this priority BASED ON
/usr/demo/dtrace/profpri.d DOCUMENTATION
DTrace Guide "profile Provider" chapter (docs.sun.com) See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
pridist.d will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. SEE ALSO
dispadmin(1M), dtrace(1M) version 0.90 Jun 13, 2005 pridist.d(1m)