Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Customised Output
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Customised Output Post 302374999 by ashok.g on Thursday 26th of November 2009 06:20:10 AM
Old 11-26-2009
Thanks for your reply. But I want to display the filenames seperated by tab. Actually, I am new to LInux. I dont know what is xargs?
Its better if you tell me for what we use xargs also.

Thanking you,

---------- Post updated at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:46 PM ----------

Thanks Dude its all working fine with the code..... Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

customised functions...

I am going to build some commands/functions for common tasks that I have to perform (things like searching a filesystem for a certain string in a file). I intend to write these as unix scripts. Then adding the location of these to my path. How can I ensure that the variables specified when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

customised filename

Hi, I am taking an output and redirecting it to a file name and this is a hourly or daily process , in this case, i want my file output as some logoutput_date_time.txt how can i form the file name like this for eg i am running this command now, so tail -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make a line BLINKING in output and also how to increase font size in output

how to make a line BLINKING in output and also how to increase font size in output suppose in run a.sh script inside echo "hello world " i want that this should blink in the output and also the font size of hello world should be big .. could you please help me out in this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

running customised firewall -RHEL 4

I have created a custom firewall script in RHEL 4 .Let me explain the steps which i followed . etho -Internal lan eth1 -External lan During the installtion of RHEL 4 ,i enabled Firewall and after booting to x windows i selected enable firewall and defined the defined and customised ports... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sud.tech
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: round output or delimit output of arithmatic string

I have a file with the following content. > cat /tmp/internetusage.txt 6709.296322 30000 2/7/2010 0.00I am using the following awk command to calculate a percentage from field 1 and 2 from the file. awk '{ print $1/$2*100 }' /tmp/internetusage.txt This outputs the value "22.3643" as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

customised error message..

Hi, Below is the script that takes some value from the properties file and then move the file from files folder to output folder based upon the modification time of files(configurable N days value),now at the end I want to show a customised message that if no files are moved then it shows the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul125
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script to run a sql and print the output to an output file

Hi All, I have around 900 Select Sql's which I would like to run in an awk script and print the output of those sql's in an txt file. Can you anyone pls let me know how do I do it and execute the awk script? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adept
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying log file pattern output in tabular form output

Hi All, I have result log file which looks like this (below): from the content need to consolidate the result and put it in tabular form 1). Intercomponents Checking Passed: All Server are passed. ====================================================================== 2). OS version Checking... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
9 Replies

10. Red Hat

Command understanding the output file destination in case of standard output!!!!!

I ran the following command. cat abc.c > abc.c I got message the following message from command cat: cat: abc.c : input file is same as the output file How the command came to know of the destination file name as the command is sending output to standard file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies
XARGS(1)						      General Commands Manual							  XARGS(1)

NAME
xargs - construct argument list(s) and execute utility SYNOPSIS
xargs [ -t ][[ -x ] -n number ][ -s size ][ utility [ arguments... ]] DESCRIPTION
The xargs utility reads space, tab, newline and end-of-file delimited arguments from the standard input and executes the specified utility with them as arguments. The utility and any arguments specified on the command line are given to the utility upon each invocation, followed by some number of the arguments read from standard input. The utility is repeatedly executed until standard input is exhausted. Spaces, tabs and newlines may be embedded in arguments using single (`` ' '') or double (``"'') quotes or backslashes (``''). Single quotes escape all non-single quote characters, excluding newlines, up to the matching single quote. Double quotes escape all non-double quote characters, excluding newlines, up to the matching double quote. Any single character, including newlines, may be escaped by a back- slash. The options are as follows: -n number Set the maximum number of arguments taken from standard input for each invocation of the utility. An invocation of utility will use less than number standard input arguments if the number of bytes accumulated (see the s option) exceeds the specified size or there are fewer than number arguments remaining for the last invocation of utility. The current default value for number is 5000. -s size Set the maximum number of bytes for the command line length provided to utility. The sum of the length of the utility name and the arguments passed to utility (including /dev/null terminators) will be less than or equal to this number. The current default value for size is ARG_MAX - 2048. -t Echo the command to be executed to standard error immediately before it is executed. -x Force xargs to terminate immediately if a command line containing number arguments will not fit in the specified (or default) command line length. If no utility is specified, echo(1) is used. Undefined behavior may occur if utility reads from the standard input. The xargs utility exits immediately (without processing any further input) if a command line cannot be assembled, utility cannot be invoked, an invocation of the utility is terminated by a signal or an invocation of the utility exits with a value of 255. The xargs utility exits with a value of 0 if no error occurs. If utility cannot be invoked, xargs exits with a value of 127. If any other error occurs, xargs exits with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
echo(1), find(1) STANDARDS
The xargs utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2("POSIX") compliant. June 6, 1993 XARGS(1)