Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formatting ls output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Formatting ls output Post 302374679 by TonyLawrence on Wednesday 25th of November 2009 08:09:23 AM
Old 11-25-2009
Pipe it to awk and print whatever fields you want in whatver order.

Code:
| awk ' | awk '{print $8 $4}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the output

Hi all, Have the following code(1) producing the results(2 & 3). Would like to know if there is a way to format the two reports created in a similar fashion. IE - The first is formatted nicely as a result of the echo "$xmpbdate $xavgs" >> $xmpbrpt However when I attempt to do the same on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting output

Hi need some advice.. #grep -i hostname test.csv (gives the below output) HOSTNAME,name,host_test,,,,,,,, Now I need to format the above output as below. HOSTNAME: name=host_test Any easy way of doing this using awk or sed or printf? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting Output

Hi I tried running the below awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%s %-51s %s %-7s %s",$var1,$var2,$var3,$var4,$var5)}' from the command prompt and it is not working. Getting the error awk: Field $() is not correct. The source line number is 1. Actually my requirement is to form a string based on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

more help with formatting ls output...

Ok, for a fun project, my goal is to replicate the style of "catalog" on an old apple ] *A 002 SOMEAPPLESOFTFILE B 004 SOMEFILE T 006 SOMETEXT I 002 SOMEINTEGERFILE The first character is either " " or "*" depending on if the file is locked or not. Next is the filetype, so in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting output

Sorry for being a n00b, but I'm having a lot more trouble than I should with formatting the output to the program I finally completed. I'm basically looking for the linux equivalent to setw( ) from c++ so that I can print things in columns like this (but without the underlines lol): MISSPELLED: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aikaterinimak
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting of output

Hi Experts, I have to create a report for certain audit and my output looks as follows I m trying to format my output to look like Any inputs would be highly appreciated Thanks Syed (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output Formatting

Hi Guys I need help removing some lines from output i am receiving from a shell script. Here is the output: http://i52.tinypic.com/10z0fut.png I am trying to remove the output that i have circled. . ${EDW}/extracts/bin/extracts_setup2.sh . ${EDW}/extracts/extracts.conf ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mooey1232003
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the output

Hi, I have a file which contents entries in this form. Only in /data4/temp abc.000001 Only in /data4/temp abc.000003 Only in /data4/temp abc.000012 Only in /data4/temp abc.000120 Only in /data4/temp abc.000133 Only in /data4/temp abc.001444 i want to read line by line and format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
2 Replies

9. AIX

Help Formatting Output

I am using FORTRAN 90 on AIX 5.3 and need to output my data to a tab-delimited file. It must have actual tabs, and I cannot figure out a way to make it work. The resulting file will be imported into another application (quickbooks) as an .iif file....for some reason, it needs the tabs; spaces do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KathyB148
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the Output

Hi, I am trying to use printf command and format certain output in a specific format as under: While the left side (upto |) of the above format is part of a fixed header function, the right side is where i am expecting data to be printed. However, as seen, Row1 value is reflecting on last... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
5 Replies
rl(1)								   User Commands							     rl(1)

NAME
rl - Randomize Lines. SYNOPSIS
rl [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
rl reads lines from a input file or stdin, randomizes the lines and outputs a specified number of lines. It does this with only a single pass over the input while trying to use as little memory as possible. -c, --count=N Select the number of lines to be returned in the output. If this argument is omitted all the lines in the file will be returned in random order. If the input contains less lines than specified and the --reselect option below is not specified a warning is printed and all lines are returned in random order. -r, --reselect When using this option a single line may be selected multiple times. The default behaviour is that any input line will only be selected once. This option makes it possible to specify a --count option with more lines than the file actually holds. -o, --output=FILE Send randomized lines to FILE instead of stdout. -d, --delimiter=DELIM Use specified character as a "line" delimiter instead of the newline character. -0, --null Input lines are terminated by a null character. This option is useful to process the output of the GNU find -print0 option. -n, --line-number Output lines are numbered with the line number from the input file. -q, --quiet, --silent Be quiet about any errors or warnings. -h, --help Show short summary of options. -v, --version Show version of program. EXAMPLES
Some simple demonstrations of how rl can help you do everyday tasks. Play a random sound after 4 minutes (perfect for toast): sleep 240 ; play `find /sounds -name '*.au' -print | rl --count=1` Play the 15 most recent .mp3 files in random order. ls -c *.mp3 | head -n 15 | rl | xargs --delimiter=' ' play Roll a dice: seq 6 | rl --count 2 Roll a dice 1000 times and see which number comes up more often: seq 6 | rl --reselect --count 1000 | sort | uniq -c | sort -n Shuffle the words of a sentence: echo -n "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain." | rl --delimiter=' ';echo Find all movies and play them in random order. find . -name '*.avi' -print0 | rl -0 | xargs -n 1 -0 mplayer Because -0 is used filenames with spaces (even newlines and other unusual characters) in them work. BUGS
The program currently does not have very smart memory management. If you feed it huge files and expect it to fully randomize all lines it will completely read the file in memory. If you specify the --count option it will only use the memory required for storing the specified number of lines. Improvements on this area are on the TODO list. The program uses the rand() system random function. This function returns a number between 0 and RAND_MAX, which may not be very large on some systems. This will result in non-random results for files containing more lines than RAND_MAX. Note that if you specify multiple input files they are randomized per file. This is a different result from when you cat all the files and pipe the result into rl. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Arthur de Jong. This is free software; see the license for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Version 0.2.7 Jul 2008 rl(1)