Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number? Post 302374610 by garethr on Wednesday 25th of November 2009 04:35:45 AM
Old 11-25-2009
If the file is open, would "lsof" help? You could list all files opened by the process.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to map a disk block to filename/ Inode

Hi, I want to find out a particular disk block belong to which file. in solaris 2.8 Can anyone help. Thanks and Regards Bala (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamurugan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Inode Number Not Unique

Hi, I know that inode for each file is unique, but is it the for the directory? So far I found different directories has the same inode nubmer when you do ls -i, could some one explain why? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj302
9 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inode number

as kernel keeps track of user activities on a file by its INODE number and I node table . what is the structure of Inode table. and where does this Inode table mapped into?user space or kernel space? is the Inode Number is fixed for a file till its deletion? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: compbug
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find out pathname from inode number

Hi all when I execute pmap command on one of my daemon process, I am able to see the following output. Address Kbytes RSS Anon Locked Mode Mapped File 00010000 40 40 - - r-x-- irs026bmd 00028000 56 56 16 - rwx-- irs026bmd 00036000... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of Inode on a disk

How we can know number of inode present in my Disk including free and occupied. Is there any tool or program to know how much free inode are there in inode free list . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_deb
2 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Recreating a deleted hardlink to a file if I know the inode number

At risk of twisting the rules to nearly the point of breaking (if you think this goes too far mods, I apologise and accept that this should be deleted), I'm hoping someone might be able to cast a little light on the following problem regarding hard links to files. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inode filename

can someone please tell me why is the filename not inlcuded in the inode of the file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wowman
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I get only FileName associated with a INODE on Unix much faster?

How can I get only FileName associated with a INODE on Unix in seconds instead of minutes, as it is the case for me as shown below. # Say I have FileDescriptor: 43, INODE: 2590784, File: abc.rdb. I want to get only filename associated with inode:2590784 and FD:43. $> time find / -inum... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux

Hi, I have created a file abc.log in Redhat Linux. Inode number for a file get changes every time i update the file using vi editor. Is there any setting that can be made , such that inode number never gets changed? Or if we cannot restrict from inode number getting changed , is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
9 Replies

10. Solaris

Retreive deleted file name if you having inode number

Some one please help me to find deleted file name, if I am having inode number in Solaris without using any 3rd party tool. Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
3 Replies
FIFO(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FIFO(7)

NAME
fifo - first-in first-out special file, named pipe DESCRIPTION
A FIFO special file (a named pipe) is similar to a pipe, except that it is accessed as part of the file system. It can be opened by multi- ple processes for reading or writing. When processes are exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all data internally without writ- ing it to the file system. Thus, the FIFO special file has no contents on the file system; the file system entry merely serves as a refer- ence point so that processes can access the pipe using a name in the file system. The kernel maintains exactly one pipe object for each FIFO special file that is opened by at least one process. The FIFO must be opened on both ends (reading and writing) before data can be passed. Normally, opening the FIFO blocks until the other end is opened also. A process can open a FIFO in nonblocking mode. In this case, opening for read only will succeed even if no-one has opened on the write side yet, opening for write only will fail with ENXIO (no such device or address) unless the other end has already been opened. Under Linux, opening a FIFO for read and write will succeed both in blocking and nonblocking mode. POSIX leaves this behavior undefined. This can be used to open a FIFO for writing while there are no readers available. A process that uses both ends of the connection in order to communicate with itself should be very careful to avoid deadlocks. NOTES
When a process tries to write to a FIFO that is not opened for read on the other side, the process is sent a SIGPIPE signal. FIFO special files can be created by mkfifo(3), and are indicated by ls -l with the file type 'p'. SEE ALSO
mkfifo(1), open(2), pipe(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), socketpair(2), mkfifo(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 FIFO(7)