Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting assign awk output to bash variable Post 302374465 by macnetdaemon on Tuesday 24th of November 2009 01:44:35 PM
Old 11-24-2009
thank you folks

All set - works perfect.

thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to assign an output to a variable

Hi, I am giving a grep command, and i am getting the output. i want to store it in a variable for eg a = grep '12345' /dir/1/2/log.txt ( the output is number) b= grep 'basic' /dir/1/2/log1.txt (in this case the output is character) so how to assign the output of grep to a variable ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

hot to assign output to a variable

I want to assign a comment to a veriable for example my program head -1 myfile I want to assıgn output to a variable (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnut
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign bash command to variable

Hi I am trying to write a function that needs to be able to assign the last run shell command to a variable. The actual command string itself not the exit code of the command. I am using the bash command recall ability to do this as follows: alias pb='ps | grep ash' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash assign string to variable

Hi ,I am trying to assign string to variable ,but it doesn't work Also could you show me different ways to use grep,(I am trying to get the first,second and first column form file,and I am counting the chars) let name=`grep "$id" product | cut -c6-20` (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
25 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

In bash script, how to assign output of a command to a variable while keeping tabs?

Hi, wondering if it's been asked before but didn't find matches from google. Basically I have this line: myvar=$(echo -e "a\tb") Now somehow the '\t' from the echo output gets replaced with white space and then stored in $myvar. It creates a problem for me later to use tab as delimiter to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: birddie
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on awk---- need to assign the output of awk to a variable

hi i want to find the size of a folder and assign it to a variable and then compare if it is greater than 1 gb. i am doin this script, but it is throwing error.... #!/bin/ksh cd . | du -s | size = awk '{print $1}' if size >= 112000 then echo size high fi ERROR : (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to assign command output to variable

Code set -x STATUS="0" echo $STATUS for i in `ls -ltr Report*|awk '{ print $9 }'` do if then flg = "`head -1 "$i" |cut -c 31-33`" echo `head -1 "$i" |cut -c 31-33` echo $flg if then echo "having Fun" STATUS="2" else echo "no Fun" fi fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funkeydude
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign output to dynamic variable

Hi Folks, I am trying to assign a value from the command to a dynamic variable. But I am not getting the desired output.. I am sure something is wrong so i need experts advise. There will be multiple files like /var/tmp/server_1, /var/tmp/server_2, /var/tmp/server_3, having different server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I assign the output of a command to a variable within a loop in bash?

In the else of the main if condition . else set lnk = $(readlink -f <path> | cut -d '/' -f7) echo "$lnk" if ] When I run the above on command line , the execution seems to be fine and I get the desired output. But when I try to assign it to a variable within a loop... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using read to assign value to bash variable not working

Hi, I am attempting to assign the output of the following command, to two bash variables, var1 and var2 using "read," but it doesn't seem to be working. # openstack hypervisor stats show | awk -F'|' 'NR==14{print $2,$3}' vcpus 92 # echo $? 0 # openstack hypervisor... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
4 Replies
Algorithm::Munkres(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Algorithm::Munkres(3pm)

NAME
Algorithm::Munkres - Perl extension for Munkres' solution to classical Assignment problem for square and rectangular matrices This module extends the solution of Assignment problem for square matrices to rectangular matrices by padding zeros. Thus a rectangular matrix is converted to square matrix by padding necessary zeros. SYNOPSIS
use Algorithm::Munkres; @mat = ( [2, 4, 7, 9], [3, 9, 5, 1], [8, 2, 9, 7], ); assign(@mat,@out_mat); Then the @out_mat array will have the output as: (0,3,1,2), where 0th element indicates that 0th row is assigned 0th column i.e value=2 1st element indicates that 1st row is assigned 3rd column i.e.value=1 2nd element indicates that 2nd row is assigned 1st column.i.e.value=2 3rd element indicates that 3rd row is assigned 2nd column.i.e.value=0 DESCRIPTION
Assignment Problem: Given N jobs, N workers and the time taken by each worker to complete a job then how should the assignment of a Worker to a Job be done, so as to minimize the time taken. Thus if we have 3 jobs p,q,r and 3 workers x,y,z such that: x y z p 2 4 7 q 3 9 5 r 8 2 9 where the cell values of the above matrix give the time required for the worker(given by column name) to complete the job(given by the row name) then possible solutions are: Total 1. 2, 9, 9 20 2. 2, 2, 5 9 3. 3, 4, 9 16 4. 3, 2, 7 12 5. 8, 9, 7 24 6. 8, 4, 5 17 Thus(2) is the optimal solution for the above problem. This kind of brute-force approach of solving Assignment problem quickly becomes slow and bulky as N grows, because the number of possible solution are N! and thus the task is to evaluate each and then find the optimal solution.(If N=10, number of possible solutions: 3628800 !) Munkres' gives us a solution to this problem, which is implemented in this module. This module also solves Assignment problem for rectangular matrices (M x N) by converting them to square matrices by padding zeros. ex: If input matrix is: [2, 4, 7, 9], [3, 9, 5, 1], [8, 2, 9, 7] i.e 3 x 4 then we will convert it to 4 x 4 and the modified input matrix will be: [2, 4, 7, 9], [3, 9, 5, 1], [8, 2, 9, 7], [0, 0, 0, 0] EXPORT
"assign" function by default. INPUT
The input matrix should be in a two dimensional array(array of array) and the 'assign' subroutine expects a reference to this array and not the complete array. eg:assign(@inp_mat, @out_mat); The second argument to the assign subroutine is the reference to the output array. OUTPUT
The assign subroutine expects references to two arrays as its input paramenters. The second parameter is the reference to the output array. This array is populated by assign subroutine. This array is single dimensional Nx1 matrix. For above example the output array returned will be: (0, 2, 1) where 0th element indicates that 0th row is assigned 0th column i.e value=2 1st element indicates that 1st row is assigned 2nd column i.e.value=5 2nd element indicates that 2nd row is assigned 1st column.i.e.value=2 SEE ALSO
1. http://216.249.163.93/bob.pilgrim/445/munkres.html 2. Munkres, J. Algorithms for the assignment and transportation Problems. J. Siam 5 (Mar. 1957), 32-38 3. FranA~Xois Bourgeois and Jean-Claude Lassalle. 1971. An extension of the Munkres algorithm for the assignment problem to rectangular matrices. Communication ACM, 14(12):802-804 AUTHOR
Anagha Kulkarni, University of Minnesota Duluth kulka020 <at> d.umn.edu Ted Pedersen, University of Minnesota Duluth tpederse <at> d.umn.edu COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2007-2008, Ted Pedersen and Anagha Kulkarni This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. perl v5.10.0 2008-10-22 Algorithm::Munkres(3pm)