Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Order file by lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Order file by lines Post 302374372 by Max89 on Tuesday 24th of November 2009 09:10:44 AM
Old 11-24-2009
Order file by lines

My script(3 arguments $1 = folder,$2 extension,$3 string) should do the following things:
-Enter in the folder of $1(if exists).
-Put ls *.$2 > temp.txt ( I use a temp file to store the result of ls command and if $2 = txt in this file I'll have all the .txt files of the folder)
-Now I want to return a list of files where the string $3 exists.

>temp.txt
>temp2.txt
ls *.$2 > temp.txt
cat temp.txt | head -1 |grep "$3" > temp2.txt
cat temp2.txt

But it doesn't print anything.
I'd like to sort the temp file with the .$2 extensions by lines and with a loop grep every line(if $? of grep returns 0 a put the file on the result file).

Maybe there are quickest method to do this but I want some script easy to understand(I don't know a lot of commands).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove duplicate lines of a record without changing the order

Hi all, I have to remove duplicate lines in a file without chainging the order.for eg if i have a record pqr def abc lmn pqr abc mkh hgf the output should be pqr def abc lmn mkh hgf (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi.roy03
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep lines in the particular order?

Hi guys, I am stuck on a simple issue but couldn't find a simple solution. If you have any ideas please help. I have two files : - FILE1 Tue 09/12 Lindsey Wed 09/13 Randy Thu 09/14 Susan Fri 09/15 Randy Sat 09/16 Lindsey Sun ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_2921
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing order of lines in a file

how can i reverse the line order in text files? (but total number of the lines is not constant ) for example i have a file like this: line1 line2 line3 . . lineN i wantto make it like this: lineN . . . line3 (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
26 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep lines with specific words up in an order

I hava a file with following data: number|CREDIT_ID|NULL date|SYS_CREATION_DATE|NULL varchar2|GGS_COMMIT_CHAR|NULL varchar2|GGS_OP_TYPE|NULL number|GGS_SCN|NULL| number|GGS_LOG_SEQ|NULL number|GGS_LOG_POS|NULL number|GGS_ORACREC_SCN|NULL varchar2|BATCH_ID|NULL char|GGS_IMAGE_TYPE|NULL ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kolesunil
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to swap order of pairs of lines?

This seems to be a question whose answer uses sed or awk. For a file like: a b c d e How to swap the order of the line pairs, to end up with: b a d c e All lines from the original file need to wind up in the output file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rd5817
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print selected lines from file in order

I need to extract selected lines from a log file, I can use grep to pull one line matching 'x' or matching 'y', how can I run through the log printing both matching lines in order top to bottom. i.e line 1 xyz - not needed line 2 User01 - needed line 3 123 - not needed line 4 Info - needed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosslm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting lines between patterns in alphabetical order

Hi, need help in sorting lines between strings "<section status = “ole-service”>" and "</section>" in alphabetical order, based on the text in red. Hoping for an AWK or SED solution. Thank you. ... <section status = “ole-service”>... <p service = "OOO">XZZ</p> <p service = "AAA">AAA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioavi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File w/ many line pairs--how do I order based on 1st lines only?

I have a file in which the data is stored in pairs of lines. The first line (beginining with ">") is a header, the second line is a sequence. I would like to sort the file by species name. Desired output for the example file: I can use sort -t'_' -k2 to alphabetize headers in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Consolidate several lines of a CSV file with firewall rules, in order to parse them easier?

Consolidate several lines of a CSV file with firewall rules Hi guys. I have a CSV file, which I created using an HTML export from a Check Point firewall policy. Each rule is represented as several lines, in some cases. That occurs when a rule has several address sources, destinations or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: starriol
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with order lines from a file based on a pattern

Hi I need to order these lines from a txt file my file looks like this IMSI ........................ 1234567890 APN ......................... INTERNET.COM APN ......................... MMS.COM APN ......................... WAP.COM APN ......................... BA.COM IMSI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alone77
4 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)