Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) No terminal (tty) after ssh and telnet also Post 302374342 by Frank.Knobloch on Tuesday 24th of November 2009 07:12:49 AM
Old 11-24-2009
No terminal (tty) after ssh and telnet also

Hi all,

we are just confused about a strange problem on one server in production (XServer, running OSXS 10.5.6). It works normal for month. Since two day everthing seems to be fine also with one exception.

When we connect trough ssh we won't get a tty session. For testing purposes, we enabled telnet and try to connect from another server behind the firewall to the machine. But no "login" occured.

If you launch something like ssh user@machine "my command" you will get the output as normal.

We don't know the reason. Fact is, no system update oder software update was done since the last weeks and ssh worked properly till Saturday.

I think it's no problem of ssh. It's something behind ssh. But ssh -vvv won't give more information.

So our current workaround is ssh user@server "bash". But this is extremly uncomfortable without concrete ttys. Using this way and e.g. running vi will give the short information:

Code:
Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal
Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal

So this is also a hint, that ssh works, but something behind doesn't work. We don't find "interesting" things in message logs or so.

Any hints for further analyze?

Do anybody now which service or process will be responsible to return a "tty session" to ssh or telnet?

Frustrated but hopefull

Frank

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using telnet client from MacOSX's command line terminal

I'm completely new to Unix, but familiar with Mac OSX. I've just discovered the command line terminal feature of this new OS and I'm trying to learn how to telnet into my host's server to change permissions to allow executable cgi scripts for my website. Is there anyone who might be able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tylerl
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

like ssh telnet

I want to learn some commands like ssh, telnet and others where i can be tease. thanks for help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kostantinos
2 Replies

3. Linux

tty terminal permissions problem

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm having a problem on my Red Hat Enterprise 5 Server where my tty devices "tty" are being set to read only permissions. I need them to be set to 777 in order to write to the serial printers through a custome application. I have gone through many... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Netwrkengeer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to run a script over ssh, having issues with tty assignment

Hey folks! I'm trying to run a tcpdump command that monitors for possible malicious traffic. I want to be able to run this on any of several remote boxes that I monitor which all have different capture interfaces. I've gotten the script to the point where it logs into the box and attempts to run... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JASI
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read from terminal/keyboard > /dev/tty

Hi, I need to provide more than one character to "> /dev/tty" through terminal/keyboard input, I have this: ok=false while do echo " Enter r1 to reformat " > /dev/tty read choice case $choice in ) echo " bla bla bla " ;; done However, in this way,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences between Telnet and Terminal Emulation?

HI , I am little confused about differences between Telnet and Terminal Emulation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixhead
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Redirect the output of telnet command on a terminal to a file ?

(/home/user1)-> more script.sh #!/bin/ksh ( echo open devicename sleep 3; echo user; sleep 2; echo password; sleep 2; echo "/info/dump"; ---------> This needs to redirect to a file .Can be number of pages sleep 2; echo "exit" ) | telnet Please use code tags next time for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: necro98
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Access to Remote tty cli via ssh

Scenario: I would like the ability to be able to use the cli on a client that has remotely connected to me via my ssh server in my office and use their terminal to work remotely if I am in another remote location. Ex. The client reverse ssh's to my remote ssh server in my office. ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal telnet echos garbage

i am trying to make powerterm not echo back this charactor. ≥ When I press control-C I get it that telnet charactor/garbage echos back. how to turn off? where? what config? is there something in powerterm to switch on/off? I do not see it. Redhats offical statement is: "I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
ZSSH(1) 							       ZSSH								   ZSSH(1)

NAME
zssh - interactive file transfer wrapper for ssh SYNOPSIS
zssh [zssh options] [--] [ssh options] ztelnet [zssh options] [--] [telnet options] DESCRIPTION
zssh (Zmodem SSH) is a program for interactively transferring files to a remote machine while using the secure shell ( ssh ). It is intended to be a convenient alternative to scp , allowing to transfer files without having to open another session and re-authenticate one- self. zssh is an interactive wrapper for ssh used to switch the ssh connection between the remote shell and file transfers. This is achieved by using another tty/pty pair between the user and the local ssh process to plug either the user's tty (remote shell mode) or another process (file transfer mode) on the ssh connection. ztelnet behaves similarly to zssh, except telnet is used instead of ssh. It is equivalent to 'zssh -s "telnet -8 -E"' Files are transferred through the zmodem protocol, using the rz and sz commands. zssh behaves as an usual ssh session until the escape sequence is depressed ( default is ^@ which can be produced by pressing C-space, or C-2, or C-` ), which enables file transfer mode. A new prompt is then displayed, and commands can be executed locally to initiate file transfers (among other things). It roughly behaves as a local shell featuring line edition, history and completion (thanks to libreadline), globbing, and escape characters ( " ' and ). The following builtins are handled by zssh itself: ? , cd , disconnect , escape , exit , help , hook , quit , repeat , rz , suspend , sz , version cd <dir> change current directory disconnect disconnect and exit escape [^X] Change escape key to ^X. Without argument, print current escape key exit exit file transfer mode. ^D may also be used for this purpose. help print help and tips ? hook prg [args] Hook program 'prg' on the the pty. Its standard input and output will go through the ssh channel. typing 'sz'/'rz' is in fact equivalent to 'hook sz'/'hook rz' A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of this feature. quit same as exit. repeat repeats cmd forever (^C to interrupt). Useful for example if you use a remote script invoking "sz" and you don't want to be typing "rz" each time... Remember however that several files can be transferred by a single sz/rz pair so this is not usually necessary to use repeat. rz Receive files from the remote machine. runs rz and plugs the process on the ssh connection. running sz on the REMOTE machine is required : 1) run `sz <remote_file> ...' from the remote machine shell 2) press the escape sequence (C-space) to enter file transfer mode 3) run the `rz' builtin suspend suspend zssh (back to the local machine shell) sz <file> ... Send files to the remote machine. runs sz and plugs the process on the ssh connection. There is no need to manually run rz on the remote side. version print version information builtins rz , sz , hook and exit return to shell mode after completion. OPTIONS
-f --force Do not ask user any question -h --help show basic help -s cmd --shell cmd run cmd as remote shell instead of the default "ssh -e none" (zssh) or "telnet -8 -E" (ztelnet) ex: zssh -s "rsh -x" -V --version show version -z ^X --zssh-escape ^X set escape sequence to ^X -- may be used to separate zssh options from ssh ones Other arguments are passed verbatim to ssh/telnet/whatever. ENVIRONMENT
ZSSHESCAPE Setting the ZSSHESCAPE environment variable allows to override the default escape sequence. ZSSHESCAPE should contain only two characters of the form `^X', meaning that ^X is to be the new escape sequence. REQUIREMENTS
the following binaries need to be properly installed for zssh to work : ssh/telnet/... the remote shell to be executed (local machine) sz rz zmodem send and receive programs. Should be both on local and remote machine, and (hopefully) of compatible versions. TIPS
If file transfer is initiated but never completes ( ie a line like : Bytes Sent: 38144/4610624 BPS:3424 ETA 22:15 or Bytes Sent: 0/ 513 BPS:0 ETA 00:00 Retry 0: Got ZCAN can be seen, but transfer never completes ) Chances are the pty/tty on one of the systems are not 8-bit clean. (Linux is 8-bit clean, NetBSD is not). Using the -e (escape) option of rz should solve this problem. Transfers can be interrupted with ^C (somewhat experimental =) If you get stuck in rz/sz (for example you've just ran rz, but you then decided not to transmit anything), hit a dozen ^X (Ctrl-X, not the zssh escape!) to stop it Use `sz -y <files>' to overwrite files on the other side BUGS
/ LIMITATIONS You may sometimes have to hit return 2 or 3 times after file transfer completion in order get back to the shell. Some digits are usually displayed; don't worry it won't harm (you or your term) ... the tty may (sometimes) be somewhat upset after an interrupted transfer ( using ^C ). typing `reset' in this case should help. no pipe, redirection (and other stuff) support in shell ... but after all there are already wonderful shells around =) CREDITS
ttssh's author - Robert O'Callahan - for the original idea The sourceforge team. AUTHOR
Matthieu Lucotte <gounter@users.sourceforge.net> zssh homepage: http://zssh.sourceforge.net SEE ALSO
ssh(1), telnet(1), scp(1), sz(1), rz(1), readline(3), ZSSH
June 26, 2000 ZSSH(1)