Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) [launchd] Creating a basic firewall Post 302374188 by tlarkin on Monday 23rd of November 2009 05:08:17 PM
Old 11-23-2009
Have you thought about having launchd run a script for you to detect this? You could have launchd run a shell, perl, python, apple, or whatever script for you.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

interval in a launchd script

Hi, i'm planning a to automate my backup with a rsync user deamon in my launchd and let that run every 2 hours. my server contains a lot of video data which can expand rapidly , up to 1TB, in an interval of 2 hours. now i'm wondering what will happen when a rsync is running longer then the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wessel
1 Replies

2. Programming

Creating a basic UNIX shell script for chatting

Hey guys, This is quite simply what I'm trying to make: A program that runs in a UNIX terminal that you can output text messages to from another machine. These text messages would be prepended with a customized prompt. I'd also like to have the window spew out random dumps of flavor text not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AcerAspirant
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Launchd-owned processes unexpected behavior

Ok, so I have been struggling with this for a few days and I think I need an explanation of a few things before I go any further. I'm not sure it's possible to do what I'm trying, so before I pull my hair out, here is what I'm doing: I have written a program in LiveCode that sits on our... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect command when triggered by launchd

Hi folks, Im having trouble with an expect command in a shell script I use to back up mac os x servers. This one is being run on a 10.8.2 Server as part of a larger bash script. The script executes perfectly all the way through when triggered on the command line, but when launchd triggers it at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowie718
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

iptables nat/masquerade - how to act as a basic firewall?

edit: SOLVED - see below for solution Hi there, I've inherited a gob of Linux hosts and so am learning linux from the bottom of the deep end of the pool (gotta say I'm warming up to Linux though - it's not half bad) Right now iptables is confusing me and I could use some pointers as to how... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
0 Replies
xpc(3)							   BSD Library Functions Manual 						    xpc(3)

NAME
xpc -- a structured, asynchronous interprocess communication library SYNOPSIS
#include <xpc/xpc.h> DESCRIPTION
The XPC framework facilitates interprocess communication using structured messages. Messages are structured using property list style objects such as dictionaries, arrays, strings, integers and UUIDs. Out-of-line types such as file descriptors and shared memory regions are also sup- ported. The root object of each message is a dictionary. Messages are sent via connections created using xpc_connection_create(3) and xpc_connection_create_mach_service(3). XPC significantly leverages the on-demand process management features of launchd(8) to provide transparent process life-cycle management. As such, clients of the XPC framework have little to no responsibility for managing their corresponding service processes. Consequently, there is no facility in XPC to directly query the execution status of a service. XPC services are simply made available when they are needed, so clients needn't be concerned with remote process state. Dynamic service registrations (ala bootstrap_register(), bootstrap_create_service() and bootstrap_create_server()) are also purposefully dis- allowed. XPC's integration with launchd(8) also extends to being able to launch jobs on-demand with higher-level events than have been historically available. Using XPC and launchd together, jobs can be launched based on events in IOKit or the posting of BSD Notifications. SEE ALSO
xpc_object(3), xpc_main(3), xpc_connection_create(3), xpc_connection_create_mach_service(3), xpc_dictionary_create(3), xpc_array_create(3), xpc_objects(3), xpc_events(3), xpc_abort(3), xpcproxy(8), notify(3), launchd(8) Darwin 1 July, 2011 Darwin