Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Line number of an occurrence using grep Post 302374097 by popescu1954 on Monday 23rd of November 2009 11:46:26 AM
Old 11-23-2009
Code:
file="..."
pattern="..."
a=`cat -n $file | grep $pattern | awk '{print $1}'`

You have in $a the list of line numbers that match the pattern

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get Filename and Line Number using grep

Hi, I am using the Korne shell to try and get the filename, line number and the line of text using grep e.g. find ./ -type f -name "*.java" -exec grep -nf test.txt '{}' \; (test.txt contains strings to search) will return the line number and the line of text. grep -l would return the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ceemh3
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep the string with the line number

Dear Masters, Here i have some doubts can anyone clarify?. Is it possible to grep the lines by specifying the line numbers. I know the line number which i want to grep. example: grep 40th line filename grep 50th line filename Need ur comments. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salaathi
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a number from a line in ksh

In file.name, I have a line that reads $IDIR/imgen -usemonths -dropcheck -monitor -sizelimit 80000000 -interval 120 -volcal HSI How can I get the size limit, i.e. 80000000 out and pass it to a variable called SIZE? Thanks. I tried echo "grep sizelimit file.name" | sed -n -e... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodluo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep to extract line number

I'm trying to use grep to get the line number only. This is the command I'm using: grep -n "Content-Disposition: attachment" mbox The output I get is: 45:Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="test.txt" So now I just want to get the line number (45) from this output. Can someone... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskarica
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

line number of the i-th occurrence of a pattern

Hi all, is there a simple way to obtain the line number of the i-th occurrence of a pattern? I have OCCURRENCE=`grep -io "${STRING_NAME}" ${1}-${8}${EXT}.out_bis| wc -l` which tells me how many occurency I have. I would like to go through them and determine the line number and assign... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep a number from output line

I`m having a output shown below, CFR 235,BBC DM-2 ALL CFR 111,BBC DM-2 ALL CFR 333,BBC DM-2 ALL from the above Output i want to use 235,111,333 as input for other purpose. these no always change every time i run script.so please suggest me the way i could do it with example,i have tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin_aaa27
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurrence at each line

Hi I have the following file ENST001 ENST002 4 4 4 88 9 9 ENST004 3 3 3 99 8 8 ENST009 ENST010 ENST006 8 8 8 77 8 8 Basically I want to count how many times ENST* is repeated in each line so the expected results is 2 1 3 Any suggestion please ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuad_
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving line number from grep

Hi. im trying to retrieve the line number from grep. i have 1 part of my code here. grep -n $tgt file.txt | cut -f 1 -d ":" when i do not cut the value i have is 12:aaa:abc:aaa:aaa:aaa how can i store the value of 12 or my whole line of string into a variable with grep? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: One_2_three
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep line btn Number

HI Guys, I want grep Below line from a huge file. 01 01 -094.6 -093.3 -095.8 -094.0 01.3/01.3 18.1/18.7 I want to grep line which have data between -60 to -200 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)