Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exporting variables from subshell to parent shell Post 302373937 by King Nothing on Monday 23rd of November 2009 01:39:34 AM
Old 11-23-2009
Exporting variables from subshell to parent shell

Hi,
I was trying to do something where I would be able to export one local variable in a telnet subshell to its parent shell.

I found something like this over here, but couldnt exactly understand it Smilie.
I am referring to this part actually:
Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh
exec 4>&1
tail -5 >&4 |&
exec >&p
cat /etc/passwd
exitcode=$?
exec >&- >&4
wait
echo exitcode = $exitcode
exit 0

Can someone pls provide me with some explanation of the above or provide me with some link where things like exec 4>&1 and all are explained in proper detail?
Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exporting variables (shell scripting)

Hi, i've got an executable shell script, called mysc.sh with this line only: export DATASIZE=0 i run it from my console (./mysc.sh), and after that in the console i run: echo $DATASIZE and nothing prints what could be the problem??? thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfad
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass CSH variables up to the parent?

Hi .. I have a dynamic script called from a programming language called Powerhouse (4GL). The module, called QUIZ, allows the user to call shell commands from within it... i.e. !rm -f mipss156t2cmd1.bat mipss156t2tmp1.txt !printf '#!/bin/csh\n' > mipss156t2cmd1.bat !printf 'setenv... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing environment variables to parent shells

Hi, I am using bash and need to run a set of tcsh scripts that set environment variables. Is there a way to do this? Any help greatly appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: konndanley
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change parent shell's variables?

I have a question about how to change variables in parent shell. My script, test.sh, is below: #!/bin/sh # test.sh PATH=. The commands I ran for test: $ echo $PATH .:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin: $ sh test.sh $ echo $PATH .:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankai
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parent shell is waiting upon the child shell

Hi, I haev to devlop a script which when executed will take in a sudo privelege and run a set of commands then will go back to parent shell and execute the rest of the command But the problem I am facing is that when the script is executed it takes the sudo privelege but it waits for the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruchirmayank
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

full path of a file situated either in parent's dir. or parent's parent dir. so on...

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process from parent shell within a shell script

Hi, I am looking for a solution for the following problem: Im Using tcpdump within a shellskript started in a subshell by using brackets: ( /usr/sbin/tcpdump -i ... -c 1 ) - I want the outout of tcpdump saved in a variable - Than tcpdump-Process in the Subshell should be killed - and I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2retti
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exporting data as a CSV file from Unix shell script

Friends...This is the first time i am trying the report generation using shell script... any suggestions are welcome. Is there a way to set the font size & color when i am exporting the data from unix shell script as a CSV file ? The following sample data is saved as a .csv file in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu2176
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export a variable from a subshell to the parent shell?

A not-too-ugly solution to this classic problem... #!/bin/bash mknod fifo p ( echo 'value' > fifo & ) VARIABLE=`cat fifo` rm fifo Whatdcha think? Good? No good? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vomv1988
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exporting Values of Variables to Another File

Hello, I'm very new to Linux, and I have a question, I'm hoping you could help me with. :) I have created a file called subject, contains this code: #!/bin/bash read -p "Student Name: " NAME read -p "Student ID: " ID read -p "Address: " ADDRESS I'm to create another file called... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwant2learn
7 Replies