Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Problem in dual booting installation of linux on windows Post 302373825 by suneelieg on Sunday 22nd of November 2009 09:52:25 AM
Old 11-22-2009
Problem in dual booting installation of linux on windows

Dear friends,

I am experiencing the trouble while installing the Red Hat Linux 4 on top of windows XP, after booting its asking "What type of media contains the packages to be installed".

Steps I followed:

Step 1: left the free space as unpartitioned, (I also tried with the FAT32 partition).

Step 2: booting the linux cd

After booting its asking for keyboard information then the next is the one I have mentioned above...

My system configuration is

Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz (2CPUs)
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard disk: 250 SATA

I appreciate if any one can provide me with suitable sollutions.

Kindly revert if any further information requires.

Thank and regards
Suneel

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Dual booting Linux and Solaris

Ok, so I'm a bit new to the whole Unix/Linux thing, but I'm no stranger to dual booting... However, the problem that I am having is that I am unable to create a dual boot with Unix (in this case I's using Sun Solaris 9.0 x86) and for linux either RH 9 or Mandrake 9.1, but for the purpose of just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AndroidI6
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

windows -linux dual boot............

I am trying to implement a dual boot on my laptop ... using a small xp partition and fedora core 269.1-fc2 i686 linux kernel.. so far I have had to log off and reboot to enter the other partition... but this is getting frustrating.. windows is on /dev/hda1 and 1-5 is on the linux partition. I have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
8 Replies

3. Linux

Mandrake 8.00 installation/Booting problem...Plz Help

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have a problem with Mandrake 8.00; i have installed it on my old PC with no problems (none mentioned) but on re-booting after the installation it just hangs after listing the devices: Hard Disk, CD-ROM & Floppy A. I have installed it on Packard Bell with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sybella1
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Dual boot (Booting Windows from Linux MBR)

Hi , I have two disk installed with Linux(disk 1) and WinXP(disk 2) .Now i am changing Hardisk jumbper manualy to get in to Linux/Windows .I want to configure my REDHAT linux boot manager to list Linux and WindowXP and wanna boot according to my choice . Here is what my fdisk -l shows (Only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishn
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Windows / Open Solaris dual boot problem.

Okay, let me sketch the problem. I did have a ubuntu / Windows XP dual boot scenario that ran grub as my boot loader. I decided I wanted to try out solaris, so I popped in the opensolaris CD and hit install and told it to format and install over my linux partition. Of course it did that, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Dual booting problem with XP-Pro

Hi Everyone, I was using XP-Home along with Ubuntu (dual booting) in my laptop. At the booting screen the Grub loader used to show me like this- Ubuntu Other operating system Inside 'Other operating system' I used to find 'XP- Home'. Oflate I installed XP-Professional and there I faced the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adc22
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Dual booting problem

Hi all, I have an problem with dual booting. I installed windows7 and i want to install redhat linux on same system. When i insert the cd and boot with the cd it is not showing the hard drive. If i boot with hard disk its booting with windows7. But, if i boot with cdrom it is showing an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run linux in windows 7 without dual boot?

tell me in steps if its virtual box (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahor1989
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Want to dual boot windows/Linux on a ssd/hdd configuration

I have a small ssd (240 GB) and a 1TB hdd. I want to use the ssd to store anything related to Windows (os and other stuff like games) and also the linux bootloader (so linux boots faster). And I want my hdd space to be for linux stuff (like the fedora os, linux packages, etc). Can you help me do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mafiaskafia
1 Replies
LINUX-VERSION(1)					      General Commands Manual						  LINUX-VERSION(1)

NAME
linux-version - operate on Linux kernel version strings SYNOPSIS
linux-version compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 linux-version sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] linux-version list [--paths] DESCRIPTION
linux-version operates on Linux kernel version strings as reported by uname -r and used in file and directory names. These version strings do not follow the same rules as Debian package version strings and should not be compared as such or as arbitrary strings. compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 Compare version strings, where OP is a binary operator. linux-version returns success (zero result) if the specified condition is satisfied, and failure (nonzero result) otherwise. The valid operators are: lt le eq ne ge gt sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] Sort the given version strings and print them in order from lowest to highest. If the --reverse option is used, print them in order from highest to lowest. If no version strings are given as arguments, the version strings will instead be read from standard input, one per line. They may be suffixed by arbitrary text after a space, which will be included in the output. This means that, for example: linux-version list --paths | linux-version sort --reverse will list the installed versions and corresponding paths in order from highest to lowest version. list [--paths] List kernel versions installed in the customary location. If the --paths option, show the corresponding path for each version. AUTHOR
linux-version and this manual page were written by Ben Hutchings as part of the Debian linux-base package. 30 March 2011 LINUX-VERSION(1)