Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Live Knoppix on usb sdb2 kernel not found Post 302373742 by wempy on Saturday 21st of November 2009 05:49:50 PM
Old 11-21-2009
/dev/sdb2 will be (hd0,1) not (hd0,2) - grub partitions start at zero, so change your menu.lst (or edit the line at boot time - press b at the grub menu screen) to be:
Code:
root (hd0,1)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Knoppix Live Networking Issue

So yeah, I have knoppix live and can't seem to set the devices on the network... I configured the IP, and the server sees it, I configured DNS and I can access some websites, and I still can't access the shared folders on the system. Did I miss something here? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Itsaboutme
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From Knoppix Live-USB to Old-school CLI Debian Linux.

Alright. Here we go... The other day, I was referred to this neat little command-line Unix simulator called Cygwin. To put it lightly, I fell in love. I found Knoppix, and from what I can tell, it's a viable OS once I strip off the KDE desktop environment to make it 'old-school'. I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev_squid
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to install fedora 13 from a usb media....it should not like 'live'?

im using Dell Inspiron with windows 7 as operating system.....in my hard drive there is some 34 gb unpartitioned space and now i want to install fedora 13 into it, after installation it should be dual boot. problem here is... i have the fedora 13 image file ie fedora13-i386-DVD.iso file. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik437
13 Replies

4. Linux

Kexec with Live USB/CD

Hello Recently I found this (for me) really usefull tool kexec which can load a new Kernel while running one. I tested it some times with the same kernel I was running, "rebooting" the system without powering it off at any time :D But I need kexec basically just for live usbs. I want to start... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: al0x
17 Replies

5. BSD

Installing FreeBsd. No usb device found

Hello, all. My english is not good. I have a problem installing FreeBsd. I have not CD-Roms, so i use program FlashBoot for convert iso-image to USB Device. After, I was beginning to install FreeBsd (Sorry my english) When it's time to choose an installation media, i select 9 USB:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snet
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kcore and a live persistent linux usb distro

I have 2 computers, from now on i shall call these computers A and B. Made a live linux distro (bodhi) on A which has 1GB internal memory , because windows is unstable on B, which has 512MB internal memory. I mean with memory the internal memory of the computer, not the memory of the usb... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anno
0 Replies

7. BSD

Freebsd live usb

Hello. I'm going to make freebsd live usb based on FreeBSD-8.3-RELEASE-i386-livefs.iso. The iso is 257 Megabytes, but after i copy its content to usb drive its volume increases to 971 Megabytes. I tried different methods of copying (tar,cp,cpio) but with the same result. Could anyone help? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Usbcopy fails with the error message sol-11_1-live-x86.usb is not a multiple of 512

I am trying to create a live image of solaris 11.1. I have used #pkg image-update to upgrade from 11 to 11.1 already. (since only 11.1 can make images of 11.1 due to using new grub) then from within 11.1 I used pkg install install distribution-constructor to get latest usbcopy that should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: taltamir
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VMWare kernel headers not found

This is the error: http://imgur.com/1ywCKac I've tried Googling forever. I've tried this command: sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) It says the package is not found. Nothing works. Please help. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: plsbbg
9 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 11 install via live usb

Hello All, I am attempting to boot and install Solaris 11 via live USB on a HP DL580 Gen9 Server. Unfortunately, when I do this it boots into System Maintenance Mode. The attachment (Pic1) shows what I am seeing via the console. The BIOS is in UEFI boot. Does not work on legacy mode as I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kerbi
15 Replies
update-grub(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    update-grub(8)

NAME
update-grub - program to generate GRUB's menu.lst file SYNOPSIS
update-grub DESCRIPTION
update-grub is a program used to generate the menu.lst file used by the grub bootloader. It works by looking in /boot for all files which start with "vmlinuz-". They will be treated as kernels, and grub menu entries will be created for each. It will also create the initial menu.lst if none exists, after prompting the user. It will also add initrd lines for ramdisk images found with the same version as kernels found. e.g. /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5 and /boot/initrd-2.4.5 will cause a line of "initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.5 or similar to be added for the ker- nel entry in the menu.lst. After update-grub has been run for the first time, the user is required to edit the generated menu.lst. The user must set the two options update-grub uses. Then re-run the update-grub script to update the menu.lst file using the default's that have been set. These are the options passed to the linux kernel: # kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro Everything after "kopt=" is passed to the kernel as parameters. See bootparam(7) for more information. This is the grub device from which grub loads the kernel: # groot=(hd0,1) (hd0,1) is a partition in grub notation. See grub(8) for more information. This option controls if grub should create the alternative boot options in the menu entries # alternative=true # alternative=false This option controls if grub should lock the alternative boot options see grub(8) for more information. # lockalternative=true # lockalternative=false This option controls if grub should lock the old kernels. # lockold=true # lockold=false This options controls what is used for the alternative boot options, multiple altoptions lines are allowed. # altoptions=(some description) some kernel command line options # altoptions=(recovery option) single The description is placed in '()' and the kernel command line options follow that. # updatedefault=true # updatedefault=false This option controls if grub should update the default entry to keep booting the same kernel even if a new one is installed. The update-grub script can be ran automagically from the /etc/kernel-img.conf file by adding the following lines: postinst_hook = update-grub postrm_hook = update-grub do_bootloader = no For further information related to /etc/kernel-img.conf, see the manpage kernel-img.conf(5). SEE ALSO
grub(8), grub-install(8), kernel-img.conf(5) (contained in the kernel-package package), bootparam(7). The full documentation for grub is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub programs are prop- erly installed at your site, the command info grub should give you access to the complete manual. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jason Thomas <jason@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Jason Thomas June 18, 2001 update-grub(8)