Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash script to rename multiple directories Post 302373741 by garethsays on Saturday 21st of November 2009 05:36:17 PM
Old 11-21-2009
Tony

The perl script you wrote does almost exactly as wanted, it's just the rename command that does not work with no error message.

Can't seem to see why, I've opened up permissions etc but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hello - new here - bash script - need to rename and zip files.

I'm working on a project that basically unzips three zip files. When these unzip they create about 70+ directories with subdirectories of year/month with about 3 to 9 pdf files in each directory. Basically, I'm needing to figure out a way to zip these pdf files up. for instance the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aixia
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to rename in mass

Basically, I have a huge amount of files (ripped audiobooks) that all have the same garbage in their filenames. I'm wondering how to go about writing a bash script to mass rename them. Example filenames as they stand now: The First CD - 1x01 - Title 1.mp3 The First CD - 1x02 - Title 2.mp3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to rename all files within a folder...

Hi. I don't have any experience with making scripts in bash. I need a simple script to rename all files in a folder to the format file1.avi, file2.avi, file3.avi, and so on..... Please note that the original files have different filenames and different extensions. But they all need to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dranzer
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to rename files in a directory

Dear friends, I have created a script to rename all files in a directory by appending the file name with username (who created the file), the date it was created. For example, "apple.doc" should be renamed to "johnFeb23apple.doc" where "john" is the owner and "Feb23" is file created date. It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djsnifer
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to rename directories

I am trying to create a script that will search for a directory named bob, and then rename that directory to peter. I do not want the directory path to change. so /folders/bob would become /folders/peter It seems to be renaming the bob folder to peter correctly, but the peter folder ends... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumby456m
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to ping the servers and rename the output file each time the script is ran

HI, I have a file serverlist in that all host names are placed. i have written a small script #./testping #! /bin/bash for i in `cat serverlist` do ping $i >> output.txt done so now it creates a file output.txt till here fine.. now each time i run this script the output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeva
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename multiple files in shell bash, changing elements order.

Hi, I want to rename several files like this: example: A0805120817.BHN A0805120818.BHN ..... to: 20120817.0805.N 20120818.0805.N ...... How can i do this via terminal or in shell bash script ? thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintolcv
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge values from multiple directories into one file in awk or bash

I am trying to merge or combine all $1 values in validation.txt from multiple directories into one new file and output it here tab-delimited:/home/cmccabe/Desktop/20x/total/total.txt. Each $2 value and the header would then be a new field in total.txt. I am not sure how to go about this as cat is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files from multiple directories along with directory indicator

Hi, Friends, i have a requirement where i need to rename my files residing in multiple sub directories and move them to one different directory along with some kind of directory indicator. For eg: test--is my parent directory and it has many files such as a1.txt a2.txt a3.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
5 Replies
RENAME(3)								 1								 RENAME(3)

rename - Renames a file or directory

SYNOPSIS
bool rename (string $oldname, string $newname, [resource $context]) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to rename $oldname to $newname, moving it between directories if necessary. If $newname exists, it will be overwritten. PARAMETERS
o $oldname - Note The old name. The wrapper used in $oldname must match the wrapper used in $newname. o $newname - The new name. o $context - Note Context support was added with PHP 5.0.0. For a description of contexts, refer to "Streams". RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.1 | | | | | | | rename(3) can now rename files across drives in | | | Windows. | | | | | 5.0.0 | | | | | | | rename(3) can now also be used with some URL | | | wrappers. Refer to "Supported Protocols and Wrap- | | | pers" for a listing of which wrappers support | | | rename(3). | | | | | 4.3.3 | | | | | | | rename(3) may now be able to rename files across | | | partitions on *nix based systems, provided the | | | appropriate permissions are held. Warnings may be | | | generated if the destination filesystem doesn't | | | permit chown() or chmod() system calls to be made | | | on files -- for example, if the destination | | | filesystem is a FAT filesystem. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example with rename(3) <?php rename("/tmp/tmp_file.txt", "/home/user/login/docs/my_file.txt"); ?> SEE ALSO
copy(3), unlink(3), move_uploaded_file(3). PHP Documentation Group RENAME(3)