Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Counting commands frequency
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting commands frequency Post 302373729 by Max89 on Saturday 21st of November 2009 03:02:19 PM
Old 11-21-2009
Counting commands frequency

I'd like to create a script that keeps track of the commands used.
For example:

count ls ps

and from now on whenever I use ls or ps a counter is increased.
I want that after the command count has been activated a session starts(here I can use any commands) and I want to stop the session with a special command(quit for example).
In the end I want to print the result.
I'm a beginner in shell scripting and I don't know how to allow the shell continuing his work after my command has started.

Thank you in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to find processor frequency

Hello , Please tell me how to find processor frequency in HP UNIX . (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjunath
8 Replies

2. Solaris

out of frequency

:cool: after installing solaris 10 5/08/09 directory the computer rebooting then the massage "out of frequency" appear.i want a solution first second my main board is GA-MA780G UD3H (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: medo2008
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting value frequency within an array

How is it possible to sort different nummeric values within an Array. But i don`t want the highest or the lowest. I need the most frequently occurring value. For examble: My Array has to following values = (200 404 404 500 404 404 404 200 404) The result should be 404 The values are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2retti
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to calculate frequency distributions?

Hello, I'm trying to get lists of the frequency distributions for each of two variables (vars C and N in the examples). I'd like the distribution for each variable to range from the min of the two variables to the max of the two variables. I can work out the max value beforehand by ordering the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: auburn
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word Frequency Sort

hello, Here is a program for creating a word-frequency # wf.gk --- program to generate word frequencies from a file { # remove punctuation: This will remove all punctuations from the file gsub(/_]/, "", $0) #Start frequency analysis for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++) freq++ } END #Print output... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
11 Replies

6. AIX

Finding Memory Frequency

Hi, I would like to know how to find out frequency of memory, I have used the command prtconf but it is showing amt of ram available on server, it is not showing frequency. Regards, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Same frequency

Hi, Could anyone help me with the following question, if I have two colums (names and frequency) as follows in a file called name.txt Michael 1 Jones 1 Ben 2 Rebeca 4 David 1 and I want to use bash script called freqnames.sh that takes one argument (name) and the output should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jboy
3 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Different OS Kernel Update Frequency

Hi guys I'm trying to configure a collaboration suit (PHP, PostgreSQL, Apache) plus a mail server(Sendmail and Dovecot) on a single box. It will be used heavily 24*7. So having a long up time is really needed. I'm looking for 3 to 6 month up time. I want to know about kernel update... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find frequency

Hi, I have a file with more than 1 million records.. Each row has a distance number.. I want to know how many times is each number occurring from min to max number.. 2 5 120 208 7 28 45 6 33 120 7 208 so onn.. output 0-0 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
4 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)