Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Doubt] How can I store numbers less than 1? Shell variables Post 302373726 by dennis.jacob on Saturday 21st of November 2009 02:33:22 PM
Old 11-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody
Could you give me an example of how to use awk?
You cannot keep a float value in a shell variable. For calculations yeilding float values, you can use tools such as awk / bc. Howver, the float results can be stored only as a string in shell variable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract numbers from a string and store in variables

Hi All, Is it possible in Unix shell script to extract numbers from a string containing ".", such as; 5.2.314 And store in variables so; var1 = 5 var2 = 2 var3 = 314 Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide dave (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt??? [scope of variables]

Heres an example..... <~/abc>$ cat textfile line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 line 5 <~/abc>$ cat try.sh #/bin/ksh for runs in 1 2 3 do A=$runs echo "Inside A : $A" done echo "Outside A : $A" <- works fine (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qzv2jm
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt about variables scope

I call my script with two parameters myscript.sh aaa bbb What is the way to access $1 and $2 values inside a function? I call the function like this myfuntion $1 $1 but inside of the function, $1 and $2 are empty. Any suggestions? thank you in advanced. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aristegui
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store contents of a command in array of variables in shell script?

I want to store contents of command dir in array of variables For eg: dir contents are command d2 demovi~ file inven java new untitled folder d1 demovi er1 filename inven~ myfiles ubuntu desktop xmms ----------------------------------- I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netresearch
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A way to store 2 random numbers from a for loop?

I have a for loop that cycles twice and generates 1 random number for each pass through. I would like to be able to store the two numbers to use later for arithmetics. Is there a way to do that? Right now I can only seem to use the last random number for anything. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxlVanDamme
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Fractional Numbers in Shell Variables

Hello everyone, Before I state my problem I would like to inform you that this is not an assignment. I'm just trying to learn some shell programming in my free time. I'm trying to write a parking fee calculator. But I don't seem to be able to use fractional numbers. Could you please advice... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwant2learn
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store results of multiple sql queries in shell variables in ksh?

Hi, I have a script where I make a sqlplus connection. In the script I have multiple sql queries within that sqlplus connection. I want the result of the queries to be stored in shell variables declared earlier. I dont want to use procedures. Is there anyway else. Thanks in advance.. Cheers (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gonchusirsa
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a file and store in variables

I have a input file like this. Sample.txt 30 | TXDatacenter | TXBackupDC 10 | UKDatacenter | UKBackupDC 0 | NLDatacenter | NLBackupDC ...... ...... ...... I need to get these values in different variables like this. Load1=30 PriCenter1=TXDatacenter... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Visha
5 Replies

9. Linux

How to store count of multiple queries in variables in a shell script?

how to store the count of queries in variables inside a filein shell script my output : filename ------- variable1=result from 1st query variable2=result from 2nd query . . . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanvel
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed: UNIX shell variables to store Oracle table records

Hello Folks, I'm working on a requirement to automate the process of generating report(csv file) using metadata info stored in an Oracle table and E-mail it to respective people. Meta data table: Report_ID,Report_SUB_ID,Report_DB,Report_SQL,Report_to_email_Id 1,1,DEV,'select * From... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat_reddy
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)