Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find and copy files from one directory to another Post 302373717 by ziggy25 on Saturday 21st of November 2009 02:19:10 PM
Old 11-21-2009
How to find and copy files from one directory to another

Ok i have three directories

Destination - /u/dir1 (has subdirectories dir2 which also has subdirectory dir3)

Source1 - /u/test/files/dir1/dir2/dir3
Source2 - /u/out/images/dir1/dir2/dir3

What i would like to do is copy everything from Source1 and Source2 into the Destination directory. The only thing is the directories on Source1 and Source2 differ slightly with the Destination directory. I only want to copy "dir1" recursively from source1 and source2 to "dir1" in the destination directory.

i tried something like this but i am failing miserably

Code:
cd /u
find ./test/files/dir1 ./out/images/dir1 -print | cp dir1

I think the problem is whenever i use find or ls, the directories i dont want to include (test/files and out/images) are also included which is making it difficult to copy it to the exact equivalent location on the destination diretory.

by the way the os i am using is "SunOS 5.9 Generic_122300-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1500"

Any ideas?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files and copy into a directory

hi all, can u please help me in finding all ksh file in directory and including all subdirectories and then copy those files into another directory. thanks in advance -bali (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and copy the files creted in the year 2006 to another directory

Hi All, I am new to UNIX. I will be thankful if some one helps me. I have to write a shell script for one of the requirement. I have files created from Jan 2006 to March 2008. My requirement is to write a script in such a way that 1) To find and copy(not Moving) the files created in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find & Copy Selected files to another Directory

I am wanting to find files within a directory that are over a certain number of days old and copy them to another directory. And unfortunately not having much luck.......is someone able to help. Would also like to add that there are literally thousands of files that I am wanting to copy in one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellfyre
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find list of files from a list and copy to a directory

I will be very grateful if someone can help me with bash shell script that does the following: I have a list of filenames: A01_155716 A05_155780 A07_155812 A09_155844 A11_155876 that are kept in different sub directories within my current directory. I want to find these files and copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and copy file to another directory..

Hi Everybody, i want a samll help to write a script. i had source location with :/user/bin (bin contains subdirectories with like names emails etc and had several files in each subdirectory) and target location with :/usr/scripts (having same subdirectories names and had some files)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files into another directory

I have a folder will a lot of documents (pdf, xls, doc etc.) which users have uploaded but only 20% of them are currently linking from my html files. So my goal is to copy only the files which are linked in my html files from my Document directory into another directory. Eg: My documents exist... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitha
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable to copy files due to many files in directory

I have directory that has some billion file inside , i tried copy some files for specific date but it's always did not respond for long time and did not give any result.. i tried everything with find command and also with xargs.. even this command find . -mtime -2 -print | xargs ls -d did not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and copy these files to particular directory

RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.4 I have some files with the extension .cdp in several directories in various mountpoints(filesystems) . I would like to find and copy all these files into a single directory /u03/diagnore/data. How can I do this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the files in directory and sub folders as it is to another directory.

How to copy files from one directory to another directory with the subfolders copied. If i have folder1/sub1/sub2/* it needs to copy files to folder2/sub1/sub2/*. I do not want to create sub folders in folder2. Can copy command create them automatically? I tried cp -a and cp -R but did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find most recent file and copy to another directory.

Very new to shell scripting. Not sure if my title is correct but I will try and explain. Directory has 100+ files with this format, " ABCD_ABC_Abc_AB0126.abc ". When a new file gets created, the 16-19 characters in the file name gets incremented by 1. Ex...todays most recent file is... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: askvip
14 Replies
AFS-UP(1)						       AFS Command Reference							 AFS-UP(1)

NAME
up - Recursively copy directories, preserving AFS metadata SYNOPSIS
up [-v] [-1] [-f] [-r] [-x] [-m] <source directory> <destination directory> DESCRIPTION
The up command recursively copies the files and subdirectories in a specified source directory to a specified destination directory. The command interpreter changes the destination directory and the files and subdirectories in it in the following ways: o It copies the source directory's access control list (ACL) to the destination directory and its subdirectories, overwriting any existing ACLs. o If the issuer is logged on as the local superuser root and has AFS tokens as a member of the group system:administrators, then the source directory's owner (as reported by the "ls -ld" command) becomes the owner of the destination directory and all files and subdirectories in it. Otherwise, the issuer's user name is recorded as the owner. o If a file or directory exists in both the source and destination directories, the source version overwrites the destination version. The overwrite operation fails if the first (user) "w" (write) mode bit is turned off on the version in the destination directory, unless the -f flag is provided. o The modification timestamp on a file (as displayed by the "ls -l" command) in the source directory overwrites the timestamp on a file of the same name in the destination directory, but the timestamp on an existing subdirectory in the destination directory remains unchanged. If the command creates a new subdirectory in the destination directory, the new subdirectory's timestamp is set to the time of the copy operation, rather than to the timestamp that the subdirectory has in the source directory. The up command is idempotent, meaning that if its execution is interrupted by a network, server machine, or process outage, then a subsequent reissue of the same command continues from the interruption point, rather than starting over at the beginning. This saves time and reduces network traffic in comparison to the UNIX commands that provide similar functionality. The up command returns a status code of 0 (zero) only if it succeeds. Otherwise, it returns a status code of 1 (one). This command does not use the syntax conventions of the AFS command suites. Provide the command name and all option names in full. OPTIONS
-v Prints a detailed trace to the standard output stream as the command runs. -1 Copies only the files in the top level source directory to the destination directory, rather than copying recursively through subdirectories. The source directory's ACL still overwrites the destination directory's. (This is the number one, not the letter "l".) -f Overwrites existing directories, subdirectories, and files even if the first (user) "w" (write) mode bit is turned off on the version in the destination directory. -m Recognize and copy mount points rather than traversing the volumes they reference during the recursive copy operation. Without -m, up's default behavior is to copy the contents of all volumes and subvolumes mounted under the source directory into the volume containing the destination directory. -r Creates a backup copy of all files overwritten in the destination directory and its subdirectories, by adding a ".old" extension to each filename. -x Sets the modification timestamp on each file to the time of the copying operation. source directory Names the directory to copy recursively. destination directory Names the directory to which to copy. It does not have to exist already. EXAMPLES
The following command copies the contents of the directory dir1 to directory dir2: % up dir1 dir2 PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have the "a" (administer) permission on the ACL of both the source and destination directories. COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 AFS-UP(1)