Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using GZIP command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using GZIP command Post 302373596 by thegeek on Saturday 21st of November 2009 02:17:40 AM
Old 11-21-2009
man gzip

Code:
gzip -c file1 file2 > foo.gz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using gzip

Hi, I am trying to unzip a file that I unmounted onto a unix machine from a cd I had burned in a Windows machine. The file I am trying to unzip is a .tar file... it was originally a .tar.gz file because it was zipped using gzip. I have tried: % gzip -d hpux.tar (where hpux.tar is the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nattie_h
2 Replies

2. SCO

gzip

ciao a tutti, premesso che sono un principiante di unix, avrei bisogno di gzip/gunzip e SOPRATTUTTO delle istruzioni (ahimè dettagliatissime, come per un bimbo!) per installarlo... grazie mille, ciao (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfran2002
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Amoung tar and gzip whiich unix command is more practical with respect to space manag

Hi All Can any body help me out. Amoung tar and gzip whiich unix command is more practical with respect to space management and file restoration. Eg if I use tar or gzip which will be more helpful to reduce the space and during the file restoration. Please help me out. regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip

Hi, I want to gzip files in loop. for i in `ls *.xml`; do gzip $i; done But i am gettin error like "/usr/bin/ls: Arg list too long" Also please tell me how to do it with while loop and also using find and then exec. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with GZIP

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement to zip a file using gzip and ftp it to target server. I am using a gzip script as below. gzip.sh #!/bin/ksh /usr/bin/gzip -9 $1 Filename for gzip.sh is passed by an application program. so the output for ./gzip.sh Test_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.txt (file name is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PRVARMA
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find + tar + gzip + uunecode/email --> in one command?

How to search for all files with matching strings --> find + tar + gzip + uunecode/email them in one command? I am sure there is a right way to pass list of files to tar, then compress tar file. Then send that as attachment using uuencode in one command.. Can we do that!? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip

how to zip all log file in a folder expect the latest gzip * ---> will zip all log files but I don't want the latest file to be zipped ex: file1, file2, file3, file4, file5 any single command to gzip all files excpet file5 ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmann
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude files in gzip command

hi, I would like to exlcude certain files which starts with AUS from a directory while gzip the files but i need it in gzip command only direct: AUS1.tx AUS2.txt NZ1.txt i want to gzip only NZ1.txt to NZ1.gz files starting with AUS should not be gzipped and i need it in gzip... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
23 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the output of a gzip command intact

how can i get the printf command or the echo command to print the data that are inbetween the first and the last quotes? #!/bin/sh printf '%s\n' "^_<8b>^H^@U<8c>MX^@^Cí=ÙzÚH<97>×ð^Teìn<8c>Ób_<9d><9f>dXd<9b>^N^F7<82>8qâÎ'^K^Y^T<83>D<90>°M^Lý^Hó^Fs5w3ß|s5/ÐýbS%©<84>^DBH... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported com- pression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncom- pressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp or diff is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZDIFF(1)