Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl or Tcl/tk : Which one is better ? Post 302373579 by durden_tyler on Friday 20th of November 2009 10:08:51 PM
Old 11-20-2009
Depends on the job you are trying to do. Each language has it's good and bad points, niceties and quirks. You will have to evaluate your requirement and use the right tool for the right job.
For example, you may learn to drive the best car in the world, but if your requirement is to transport some stuff to an island across the ocean, then that car is useless.

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

TK/TCL Help

can someone tell my why the puts is not reflecting the variable? CUT --> set fp while {-1 != } { button .a${line} -text "${line} " -width 20 -command { puts $line } pack .a${line} } (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxrox
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL/Perl scipting for PF

Hi All, I have a PF Firewall running on Freebsd v6.x Now I would like to change and review the config in my rc.conf file via a browser . So my approach here would be: - make a script , which changes for instance the default route - have this script built-in a Webpage and have a form... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx_united_1980
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL, how to

Does any one know how to capture the output of command called from a TCL script? I cannot figure this out. I've been working on it for 4 hours now :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lorna
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help - tcl

Hello, Can someone explaine me the meaning of this program: #! /usr/bin/tclsh set mctal set a set b set c set d set e while {! line cell]} { } while {! line]} { } while {! line cell]} { } while {! line]} { } (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Perl script in TCL script

Hi, experts, I wonder if anyone can help me up with this. Has been googling and reading several books but still come to no idea how this can be done. Well, it's like this. I have a bundle of codes developed in Perl. I need to do something like this: 1. perl script run using spawn 2. in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dniz
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please help me in tcl/tk

i am new one to tcl/tk OTP-ARB:/home/ponmuthu/tcl=>/usr/bin/tclsh tclsh tclsh8.4 OTP-ARB:/home/ponmuthu/tcl=>/usr/bin/tclsh % wish Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable when i give like that i am getting error Application... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing perl with arguments in tcl

I have a question on perl/Tcl script execution .... right now i have both perl and Tcl script working individually standalone but i want to integrate the perl script in a Tcl script .... and the perl has the arguments to be passed along with command line execution and this argument is actually... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukrish
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in tcl...

how can i make a list with the n last files and their details in tcl?.. thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eee
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL script in PERL

Hi all, I am trying to run a tcl script in a perl script. Now my problem is when I run the tcl script from the perl script it runs very slowly but when I run the tcl script individually it is running at expected speed. What could be the problem?? Help please!!!! Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirock
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect/tcl (not perl) logging troubles

My logs aren't correct. Im trying to log failure and successes, then use the resulting successes file "seed" to perform another function. Problem is that the log has only a single random entry. Thanks in advance for the help ! !#/usr/bin/expect set count 0 set bcount 0 set fcnb 923... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
0 Replies
proto(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  proto(4)

NAME
proto - prototype job file for at SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
When a job is submitted to or the job is constructed as a POSIX shell script (see at(1)). The job file is created in as follows: o creates a header describing the job as an job or a job. jobs submitted to all queues other than queue are listed as jobs. The header is: for an job, or for a job. o A set of POSIX shell commands is added to make the environment (see environ(5)) for the job the same as the current environment. o then copies text from the prototype file to the job file, except for special variables that are replaced by other text: Replaced by the current working directory. Replaced by the current file size limit (see ulimit(2)). Replaced by the current umask (see umask(2)). Replaced by the time at which the job should be run, expressed as seconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00 Coordinated Universal Time, preceded by a colon. Replaced by text read by from the standard input (that is, the commands provided to to be run in the job). o When a job is submitted to queue queue, uses the file as the prototype file if it exists. Otherwise, it uses the file EXAMPLES
The following file creates commands to change the current directory, file size limit, and umask in the job to their respective values as they existed when was originally run. These commands are inserted before the commands in the job: SEE ALSO
at(1), queuedefs(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
proto(4)