Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl or Tcl/tk : Which one is better ? Post 302373579 by durden_tyler on Friday 20th of November 2009 10:08:51 PM
Old 11-20-2009
Depends on the job you are trying to do. Each language has it's good and bad points, niceties and quirks. You will have to evaluate your requirement and use the right tool for the right job.
For example, you may learn to drive the best car in the world, but if your requirement is to transport some stuff to an island across the ocean, then that car is useless.

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

TK/TCL Help

can someone tell my why the puts is not reflecting the variable? CUT --> set fp while {-1 != } { button .a${line} -text "${line} " -width 20 -command { puts $line } pack .a${line} } (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxrox
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL/Perl scipting for PF

Hi All, I have a PF Firewall running on Freebsd v6.x Now I would like to change and review the config in my rc.conf file via a browser . So my approach here would be: - make a script , which changes for instance the default route - have this script built-in a Webpage and have a form... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx_united_1980
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL, how to

Does any one know how to capture the output of command called from a TCL script? I cannot figure this out. I've been working on it for 4 hours now :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lorna
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help - tcl

Hello, Can someone explaine me the meaning of this program: #! /usr/bin/tclsh set mctal set a set b set c set d set e while {! line cell]} { } while {! line]} { } while {! line cell]} { } while {! line]} { } (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Perl script in TCL script

Hi, experts, I wonder if anyone can help me up with this. Has been googling and reading several books but still come to no idea how this can be done. Well, it's like this. I have a bundle of codes developed in Perl. I need to do something like this: 1. perl script run using spawn 2. in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dniz
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please help me in tcl/tk

i am new one to tcl/tk OTP-ARB:/home/ponmuthu/tcl=>/usr/bin/tclsh tclsh tclsh8.4 OTP-ARB:/home/ponmuthu/tcl=>/usr/bin/tclsh % wish Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable when i give like that i am getting error Application... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing perl with arguments in tcl

I have a question on perl/Tcl script execution .... right now i have both perl and Tcl script working individually standalone but i want to integrate the perl script in a Tcl script .... and the perl has the arguments to be passed along with command line execution and this argument is actually... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukrish
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in tcl...

how can i make a list with the n last files and their details in tcl?.. thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eee
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL script in PERL

Hi all, I am trying to run a tcl script in a perl script. Now my problem is when I run the tcl script from the perl script it runs very slowly but when I run the tcl script individually it is running at expected speed. What could be the problem?? Help please!!!! Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirock
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect/tcl (not perl) logging troubles

My logs aren't correct. Im trying to log failure and successes, then use the resulting successes file "seed" to perform another function. Problem is that the log has only a single random entry. Thanks in advance for the help ! !#/usr/bin/expect set count 0 set bcount 0 set fcnb 923... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
0 Replies
tkvars(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 tkvars(3)

NAME
tkvars - Variables used or set by Tk DESCRIPTION
The following perl variables are either set or used by Tk at various times in its execution. (For a list of variables used by perl see perlvar.) $Tk::library This variable holds the file name for a directory containing the modules related to Tk. These modules include an initialization file that is normally processed whenever a Tk application starts up, plus other files containing procedures that implement default behaviors for widgets. The initial value of $Tk::library is set when Tk is added to an interpreter; this is done by searching searching for a directory named Tk in the directory where the file Tk.pm, or the first directory Tk in @INC. The TK_LIBRARY environment variable used by Tcl/Tk is not supported by perl/Tk. Please use @INC to change where modules are searched. Note: This is Tcl remnant. With perl it makes more sense to use @INC and %INC). $Tk::patchLevel Contains a decimal integer giving the current patch level for Tk. The patch level is incremented for each new release or patch, and it uniquely identifies an official version of Tk. Note: this is Tcl remnant. With perl it makes more sense to use $Tk::VERSION described below. $Tk::strictMotif This variable is set to zero by default. If an application sets it to one, then Tk attempts to adhere as closely as possible to Motif look-and-feel standards. For example, active elements such as buttons and scrollbar sliders will not change color when the pointer passes over them. $Tk::VERSION The variable holds the current version number of the perl/Tk release in the form major.minor. Major and minor are integers. The major version number shows on which Tcl/Tk release perl/Tk is based. E.g., 402 means based on Tcls Tk 4.2. (Patchlevel of Tcls Tk are not incorporated because perl/Tk tended to be ``ahead'' of them on some fixes and behind on others. The first digest of the major version number increases in any Tk release that includes changes that are not backward compatible (i.e. whenever existing perl/Tk applications and scripts may have to change to work with the new release). The minor version depends on perl/Tk only. It uses the 'even'='stable', 'odd'='experimental' scheme that linux uses: .0xx - inherently 'alpha' .1xx - experimental 'beta' .2xx - stable .3xx - experimental .4xx - stable ... The minor version number increases with each new release of Tk, except that it resets to zero whenever the major version number changes. $Tk::version The variable holds the current version number of the Tk library in the form major.minor. Major and minor are integers. The major version number increases in any Tk release that includes changes that are not backward compatible (i.e. whenever existing Tk applications and scripts may have to change to work with the new release). The minor version number increases with each new release of Tk, except that it resets to zero whenever the major version number changes. Note: this is Tcl remnant. With perl it makes more sense to use $Tk::VERSION described above. KEYWORDS
variables, version perl v5.12.1 2007-05-05 tkvars(3)