Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting lines that contain spaces in a txt file Post 302373553 by r04dw4rri0r on Friday 20th of November 2009 04:58:52 PM
Old 11-20-2009
Deleting lines that contain spaces in a txt file

I need some help deleting lines in a file that contain spaces. Im sure awk or sed will work but i dont know much about those commands. Any help is appreciated Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting end line spaces for along file

How can i clear all space characteres for a long file at the end of each line? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh script for deleting extra spaces in text file

I am new to scripting and I needed to know if there would be an easy way to delete extra spaces in a text file. I have a file with three rows with 22 numbers each, but there is extra spaces between the numbers when it gets output by this program AFNI that I am using. What script would help delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces in a file

Hello Guys, I am a newbie to unix. I am having a requirement. Please help me for finding a solution for this, I am having a file as mentioned below: $ cat shank ackca acackac akcajc akcjkcja akcj ckcklc I want to delete all the white spaces in this file, I tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mraghunandanan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines starting with spaces then non-numerals

I did a search but couldn't find a thread that seemed to answer this but my apologies if it has been answered before. I have some text files and I need to remove any line that does not start with a number (0-9). In actuality every line like this starts with a 'T' (or 't') but there are a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skray
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines in .txt with nonspecific value

Hello, i am new to the forum and know nothing about programing, Linux or Unix :( hope somebody can help me out. I have a .txt file that i need to delete certain lines from. After searching the forum i noticed that using "sed" was the way to go, so i installed gnuwin32 (i use windows xp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luis3141
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to cp lines x->y from 1.txt into lines a->b in file2.txt

I have one base file, and multiple target files-- each have uniform line structure so no need to use grep to find things-- can just define sections by line number. My question is quite simple-- can I use sed to copy a defined block of lines (say lines 5-10) from filename1.txt to overwrite an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czar21
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two .txt files by alternating x lines from file 1 and y lines from file2

Hi everyone, I have two files (A and B) and want to combine them to one by always taking 10 rows from file A and subsequently 6 lines from file B. This process shall be repeated 40 times (file A = 400 lines; file B = 240 lines). Does anybody have an idea how to do that using perl, awk or sed?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ink_LE
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reform Lines in File without blank lines and spaces

Hello All, I have a file with data as below. Each line consists of 21 fields. I am not able to load them back to the database. 50733339,"834","834 ","005010X279A1","N","Y","007977163","0001 ",30,"2110D ","EB ","EB007 ","2 ","Conditional Required Data Element Miss ing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveenkulkarni
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Repeating lines from a txt file via script

Hi, I'm having trouble in achieving the following scenario. There is a txt file with thousands of lines and few lines are repeated, which needs to be removed using a script. File.txt 20140522121432,0,12,ram Loc=India From=ram@xxx.com, To=ravi@yyy.com,, 1 2 3 4 . . 30... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gautham
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Commands needed for replacing variable number of spaces with a single , in a txt file

Hi I want to read a text file and replace various number of spaces between each string in to a single "," or any other character .Please let me know the command to do so. My input file is a txt file which is the output of a SQL table extract so it contains so many spaces between each column of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari Prasanth
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for lines containing a given pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [-elnsv] pattern [file] ... OPTIONS
-e -e pattern is the same as pattern -c Print a count of lines matched -i Ignore case -l Print file names, no lines -n Print line numbers -s Status only, no printed output -v Select lines that do not match EXAMPLES
grep mouse file # Find lines in file containing mouse grep [0-9] file # Print lines containing a digit DESCRIPTION
Grep searches one or more files (by default, stdin) and selects out all the lines that match the pattern. All the regular expressions accepted by ed and mined are allowed. In addition, + can be used instead of * to mean 1 or more occurrences, ? can be used to mean 0 or 1 occurrences, and | can be used between two regular expressions to mean either one of them. Parentheses can be used for grouping. If a match is found, exit status 0 is returned. If no match is found, exit status 1 is returned. If an error is detected, exit status 2 is returned. SEE ALSO
cgrep(1), fgrep(1), sed(1), awk(9). GREP(1)