Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Last 24 hours of /var/mail/root/ Post 302373407 by Giordano Bruno on Friday 20th of November 2009 07:18:18 AM
Old 11-20-2009
Last 24 hours of /var/mail/root/

Hi there,

I'm using this command line to get a daily mail through crontab with the content of /var/mail/root:

mailx -s "Test My Server" mymail@mail.com </var/mail/root

and it works fine, but I'd like to get only the information updated in the last 24 hours.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

GB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix IMAP e-mail via Outlook showing +10 hours

Multiple users at my work are connecting to a UNIX IMAP e- mail server via Outlook 2003 that is creating a small problem. Random new e-mails repeat themselves up to 3 times with an additional 10 hours added to them of when the original arrived. i.e Original e-mail marked arrived at 10:00am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arkady
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

READING mail from /var/mail/user

Hello guys, I'm in desperate need. I need to write a script that behaves like a "mail" shell program. I've a base of the program -menu and so on, but what I cannot do is how to read messages from /var/mail/user. I would like to separate them as "mail" program does, but I;m just a newbie and... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: petoSVK
21 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I zero var/spool/mail/mail

The mail file in the directory var/spool/mail is very large. Can I zero this (>) without losing any unopened mails there may be? There are about 10 mail accounts. Using RedHat Linux. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisheazle
0 Replies

4. Solaris

how to forward mail in /var/mail/username to external mail

Dear All, Now I use solaris 10 and I try to forward mail from /var/mail/username to their external mail so what should I do? thank u in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I read mail in /var/spool/mail?

How can I read mail sent to /var/spool/mail? I do not have pine installed so forget about that...is there some generic utility I can use? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/spool/mail

Hi, How can i get my mail on either /var/spool/mail or /var/mail? I use mail and sendmail command to send mail. But everytime I send mail it comes to my outlook inbox and when I check with mail command I get the message "No mail for siba". (Note siba is my user Id.) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parse /var/mail

Hi all... We have a box that receives a lot of incoming emails. I have a .procmailrc file that in turn invokes a python script, which process each of these incoming email. All is nice and good. However, before the .procmailrc and python script were in place, we still were receiving emails and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khader69
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

importance of /var/mail

Hi When an entry will be made to the file /var/mail/<user-id> . I have 100 scripts under a specific user id(dgircc) in cron .SO inrder to check the whether the script has sucessfully run or not and if not to generate an email if i mention the code like #!/bin/ksh -p 2 fsize=`ls -lrt... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskalyani
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Mail Script Takes Hours to Send emails

guys, i have a php script that i wrote that takes hours to send emails to recipients. i can't post the content of this script in here because the script contains some very important confidential information. so my question is, why is it that when the php script runs, it runs successfully, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[SOLVED] Root mail going to user "mail" instead of root

I running Linux Mint Debian Edition tracking testing and have started a cron job that will send something to the root mailbox. Mint has heirloom and exim4 installed. However, mail was getting nothing. I realized that in /etc/aliases, there was a line root: mintSince you can't log into the mint... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies
XDG-EMAIL(1)															      XDG-EMAIL(1)

NAME
xdg-email - command line tool for sending mail using the user's preferred e-mail composer SYNOPSIS
xdg-email [--utf8] [--cc address] [--bcc address] [--subject text] [--body text] [--attach file] [mailto-uri address(es)] xdg-email {--help --manual --version} DESCRIPTION
xdg-email opens the user's preferred e-mail composer in order to send a mail to address(es) or mailto-uri. RFC2368 defines mailto: URIs. xdg-email limits support to, cc, subject and body fields in mailto-uri, all other fields are silently ignored. address(es) must follow the syntax of RFC822. Multiple addresses may be provided as separate arguments. All information provided on the command line is used to prefill corresponding fields in the user's e-mail composer. The user will have the opportunity to change any of this information before actually sending the e-mail. xdg-email is for use inside a desktop session only. It is not recommended to use xdg-email as root. See http://portland.freedesktop.org/EmailConfig for information on how the user can change the e-mail composer that is used. OPTIONS
--utf8 Indicates that all command line options that follow are in utf8. Without this option, command line options are expected to be encoded according to locale. If the locale already specifies utf8 this option has no effect. This option does not affect mailto URIs that are passed on the command line. --cc address Specify a recipient to be copied on the e-mail. --bcc address Specify a recipient to be blindly copied on the e-mail. --subject text Specify a subject for the e-mail. --body text Specify a body for the e-mail. Since the user will be able to make changes before actually sending the e-mail, this can be used to provide the user with a template for the e-mail. text may contain linebreaks. --attach file Specify an attachment for the e-mail. file must point to an existing file. Some e-mail applications require the file to remain present after xdg-email returns. --help Show command synopsis. --manual Show this manualpage. --version Show the xdg-utils version information. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
xdg-email honours the following environment variables: XDG_UTILS_DEBUG_LEVEL Setting this environment variable to a non-zero numerical value makes xdg-email do more verbose reporting on stderr. Setting a higher value increases the verbosity. EXIT CODES
An exit code of 0 indicates success while a non-zero exit code indicates failure. The following failure codes can be returned: 1 Error in command line syntax. 2 One of the files passed on the command line did not exist. 3 A required tool could not be found. 4 The action failed. 5 No permission to read one of the files passed on the command line. CONFIGURATION
Visit http://portland.freedesktop.org/EmailConfig for information how to configure xdg-email to use the email client of your choice. EXAMPLES
xdg-email 'Jeremy White <jwhite@example.com>' xdg-email --attach /tmp/logo.png --subject 'Logo contest' --body 'Attached you find the logo for the contest.' 'jwhite@example.com' xdg-email --subject 'Your password is about to expire' 'jwhite@example.com' 'bastian@example.com' 'whipple@example.com' AUTHOR
Kevin Krammer, Jeremy White. <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> <jwhite@codeweavers.com> xdg-utils 1.0 06/24/2007 XDG-EMAIL(1)