Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Beginner Scripting Issue
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Beginner Scripting Issue Post 302373195 by Jjohn1987 on Thursday 19th of November 2009 05:23:49 PM
Old 11-19-2009
Thanks for the reply scottn,

I think I understand what you said so I changed my coding to the following:

#! /bin/csh
echo "Please select a number to be guessed"
set num1 = $<
1:
echo "Please guess a number"
set num2 = $<
if ( $num2 == $num1 ) then

echo "Congratulations!! You have guessed correctly!"
else
echo "Sorry, but that number is incorrect."
goto 1
endif

---After executing it lets me enter the first two numbers and then it returns the error "Event not found"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner bash scripting - a few problems

Hey Guys, I am creating a bash script on my freeBSD box, the script should basically ask the user to enter a username and domain. The script will take this information and basically append alot of information to config files so the user can receive email from that domain and create a web site at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: traxy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for scripting beginner

hy guys, I have perl script provided to me but i need to convert it into shell .Can you help me in this using sed shell command. cat /etc/passwd |perl -ne '/^(\w+):\w+: (\w+)/ and print "$1, $2\n";' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: singh_king
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] Beginner at scripting

Hi, I'm a beginner at shell scripting, just started scripting in bash a few days ago. I want to test if the command ls *.jpg returns exit code 2, and if yes I want to execute a new command ls *.jpeg, doing a test on it... and pretty much repeat the procedure. Is this correct? #!/bin/bash... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Utherr
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

scripting beginner

hi i have been given the task of sorting some scripting issues , i first of all need to decifer the ones that are being used is there anybody can do this for me :rolleyes: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aguiness
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginner scripting questions User variables

If there's anywhere to look this up, it would be just as helpful. I googled and really couldn't find anything relative to this. ok... General Variables 1) When creating a script I made a file "prog1.sh" does it matter if the end is .sh or is this what has to be done like prog.bash or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Scripting for school

Hello people, I am new to the forum and to scripting and I'm honored to be a part of the Forum :) At the moment I'm learning to do basic scripting for school. Now I got 2 assignments that I do not understand. The case scripting I have mastered a bit. But now I have an assingment to make with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hulsi88
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner - scripting help!

hi all, i am very new to linux and am trying to create a basic script. I would like the script to copy files from one directory into another, (e.g Script ~/my-documents/fileone ~/my-documents/filetwo) Once all files have been copied, i'd like another script to run automatically and rename... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: highland
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Bash Scripting Question

Hello, I am new to Linux and studying to become a Unix System Admin. I am taking a course in which I was practicing creating a bash script to ping a particular IP address. The script can be found below: #/bin/bash echo "Enter the IP address" read ip if then ping -c 1 $ip if ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shah9250
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Beginner at bash scripting - need help with passing arguments

I at the moment, making a simple bash script, capable of setting up an workspace for me, so i don't have to do it manually.. Problem is though i can't seem to provide the bash script any argument, without running into my error checks, checking for input... Here is the code: #!/bin/bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
7 Replies
mktemp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						mktemp(3C)

NAME
mktemp - make a unique file name from a template SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *mktemp(char *template); DESCRIPTION
The mktemp() function replaces the contents of the string pointed to by template with a unique file name, and returns template. The string in template should look like a file name with six trailing 'X's; mktemp() will replace the 'X's with a character string that can be used to create a unique file name. Only 26 unique file names per thread can be created for each unique template. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp() function returns the pointer template. If a unique name cannot be created, template points to a null string. ERRORS
No errors are defined. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Generate a filename. The following example replaces the contents of the "template" string with a 10-character filename beginning with the characters "file" and returns a pointer to the "template" string that contains the new filename. #include <stdlib.h> ... char *template = "/tmp/fileXXXXXX"; char *ptr; ptr = mktemp(template); USAGE
Between the time a pathname is created and the file opened, it is possible for some other process to create a file with the same name. The mkstemp(3C) function avoids this problem and is preferred over this function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3C), tmpfile(3C), tmpnam(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Sep 2004 mktemp(3C)