Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question about wait
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about wait Post 302373017 by aigles on Thursday 19th of November 2009 08:26:04 AM
Old 11-19-2009
Quote:
sleep Command

Purpose

Suspends execution for an interval.

Syntax

sleep Seconds

Description

The sleep command suspends execution of a process for at least the interval
specified by the Seconds parameter. The amount of time specified in the Seconds
parameter can range from 1 to MAXINT (2,147,483,647) seconds.
Code:
sleep 1800

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Question on High I/O Wait

Hi Group, We have 4 p590 with AIX 5.2 and ML06. The servers are connected to the external SAN (hitachi drives). When running the vmstat or topas command, I see that there is a high I/O wait. It sometimes crosses 90% and the average is over 55%. The server is expeiencing high performance... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brookingsd
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute 2 scripts, wait, execute 2 more wait, till end of file

:cool: I need to execute a shell script to do the following: cat a file run two back ground processes using the first two values from the file wait till those background processes finish run two more background processes using the next two values from the file wait till those background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: halo98
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About wait

Hi everyone I'm novice at Unix programming and I hope to post this thread in the correct place. I have the following doubts: 1 Suppose we have some processes which are B's children process and another process A which has no relation with B and its children. Can A do wait () for a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait ${!}

In one of the shell script (Where abinitio graph is called), the last line is wait ${!}. What does this wait ${!} mean ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

WAIT

Can someone explain what is the status says WAIT on performance monitoring command.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_krish
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait example

Hi Gurus, Some questions regarding wait. I have tried searching in this forum for threads on wait but not completely got what I am looking for. Background: One script (.sh) that starts/calls a reference to an application's executable and submits a batch job to it. Objective is to wait... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
2 Replies

8. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies

10. Programming

Linux fork, execv, wait question

Hi All, I have a program for class that needs to do the following: 1. Print the directory entries from the current directory using ncurses 2. Provide a prompt next to each directory entry and allow the user to enter commands that may or may not be about the file 3. Execute those commands in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: afulldevnull
1 Replies
sleep(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sleep(1)

NAME
sleep - Suspends execution for at least the specified time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: sleep: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
Non-negative integer specifying the number of seconds for which execution is to be suspended. DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution of a process for at least the interval specified by seconds, which can range from 0 to 2,147,483,647 seconds. Depending on system activity, the actual time of suspension may be longer. See the sleep(3) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] seconds can be entered as a non-negative decimal, octal, or hexadecimal value. NOTES
If sleep receives a SIGALARM signal before process execution has resumed, sleep takes one of the following actions: Terminates normally with a 0 (zero) exit status. (See the sleep(3) reference page for more information.) Ignores the signal Performs default processing EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Execution was successfully suspended for at least the requested time, or a SIGALARM signal was received. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display a message at 4-minute intervals for 20 minutes, create a shell script called remind containing the following: for i do sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i done To display the message Try calling NHK at 4-minute intervals, enter: remind 'Try calling NHK' To run a command at regular intervals, create a shell script containing the following: while true do date sleep 60 done This displays the date and time once a minute. To execute a command after a specified interval, enter the following; (sleep 3600; echo Time's up) & This displays the message "Time's up" after one hour. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of sleep: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: wait(1) Functions: alarm(3), pause(3), sigaction(2), sleep(3) Standards: standards(5) sleep(1)