Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare two text files and Only show the differences Post 302372830 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 18th of November 2009 11:42:45 PM
Old 11-19-2009
Code:
man diff
man grep ## look at the -f option

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 files for a single column and output differences

Hi, I have a column in 2 different files which i want to compare, and output the results to a different file. The columns are in different positions in those 2 files. File 1 the column is in position 10-15 File 2 the column is in position 15-20 Please advise Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding differences between 2 text files

Hi everyone, I know that's a deep treated issue but I'm actually not able to find the solution. I have 2 plain text files with ~ 2000 rows and ~5 columns. The first column of the shortest file (f1) is fully contained by the first column of the biggest one (f2), but only that column. I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: OBAFGKM
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare and merging the differences in text file

Hi i have gone through some sdiff command it shows the differences side by side and its really awesome file 1: this tool is for checking the differ merging with flower pots documentation file 2: this t ool is for checking the differ mergin g with flower pots documentation ... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
27 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 files and show count same content.

$ cat File1 Non HTTP response code:java.net.ConnectException225073X 000000005143329Load time: 402335410224 Non HTTP response code: ava.net.ConnectException206423X 000000005143330Load time: 402305687161 Non HTTP response code: ava.net.ConnectException290212X 000000005143331Load time:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare the two files and list out differences between the two

Hi, I need to compare the two files and list out difference between the two. Please assist. Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

6. AIX

Compare two files and show the mismatch columns

I need to compare two files and find the mismatch columns in it for csv and fixed width file. Eg: file1 c1,c2,c3,c4<----columnname 1,a,4,d 2,b,5,e 3,c,6,f file2 c1,c2,c3,c4<----columnname 3,x,7,f 2,y,8,e 1,z,9,d output c2,c3<---- mismatch columname a,4 x,7 b,5 or y,8 Ok with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabzR
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell Script to Compare Files and Email the differences

Hi, I have 2 files abc.txt and bdc.txt. I am using $diff -y abc.txt bcd.txt -- compared the files side by side I would like to write a Shell Script to cmpare the files side by side and print the results( which are not matched) in a side by side format and save the results in another... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuvv
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies
MESSAGES(3)						  libbash messages Library Manual					       MESSAGES(3)

NAME
messages -- libbash library that implements a set of functions to print standard status messages SYNOPSIS
printOK [indent] printFAIL [indent] printNA [indent] printATTN [indent] printWAIT [indent] DESCRIPTION
General messages is a collection of functions to print standard status messages - those [ OK ] and [FAIL] messages you see during Linux boot process. The function list: printOK Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) Detailed interface description follows. indent Column to move to before printing. Default indent is calculated as TTY_WIDTH-10. If current tty width can not be determined (for example, in case of serial console), it defaults to 80, so default indent is 80-10=10 FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
printOK [indent] Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL [indent] Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA [indent] Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN [indent] Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT [indent] Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) EXAMPLES
Run a program named MyProg, and report it's success or failure: echo -n 'Running MyProg...' printWAIT if MyProg ; then printOK else printFAIL fi AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux