Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Numerically sort problem for a long list of file name Post 302372788 by rdcwayx on Wednesday 18th of November 2009 07:55:53 PM
Old 11-18-2009
Are you sure? this command should work.
Code:
$ sort -t_ -k2n urfile
data_1.txt
data_2.txt
data_3.txt
data_4.txt
data_10.txt
data_12.txt
data_21.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort file alphabetically AND numerically

Hi all. I have 2 files like this: f1 A 10 B 80 C 9 f2 A 11 B 700 C 10 What I want is the concatenation of the two files sorted by name (alphabetically) and size (numerically), so the result should be like this: F3 (cat f1 f2 sorted) A 10 A 11 B 80 B 700 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort 2 columns numerically

Hi, A basic query. In the example file below, I want to sort by column 1 and then by column 2 numerically. I have tried sort -k2n,1 file1 but while this sorts the columns in the correct order, it does not sort column 2 numerically. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, if you have time to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: auburn
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort numerically a non numerical

Hello, I have this sample data: 01 * * * * 01 * * * * 01 * * * * 01 * * * * 01 0 * * * 01 0 * * * 01 0 * * * 01 0 * * * 02 * * * 0 02 * * * 0 02 * * * 6 02 * * * 6 02 0 * * 1 02 0 * * 1 02 0 * * 2 02 0 * * 2 02 0 * * 3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort alphabetically, then numerically

Greetings - I'm not necessarily new to bash scripting - I'm probably between beginner and intermediate, but I have something that I just cannot figure out after many attempts to find it. I have a file that is merely a list of many files, with their respective paths, and a branch path (ClearCase)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1cor29
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cat long list of file

I have long list of input file's content that I plan to "cat" all of the content into another output file. The total input file is around 20,000 which all named with ".txt" Below is the command that I try: cat *.txt > all_file.out -bash: /usr/bin/sudo: Cannot allocate memory Unfortunately,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument list too long problem

I have a huge set of files (with extension .common) in my directory around 2 million. When I run this script on my Linux with BASH, I get /bin/awk: Argument list too long awk -F'\t' ' NR == FNR { a=NR } NR != FNR { sub(".common", "", FILENAME) print a, FILENAME, $1 } '... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Reverse the order of a list of file names (but not sort them alphabetically or numerically)

Hello all, I have a list of file names in a text document where each file name consists of 4 letters and 3 numbers (for example MACR119). There are 48 file names in the document (they are not in alphabetical or numerical order). I would like to reorder the list of names so that the 48th name is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List numerically in ascending order

Hello, I am running ubuntu 16.04 and trying to list all files inside a directory, I need to sort them in ascending order. While surfing on the site, I found an old thread but somehow it did not work. Link Ascending order with sort -nk2 myfile.txt command gives below output: file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to sort files in directory numerically?

Trying to sort a bunch of files numerically but can't seem to get the command just right. This is in a IBM AIX machine. I have a directory that has... backup.bk1 backup.bk100 backup.bk2 backup.bk200 backup.bk3 backup.bk300 There are a lot more files but this is shortened for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
5 Replies
X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)					       Generic Mapping Tools						 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)

NAME
x2sys_merge - Merge an updated COEs tables SYNOPSIS
x2sys_merge -Amain_COElist.d -Mnew_COElist.d DESCRIPTION
x2sys_merge will read two crossovers data base and output the contents of the main one updated with the COEs in the second one. The second file should only contain updated COEs relatively to the first one. That is, it MUST NOT contain any new two tracks intersections (This point is NOT checked in the code). This program is useful when, for any good reason like file editing NAV correction or whatever, one had to recompute only the COEs between the edited files and the rest of the database. -A Specify the file main_COElist.d with the main crossover error data base. -M Specify the file new_COElist.d with the newly computed crossover error data base. OPTIONS
No space between the option flag and the associated arguments. EXAMPLES To update the main COE_data.txt with the new COEs estimations saved in the smaller COE_fresh.txt, try x2sys_merge -ACOE_data.txt -MCOE_fresh.txt > COE_updated.txt SEE ALSO
x2sys_binlist(1), x2sys_cross(1), x2sys_datalist(1), x2sys_get(1), x2sys_init(1), x2sys_list(1), x2sys_put(1), x2sys_report(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)