Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Console Setup for RS-232 port on 9131-52A Post 302372761 by mrmurdock on Wednesday 18th of November 2009 05:06:43 PM
Old 11-18-2009
does the 9131 have ribbon cables to the serial ports internally, or are they hard soldered into the planar?
Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing is working. I tested on our local power5 server (9117), and Null modem cable to pc works fine. My next test is to boot onto install media and see if it will assign the com port on the IBM to a console.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console access via serial port - settings

looking for the answer to console port access via 25pin serial. Can i tip in from another unix box for access? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simplimarvelous
5 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to setup a PORT

Hi there, I need to specify a port on my server (Linux Red Hat 7.2) so that when I access it throgh the browser it forwards me to a certain webpage or folder on the server. For example, when I write http://domain.com: on the client side, it takes me to an administrator webpage on the server.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAS
5 Replies

3. Solaris

When connecting to console port (db-25) sends break

Does anyone know how to disable this: When I plug a console cable into the back of a sun box using the DB-25 interface, it sends the box to the ok prompt. I heard thiere is a way to disable this, but I have not had luck finding it. Thanks in advance!! Brian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

printer port setup

Does anybody know how to add a printer from network in Solaris 10 using IP settings? according to our IT support, in order to add this printer in Windows XP we introduce it as a local printer which is connected to a port with an IP address, like 128.79.44.110. Anyway I don't know how it can be done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arash05
3 Replies

5. Solaris

URGENT - setup port and dump all output to /dev/null or a file

Please help urgently. I need to setup up some sort of service on a solaris server on a port. I dont need it do anything special, anything that is sent to this port from an external server should be dump to /dev/null or a flat file.. Can you help urgently? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

6. AIX

SMC multi port Printserver setup on AIX 6.1

Hi Guys, I have SMC 3 port print server would liek to create 3 queues for each port , please advice what port name or number should be used while creating the quues , I have hpjetdirect and I have tried raw1, raw2 and raw3 on it and it works but it doesnt work for SMC , please advice. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Valeed
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to setup a serial console?

i am running solaris 10 in my vmware workstation. How to setup a console for my solaris box. in Vmware i could see a serial port option. can some one help me on how i can setup a console . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
0 Replies

8. AIX

Unable to access to p5 9131 AIX system

Hi, I am very newbie with AIX system. I have changed the default IP address 192.168.2.147 of HMC1 to our LAN IP address. I can ping to the new ip address but unable to access to ASMI again with the new ip address. Is there a way that I can connect to the console or can reset to the default... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: lilyn
20 Replies

9. Web Development

Setup Serial Port

I need to set a serial port to 9600 7E1. How do I accomplish this? I've tried every combination, with no luck. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
6 Replies
SETUPCON(1)						    Console-setup User's Manual 					       SETUPCON(1)

NAME
setupcon - sets up the font and the keyboard on the console SYNOPSIS
setupcon [OPTION]... [VARIANT] DESCRIPTION
setupcon is a program for fast and easy setup of the font and the keyboard on the console. Most of the time you invoke setupcon without arguments. The keyboard configuration is specified in ~/.keyboard or /etc/default/keyboard. The font configuration is specified in ~/.console-setup or /etc/default/console-setup. Consult keyboard(5) and console-setup(5) for instructions how to configure these two files. If you have to switch often between different encodings, keyboards or languages, you can prepare several alternative configuration files for setupcon. Suppose that most of the time you will use Greek language with Greek keyboard layout, but sometimes you need to type in Ger- man with German keyboard layout. In this situation you should customize the main configuration files (keyboard and console-setup) for Greek. Also, create alternative configuration files for German named keyboard.german and console-setup.german. Then in order to configure the console for Greek you will simply run the command with no arguments: setupcon and in order to configure the console for German you will use setupcon german. OPTIONS
VARIANT Specifies which configuration file to use. With no variant, the configuration files of setupcon are named console-setup and key- board. On the other hand, if you use e.g. chukchi as VARIANT then the configuration files are console-setup.chukchi and key- board.chukchi. In this way you can have easy access to several different configurations - for example one for the Chukchi language and another for the default configuration. -v, --verbose Be more verbose. Use this option if something goes wrong or while experimenting with the configuration files. -k, --keyboard-only Setup the keyboard only, do not setup the font or the terminal. On Linux it is enough to do this configuration only once. -f, --font-only Setup the font only, do not setup the keyboard or the terminal. On Linux this configuration should be repeated each time a new con- sole driver is activated (for example when the frame buffer becomes active). -t, --terminal-only Setup the terminal only, do not setup the keyboard or the font. --current-tty Setup the only the current virtual terminal. --force Do not check whether we are on the console. Notice that you can be forced to hard-reboot your computer if you run setupcon with this option and the screen is controlled by a X server. --save This option can be useful if you want to use setupcon early in the boot process while /usr is not yet mounted and the required data are not available. This option will make setupcon copy the required files in /etc/console-setup/ in order to make them available before /usr is mounted. If you use setupcon early in the boot process, then you should run it with this option after every change of the console configuration. --save-only The same as --save, but does not setup anything. This option can be useful if you want to save the required files while the screen is controlled by a X server. --save-keyboard FILE For use by initrd builders. Do not configure anything. Save an usable keyboard layout in FILE. --setup-dir DIR For use by initrd builders. Do not configure anything. Arrange in the directory DIR everything necessary in order to configure the console. The file DIR/morefiles lists all binaries the initrd builder has to install in the initrd image. All other files in DIR have to be copied unchanged in the initrd. In order to configure the console one has to run the script DIR/bin/setupcon. -h, --help Display usage information. FILES
~/.console-setup ~/.keyboard /etc/default/console-setup /etc/default/keyboard /etc/default/console-setup.VARIANT /etc/default/keyboard.VARIANT /etc/console-setup/ SEE ALSO
keyboard(5), console-setup(5) console-setup 2011-03-17 SETUPCON(1)