Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming a file and replacing the special character in the name with date Post 302372719 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 18th of November 2009 02:50:32 PM
Old 11-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav192
can we achieve this using sed??
Something like this?

Code:
sed 's/\(.*\)#\(.*\)/mv & \1.'"$(date "+%Y%m%d")"'.\2/' | sh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing string with special character ???

the problem is while replacing the old string with new one with the help of SED i am unable to replace the special characters with new strings. how can i do that? i dont want the user to be given the trouble to write '\' before every special characters like * , . , \ , $ , &. sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imppayel
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Mount a character special file

Hi together I have 2 systems, mars and venus. The configuration is the same. Every system has a SDLT. I will now backup the datas from mars on the tapedevice from venus. I have shareed the tapedevice (venus) and mounted on mars. Now my problem: when I write on the mountet tapedevice, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MuellerUrs
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a special character in file

hi i want to delete a particular character in file. example file name:abcsample abc=bbbqw3/ hidh=ajjqiwio4/ xyx=hakjp/ ........../ ......./ i want to delete that special character (/) in abcsample file.please give the required commands for my requirement. thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a special character in file

hi i want to delete a particular character in file. example file name:abcsample abc=bbbqw3/ hidh=ajjqiwio4/ xyx=hakjp/ ........../ ......./ i want to delete that special character (/) in abcsample file Permnently.please give the required commands for my requirement. required... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivsn
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Special character in my file

I have a special character in my file. It displays as a '#' sign but when I do this command I do not find the line. fgrep 'G#ant' file1 I want to replace the special character with another value but I need to know what character it really is. Any ideas on how to replace this '#' value with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse a file for a special character

hello, How to parse a file to see if a specific line is commented by '#' character? filename: file1 cat file1 ... # /usr/bin/whatever ... thank you (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Special Character from File.

Hi, My file has this special character "^M" I would like to remove this characters. eg: abc,abc,^M i tried using sed but doesnt work. i used octal dump command to see special character it returns following: 015 \r Appreciate your reply. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Date in the file with Create date and timestamp

Hello, I have files that with a naming convention as shown below. Some of the files have dates in the file name and some of them don't have dates in the file name. imap-hp-import-20150917.txt imap-dell-gec-import-20150901.txt imap-cvs-import-20150915.txt imap-gec-import.txt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing special character with sed

Hi All, I have a text file that contains I1SP2 *=*=Y=M=D001D My requirement is to replace all occurrence of =* to =Z expected o/p is I1SP2 *=Z=Y=M=D001D I have tried with sed 's/=*/=Z/g' file sed 's!\=*!\=Z/g' file sed 's!\=*!\=Z!g' file sed 's!\=\*!\=Z!g' file but its not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)