Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error in shell script when #!/bin/bash is used as shebang Post 302372609 by proactiveaditya on Wednesday 18th of November 2009 10:38:39 AM
Old 11-18-2009
Error in shell script when #!/bin/bash is used as shebang

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

echo -en "\033[1;32mEnter ACTIVATION KEY:\033[0m"
read ACTIVATION_KEY
case "$ACTIVATION_KEY" in +([a-z]|[A-Z]|[0-9]|'-'))
echo -e "\033[1;32mPatern Matched\033[0m"
;;
*)
echo -e "\033[1;32mYou seem to have entered wrong characters in both the earlier instances. Pattern matching failed\033[0m"
;;
esac

The above script works fine when the interpreter is ksh, but outputs the following error when #!/bin/bash is used as shebang:

Code:
test.sh: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `('
test.sh: line 5: `case "$ACTIVATION_KEY" in +([a-z]|[A-Z]|[0-9]|'-'))'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash and #1bin/sh command not found error on mac osx terminal/shell script

i am having a weird error on mac os x running some shell scripts. i am a complete newbie at this and this question concerns 2 scripts. one of which a friend of mine wrote (videochecker.sh) a couple weeks ago and it's been running fine on another machine. then last week i wrote capture.sh and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
2 Replies

3. Programming

Python converted from /bin/sh shell - backup script.

Hello, I have a shell script I wrote in /bin/sh to backup my web sever. I am now on a host (someone reselling rackspace server hosting to me) and when setting up cron, it actually has a dropdown list of "command languages" that you have to choose from. my options are: ruby php perl... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Install jdk.bin using shell script with auto yes/no?

#!/bin/sh echo "Installing Java!!!" cd /opt echo "Want to give execute Permissions to java!!!" chmod 755 jdk-6u7-linux-i586.bin echo "Executing the jdk script" ./jdk-6u7-linux-i586.bin This is the shell commands I am using... I want to know how to give answer to yes and no automatically... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepbharmori
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we use two shebang statements in a single shell script?

Hi, As per my understanding, we can use two shebang statements in a single shell script. Please see below snippet- #!/bin/bash .......## some code A #!/bin/csh .......## some code B exit 0; Here, code A will be executed using bash shell and code B will be executed with c shell. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunmudgal4u
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start powershell with shebang from windows/cygwin/bash?

I would like to the the windws8/cygwin/bash shebang feature to start a powershell script. I do a "chmod +x set-sound.ps1" and then at a bash prompt I do ./set-sound.ps1 The first line of ./set-sound.ps1 #!powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy unrestricted The result is the result: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Shebang line of Bash Script

Hello All, I was writing a Bash shell script that will be executed on both an AIX server (/usr/bin/ksh) and a SLES server (/bin/bash). The AIX server has Bash installed at "/usr/bin/bash", which is in a different dir then the SLES server. So basically I am writing the script on the SLES... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell script wont terminated if i don't modify the shebang

Hi all, I'm new to shell script i wrote some shell script for my colleague, everyone is fine,except on user we are using VNC viewer to work and there are some script start with shebang #! /bin/csh there is an user will not terminate after running the script even if a hello world i need... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pilistar0222
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)