Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Numerically sort problem for a long list of file name Post 302372505 by patrick87 on Wednesday 18th of November 2009 05:41:48 AM
Old 11-18-2009
Numerically sort problem for a long list of file name

I got a long list of file name.
My input:
data_1.txt
data_2.txt
data_3.txt
data_10.txt
data_21.txt
data_12.txt
data_4.txt

My desired output:
data_1.txt
data_2.txt
data_3.txt
data_4.txt
data_10.txt
data_12.txt
data_21.txt

Does anybody got idea how to archive it?
I got try this code:
Code:

ls *.txt | sort -n

But it give the output like this:
data_1.txt
data_10.txt
data_12.txt
data_2.txt
data_21.txt
data_3.txt
data_4.txt

Which is not what I want Smilie
Thanks a lot for suggestion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort file alphabetically AND numerically

Hi all. I have 2 files like this: f1 A 10 B 80 C 9 f2 A 11 B 700 C 10 What I want is the concatenation of the two files sorted by name (alphabetically) and size (numerically), so the result should be like this: F3 (cat f1 f2 sorted) A 10 A 11 B 80 B 700 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort 2 columns numerically

Hi, A basic query. In the example file below, I want to sort by column 1 and then by column 2 numerically. I have tried sort -k2n,1 file1 but while this sorts the columns in the correct order, it does not sort column 2 numerically. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, if you have time to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: auburn
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort numerically a non numerical

Hello, I have this sample data: 01 * * * * 01 * * * * 01 * * * * 01 * * * * 01 0 * * * 01 0 * * * 01 0 * * * 01 0 * * * 02 * * * 0 02 * * * 0 02 * * * 6 02 * * * 6 02 0 * * 1 02 0 * * 1 02 0 * * 2 02 0 * * 2 02 0 * * 3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort alphabetically, then numerically

Greetings - I'm not necessarily new to bash scripting - I'm probably between beginner and intermediate, but I have something that I just cannot figure out after many attempts to find it. I have a file that is merely a list of many files, with their respective paths, and a branch path (ClearCase)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1cor29
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cat long list of file

I have long list of input file's content that I plan to "cat" all of the content into another output file. The total input file is around 20,000 which all named with ".txt" Below is the command that I try: cat *.txt > all_file.out -bash: /usr/bin/sudo: Cannot allocate memory Unfortunately,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument list too long problem

I have a huge set of files (with extension .common) in my directory around 2 million. When I run this script on my Linux with BASH, I get /bin/awk: Argument list too long awk -F'\t' ' NR == FNR { a=NR } NR != FNR { sub(".common", "", FILENAME) print a, FILENAME, $1 } '... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Reverse the order of a list of file names (but not sort them alphabetically or numerically)

Hello all, I have a list of file names in a text document where each file name consists of 4 letters and 3 numbers (for example MACR119). There are 48 file names in the document (they are not in alphabetical or numerical order). I would like to reorder the list of names so that the 48th name is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List numerically in ascending order

Hello, I am running ubuntu 16.04 and trying to list all files inside a directory, I need to sort them in ascending order. While surfing on the site, I found an old thread but somehow it did not work. Link Ascending order with sort -nk2 myfile.txt command gives below output: file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to sort files in directory numerically?

Trying to sort a bunch of files numerically but can't seem to get the command just right. This is in a IBM AIX machine. I have a directory that has... backup.bk1 backup.bk100 backup.bk2 backup.bk200 backup.bk3 backup.bk300 There are a lot more files but this is shortened for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
5 Replies
grcompiler(1)															     grcompiler(1)

NAME
grcompiler - Compile GDL into a TrueType Font SYNOPSIS
grcompiler [-d] [-D] [-g] [-n number] [-v number] [-w number] [-wall] [-q] gdl-file font-file [output-file] [output-fontname] Description Grcompiler compiles a Graphite Description Language description of the smarts for a font along with a TrueType Font to create a graphite font with graphite tables in it. -d Generate XML debugger file. -D Generate all debugger files. -g Permit and ignore invalid glyph definitions. -nnumber Set name table start location. -q Quiet mode (no messages except on error). -vnumber Set Silf table version number. -wnnnn Ignore warning with the given number. This option may be repeated. -wall Display all warnings. Environment grcompiler makes use of the following environment variables GDLPP Specifies the command to execute to run the GDL preprocessor Files gdlerr.txt Warnings and errors are output to this file. dbg_classes.txt Debug file that specifies the classes stored in the font in terms of their GDL source and containing glyph ids in hex. dbg_cmap.txt Debug file giving Unicode to glyph mapping of all the glyphs in the font and vice versa. dbg_enginecode.txt Debug file containing the action code and constraint code associated with each pass and rule in a pass. dbg_fsm.txt Debug file that gives the finite state machines of each pass and the rules referenced. For each pass, a mapping is given between glyph and column number. dbg_glyphattrs.txt Debug file containing all the glyph attributes and their names, along with values specified for each glyph. dbg_parsetree.txt Debug file giving the complete parse tree of the GDL source file. dbg_ruleprec.txt Debug file that lists the rules in precedence order (order in which they will be tested) for each pass. $_temp.gdl Debug file containing the output of gdlpp Author Martin Hosken <mhosken@users.sourceforge.net> $Date: 2012-05-29 11:36:50 $ grcompiler(1)