Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using history of commands to save typing? Post 302372300 by pmasterkim on Tuesday 17th of November 2009 03:17:02 PM
Old 11-17-2009
Using history of commands to save typing?

Hi,
How do I add a history function to my shell? What I mean is if I have used the command: xemacs file.tex, I'd like to be able to type 'x' then use the arrow keys and go through all the commands I've done starting with an 'x'. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

History commands

Dear What's the command to be executed to retreive all history commands for a specific user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abu_hassan
1 Replies

2. Linux

history of commands

I would like to log all the commands I type (on the terminal) to a file. The command "history" does this only for current terminal only. I typically keep around 10 terminals open. Thanks, j Note: I do not have root access. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superuser84
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

save history

Hi there, How can I add the current session command history to .bash_history? During a session, I type several commands. If I close my session, those commands are added to the file .bash_history. But if my session crashes or just if I loose connection, those commands are lost. Is there... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clearing history of commands executed

Hi, I have cleared the commands by using >$HOME/.sh_history. But if i issue HISTORY it shows some reference numbers but not the commands executed. But i want to truncate those line numbers too. May i know how i can achieve this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hiding history of my commands

i have several boxes running either ubuntu, redhat or solaris. there are multiple people with root access on these boxes. i really dont like people looking through my command history, is there a way i can prevent this? what files do i have to edit to prevent anyone from being able to see what... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

history commands

Hi Guys, I am running RHEL5, I am trying to find out the history of the cammands that were executed on my server. I have files that are missing I just want to find out what happened to them. I used history | more but I can't find anything related to my query. I also checked... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

commands History

how to list all commands history for a username during a certain time ? Maany Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to save and execute terminal commands in shell?

I frequently use some commands, which I want to save in some file say myregularshell.shthese are the commands I use, I tried saving and executing, but couldn't get the preview of execution, and result is also not coming if I copy same commands and paste it on terminal result is coming cd go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to save and run a list of commands?

Dear every one, I am working with the data of my lab program and I have to do many times by the same list of some commands (grep, then save to file, then use awk to delete odd lines, save to file, use awk to delete even lines, save to file...). Is there any way to save a list of command which I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamnu
4 Replies
MPROMPT(1)							      mprompt								MPROMPT(1)

NAME
mprompt - simple prompt-based control for mpd SYNOPSIS
mpompt [-s] [-m key=key] [-t n] [-f] [tty] [-T] [host] DESCRIPTION
mprompt is a mpd client with a prompt-based interface. It is designed to be usable on a headless machine. At the prompt, enter the name of a playlist, or part of the name of an album, artist, or song. Matching items will start playing. You can also paste in urls to stream. (If the perl String::Approx module is available, it will be used to handle typos, etc in the names you enter.) Use the left and right arrow keys to adjust volume, and the up and down arrow keys to move through the playlist. The Tab and Enter keys can both be used to pause and unpause playback. (Enter toggles pause only if nothing has been entered at the prompt.) Example of how to run mprompt in /etc/inittab: 1:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/mprompt /dev/tty1 OPTIONS
-s This option allows shell commands to be typed in to mprompt, to be run by whatever user it is running as. (Typically root if it is run from /etc/inittab). To enter a shell command, type a "!", followed by the command to run, followed by Enter. -m key=key This option allows remapping keys. Any key can be remapped to any other key, which is useful to support keyboard with unusual key layouts, or missing keys. For alphanumeric and punctuation keys, individual symbols can be remapped. For example, "-m a=b" will turn each entered "a" into "b". For other keys, use the following names: <return> <tab> <space> <up> <down> <left> <right> <backspace> For example, -m "n=<down>" will map the "n" key to the down arrow, causing that key to change to the next track; -m "<space>=<return>" will make the space bar act as a pause. It's possible to swap keys too. For example, -m "<down>=<up>" -m "<up>=<down>" A single key can also be bound to a series of keystrokes. For example, -m "1=Mule Variations<return>" will cause the "1" key to play the "Mule Variations" album, a nice choice. -t n Adds a timeout, a specified number of seconds after which the entry on the command line will be cleared. Useful for headless systems, to avoid cat-on-keyboard confusing your later commands. -T Enables terse output mode. This mode tries to avoid displaying excessive or complex things, with the intent that mprompt's output can be piped into a speech synthesiser, such as espeak. SEE ALSO
vipl(1) mptoggle(1) mpd(1) AUTHOR
Copyright 2009 Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> Licensed under the GNU GPL version 2 or higher. http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/mpdtoys perl v5.10.1 2010-03-06 MPROMPT(1)