Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl DBI: populate a scalar from a select statement Post 302372293 by hcclnoodles on Tuesday 17th of November 2009 03:17:27 PM
Old 11-17-2009
perl DBI: populate a scalar from a select statement

hi

every resource i see regarding DBI refers to retrieving data from a database into and array or a hash, but i havent seen anything on how to pull out a single value to a scalar

in my database i have a field called "forcewrite" with a value of "6". I am trying to connect to the database, pull this value straight out to a scalar variable, so i can evaluate it later... is there a way to do this ..?

I tried this but this just returns a value of "1" everytime i run it (im assuming it must be an error code or something because im not sure where its getting the "1" from)

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use DBI;
my $primac = "6666.5555.4444";
my $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:myDB","username","password",) or die $DBI::errstr;
my $force = $dbh->do("SELECT forcewrite FROM table WHERE primac = '$primac'") or die $DBI::errstr;
print "$force\n";

Is there a way to pull a value from a DB straight into a scalar ?

---------- Post updated at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:06 PM ----------

ive managed to get it working this way ...just would be nice if i could go straight to a scalar as opposed to the first element of an array... oh well

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use DBI;
my $primac = "6666.5555.4444";
my $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:myDB","username","password",) or die $DBI::errstr;
my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT forcewrite FROM admin WHERE primac = '$primac'") or die $DBI::errstr;
$sth->execute() or die  $DBI::errstr;
my $force = ($sth->fetchrow_array())[0];
print "$force\n";

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL DBI module install

We ran into an issue trying to install DBI and DB2 modules for perl for AIX from the link http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/perl/ We tried to install the DBI module using bash# perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBI' command. However we ended up with the following error. Stop. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl scalar variable in backquoted string

hi I've been searching all over the internet to simply do the following: $tempfile = "/usr/school/tempfile.dat"; $myvar = param('add'); ###add is the variable assigned to a popup menu `ls -l $myvar * >> $tempfile` ###I also tried `ls -l ${myvar}* >>$tempfile` open(ADDLIST,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehdi9
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scalar variable assignment in perl + { operator

When reading over some perl code in a software document, I came across an assignment statement like this $PATH = ${PROJECT}/......./.... In this particular form of scalar variable assignment, what does the curly braces operators do ? Also, what is the benefit in doing scalar assignment this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
3 Replies

4. Programming

perl dbi to oracle getting disconnect_all for oracle dbi help

hi i am trying to connect to an oracle database using dbi and i get this :: Driver has not implemented the disconnect_all method. at /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/DBI.pm line 575 END failed--call queue aborted. for all i know, the script was working earlier, but has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poggendroff
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Installing Perl DBI and DBD

Hi, i have some queries on installing the Perl DBI and the DBD Oracle. I know that i have to install the DBI first. I have the source files in a folder in my home directory.The commands to install arecd /home/DBI Perl Makefile.PL make make installI would like to know, after executing these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

populate PERL Hash

Hello I am new to perl and learning ...can you please explain why am i getting this error...as myHash is defined right above the code and I think it should be avilable in the sub function. Here is my code: <code> #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; %myHash=(); sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uandme2k2
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

connect to MySQL from Perl using DBI

Hi, I want to connect perl with the mysql to select and so on but the connection don't work code #!/usr/bin/perl BEGIN { # PERL MODULES WE WILL BE USING use DBI; $dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:mysql:C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\data\db1','','pass') or die $DBI::errstr;} #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eng_shimaa
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: help with DBI

Hi there, I have a bit of code similar to below (which ive actually got from perldoc, but mine is similar enough) $sth = $dbh->prepare(q{ SELECT region, sales FROM sales_by_region }); $sth->execute; my ($region, $sales); # Bind Perl variables to columns: $rv =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl DBI error

Hi All, I installed DBI module in a non INC location and using it in my script via "use lib". But it throw the below error at the "use DBI" step. Please help Usage: DBI::_install_method(dbi_class, meth_name, file, attribs=Nullsv) at /xx/xxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/oracle/lib/DBI.pm/oracle/lib/DBI.pm line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : converting file to different scalar elements

I have a text file containing 2 exec statements as below and trying to store the below 2 execs into 2 different scalar variables in perl. /* ICD Dist, Total */ /* need to export to Excel, sheet=ICD_Dist__Total */ exec( 'select sum(count(*)) cast(count(*)*100.0/sum(count(*)) over() as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
7 Replies
Authen::Simple::DBI(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Authen::Simple::DBI(3pm)

NAME
Authen::Simple::DBI - Simple DBI authentication SYNOPSIS
use Authen::Simple::DBI; my $dbi = Authen::Simple::DBI->new( dsn => 'dbi:SQLite:dbname=database.db', statement => 'SELECT password FROM users WHERE username = ?' ); if ( $dbi->authenticate( $username, $password ) ) { # successfull authentication } # or as a mod_perl Authen handler PerlModule Apache::DBI PerlModule Authen::Simple::Apache PerlModule Authen::Simple::DBI PerlSetVar AuthenSimpleDBI_dsn "dbi:SQLite:dbname=database.db" PerlSetVar AuthenSimpleDBI_statement "SELECT password FROM users WHERE username = ?" <Location /protected> PerlAuthenHandler Authen::Simple::DBI AuthType Basic AuthName "Protected Area" Require valid-user </Location> DESCRIPTION
DBI authentication. METHODS
* new This method takes a hash of parameters. The following options are valid: * dsn Database Source Name. Required. dsn => 'dbi:SQLite:dbname=database.db' dsn => 'dbi:mysql:database=database;host=localhost;' * statement SQL statement. The statement must take a single string argument (username) and return a single value (password). Required. statement => 'SELECT password FROM users WHERE username = ?' * username Database username. username => 'username' * password Database password. password => 'secret' * log Any object that supports "debug", "info", "error" and "warn". log => Log::Log4perl->get_logger('Authen::Simple::DBI') * authenticate( $username, $password ) Returns true on success and false on failure. SEE ALSO
Authen::Simple. Authen::Simple::Password. DBI. AUTHOR
Christian Hansen "ch@ngmedia.com" COPYRIGHT
This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-02-29 Authen::Simple::DBI(3pm)