Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming a file and replacing the special character in the name with date Post 302372200 by abhinav192 on Tuesday 17th of November 2009 09:51:58 AM
Old 11-17-2009
great help;

its working with the pipe

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing string with special character ???

the problem is while replacing the old string with new one with the help of SED i am unable to replace the special characters with new strings. how can i do that? i dont want the user to be given the trouble to write '\' before every special characters like * , . , \ , $ , &. sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imppayel
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Mount a character special file

Hi together I have 2 systems, mars and venus. The configuration is the same. Every system has a SDLT. I will now backup the datas from mars on the tapedevice from venus. I have shareed the tapedevice (venus) and mounted on mars. Now my problem: when I write on the mountet tapedevice, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MuellerUrs
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a special character in file

hi i want to delete a particular character in file. example file name:abcsample abc=bbbqw3/ hidh=ajjqiwio4/ xyx=hakjp/ ........../ ......./ i want to delete that special character (/) in abcsample file.please give the required commands for my requirement. thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a special character in file

hi i want to delete a particular character in file. example file name:abcsample abc=bbbqw3/ hidh=ajjqiwio4/ xyx=hakjp/ ........../ ......./ i want to delete that special character (/) in abcsample file Permnently.please give the required commands for my requirement. required... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivsn
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Special character in my file

I have a special character in my file. It displays as a '#' sign but when I do this command I do not find the line. fgrep 'G#ant' file1 I want to replace the special character with another value but I need to know what character it really is. Any ideas on how to replace this '#' value with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse a file for a special character

hello, How to parse a file to see if a specific line is commented by '#' character? filename: file1 cat file1 ... # /usr/bin/whatever ... thank you (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Special Character from File.

Hi, My file has this special character "^M" I would like to remove this characters. eg: abc,abc,^M i tried using sed but doesnt work. i used octal dump command to see special character it returns following: 015 \r Appreciate your reply. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Date in the file with Create date and timestamp

Hello, I have files that with a naming convention as shown below. Some of the files have dates in the file name and some of them don't have dates in the file name. imap-hp-import-20150917.txt imap-dell-gec-import-20150901.txt imap-cvs-import-20150915.txt imap-gec-import.txt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing special character with sed

Hi All, I have a text file that contains I1SP2 *=*=Y=M=D001D My requirement is to replace all occurrence of =* to =Z expected o/p is I1SP2 *=Z=Y=M=D001D I have tried with sed 's/=*/=Z/g' file sed 's!\=*!\=Z/g' file sed 's!\=*!\=Z!g' file sed 's!\=\*!\=Z!g' file but its not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
io_pipe(3)						     Library Functions Manual							io_pipe(3)

NAME
io_pipe - create a Unix pipe SYNTAX
#include <io.h> int io_pipe(int64 pfd[2]); DESCRIPTION
io_pipe creates a new UNIX ``pipe.'' The pipe can receive data and provide data; any bytes written to the pipe can then be read from the pipe in the same order. A pipe is typically stored in an 8192-byte memory buffer; the exact number depends on the UNIX kernel. Bytes are written to the end of the buffer and read from the beginning of the buffer. Once a byte has been read, it is eliminated from the buffer, making space for another byte to be written; readers cannot ``rewind'' a pipe to read old data. Once 8192 bytes have been written to the buffer, the pipe will not be ready for further writing until some of the bytes have been read. Once all the bytes written have been read, the pipe will not be ready for further reading until more bytes are written. io_pipe sets d[0] to the number of a new descriptor reading from the pipe, and sets d[1] to the number of a new descriptor writing to the pipe. It then returns 1 to indicate success. If something goes wrong, io_pipe returns 0, setting errno to indicate the error; in this case it frees any memory that it allocated for the new pipe, and it leaves d alone. SEE ALSO
io_readfile(3), io_createfile(3), io_socketpair(3) io_pipe(3)