Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read/Search file being written to giving error due to timing issues Post 302371830 by steadyonabix on Monday 16th of November 2009 12:33:02 PM
Old 11-16-2009
You are testing the sed output to see if it is an empty string but if the log file is not there RESULT =

Code:
sed: can't read x_new.log: No such file or directory

---------- Post updated at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:01 PM ----------

I think at a minimum you want to do something like this: -

Code:
${LOG_FILE_NEW}=x_new.log
${LOG_FILE}=some_log.log

[[ -a ${LOG_FILE_NEW} ]] && echo "Log file ${LOG_FILE_NEW} not found, exiting" && exit 1

while [[ true ]]
do
        [[ $(egrep -c "SHUTTING_DOWN|RUNNING" ${LOG_FILE_NEW}) -ne 0 ]] && break
        sleep 10
done
mv ${LOG_FILE_NEW} ${LOG_FILE}

Now you are not dependent on sed returning an empty string.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX 5.3 - There is no process to read data written to a pipe

I have the following code which works on AIX 4.3 but fails at times on AIX 5.3 with: cat: 0652-054 cannot write to output. There is no process to read data written to a pipe. validator="${validator_exe} ${validator_parms}" cmd_line="${CAT} ${data_file} | ${validator}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigsgb
6 Replies

2. AIX

Tape drive problem - no process to read data written to a pipe

Hi Everyone, The machine I'm working on is an AIX 5.3 LPAR running on a P650. oslevel -r shows 5300-08. I'm trying to take a backup to a SCSI tape drive, which has been working up until this point. I know of nothing that has changed recently to cause this problem. But when I try to take a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: need2bageek
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No process to read data written to a pipe on AIX

We use SAP application cluster on AIX. Communication between 2 of its instances is failing randomly with the following error: java.net.SocketException: There is no process to read data written to a pipe. The above error causes a cluster restart if an important communication fails. Can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues using array credentials to read contents of a file

Hi, I am trying to read the contents of a file using array credentials in unix. The file I am trying to read is tab separated and contains the below contents. # partnerid Direc Server Port Source_Dir Target_Dir Mask Remove Files Passwordless Compare Files ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aartikara
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -i option giving error no such file or directory

I created a shell with sed -i option. It is giving error - No such file or directory Ex - sed -i 's/yes/no' yes.txt sed -i 's/why/where' yes.txt sed -i 's/when/how' yes.txt Error - :No such file or directory When I run single line in my script say sed -i 's/yes/no' yes.txt... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahoo
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timing READ command - any key to exit

Hello everyone, I would like some help on an issue I have related to the read command with ksh93 (Unix AIX). I want to implement a 'press any key to exit' scenario. I have the following code: STTY=$(stty -g) if ;then stty -echo -icanon time 0 min 0 fi k="" while ];do read k #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
5 Replies

7. AIX

Opening a file in vi editor is giving out of memory error

Below is the error: Out of memory saving lines for undo - try using ed : Please help me how do I open this file. Best regards, Vishal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read a fast written log file at Real time speed?

Hello All, I am building a real time parser for a log file in my application. The log file is continuously written at a very fast pace and gets rolled over every 10 minutes. I have measured the speed and observed that around 1000 lines are written to it every second, each line about 30-40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies
FSCK-LARCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     FSCK-LARCH(1)

NAME
fsck-larch - verify that a larch B-tree is internally consistent SYNOPSIS
fsck-larch [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--fix] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--log-mode=MODE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [--trace=PATTERN] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
fsck-larch reads an on-disk, committed B-tree created by the larch Python library, and verifies that it is internally consistent. It re- ports any problems it finds, but does not currently fix them. OPTIONS
--config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --fix fix problems found? --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log, or "none" to disable log- ging --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --log-mode=MODE set permissions of new log files to MODE (octal; default 0600) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output --trace=PATTERN add PATTERN to trace patterns --version show program's version number and exit SEE ALSO
Larch home page (http://liw.fi/larch/). FSCK-LARCH(1)