Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Translating the same file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Translating the same file Post 302371579 by gagan8877 on Sunday 15th of November 2009 06:42:34 PM
Old 11-15-2009
Translating the same file

I want to strip off '\032' character from a file using:

tr -d '\032' < oldfile > newfile

this outputs the contents of oldfile to newfile, but I wanna do that in the same file i.e. remove the \032 character from the old file. I tried:

tr -d '\032' < oldfile > oldfile

But the oldfile contents were lost. How to do that?

Thanks

Last edited by gagan8877; 11-15-2009 at 08:19 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

translating device to filesystem in solaris10

Greetings, I have a oracle database server and i keep getting grid control message Metric=Disk Device Busy (%) Metric Value=98.66 Disk Device=ssd430 Severity=Critical Message=Disk Device ssd430 is 98.66% busy. so I am trying to correlate the ssd430 to the filesystem. I understand this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: p4cldba
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translating/Replacing characters in a file

Hi, i have a given file named hugo.dat. In this file there are several lines that contain characters like } and ~ Now, i need a script that replaces the character } to ü and character ~ to ß Can anyone help for a working ksh script? Kind Regards FranzB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FranzB
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translating physical/virtual addresses

Hi all, I am new to Linux kernel/user space programming having been an assembly programmer in my previous life. I am now using 2.6.x kernel on an embedded CPU that has a few dedicated hardware blocks (including more CPU running just C-code, i.e., no operating system). There is a single DRAM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help translating this to shell

Hello Im new here, I just got my first VPS and I really need help converting this .bat to shell script so i can run my program. @echo off @title DiamondMS v117 set CLASSPATH=.;dist\* java -client -Dnet.sf.odinms.wzpath=wz server.Start pause I have no idea what im doing to convert this... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: valleric
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translating script to perl

awk/shell: UWARNING=90 UCRITICAL=97 PXNAME=$(echo $line | awk -F, '{print $1}') SVNAME=$(echo $line | awk -F, '{print $2}') FRUPERCENT=$(echo $line | awk -F, '{print ($5 / $7) * 100}') ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Portable way of translating epoch time

echo $(date +%s) | awk '{ print strftime("%c", $2"-"$3"-"$NF"/"$4); }' The above command only seems to work on newer versions of awk or systems with gawk installed. how can i translate the epoch time into a human readable format using a portable method? also, date -d@$epochtime does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
VCONSOLE.CONF(5)                                                   vconsole.conf                                                  VCONSOLE.CONF(5)

NAME
vconsole.conf - configuration file for the virtual console SYNOPSIS
/etc/vconsole.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/vconsole.conf file configures the virtual console, i.e. keyboard mapping and console font. The basic file format of the vconsole.conf is a newline-separated list environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. Note that the kernel command line options vconsole.keymap=, vconsole.keymap.toggle=, vconsole.font=, vconsole.font.map=, vconsole.font.unimap= may be used to override the console settings at boot. Depending on the operating system other configuration files might be checked for configuration of the virtual console as well, however only as fallback. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: KEYMAP=, KEYMAP_TOGGLE= Configures the key mapping table of for they keyboard. KEYMAP= defaults to us if not set. The KEYMAP_TOGGLE= can be used to configured a second toggle keymap and is by default unset. FONT=, FONT_MAP=, FONT_UNIMAP= Configures the console font, the console map and the unicode font map. FONT= defaults to latarcyrheb-sun16. EXAMPLE
Example 1. German keyboard and console /etc/vconsole.conf: KEYMAP=de-latin1 FONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 SEE ALSO
systemd(1), loadkeys(1), setfont(8), locale.conf(5) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer systemd 10/07/2013 VCONSOLE.CONF(5)