Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Detect lines beginning with double-byte characters (Japanese) and delete Post 302371574 by daptal on Sunday 15th of November 2009 06:06:23 PM
Old 11-15-2009
If you want the end file to just have english characters then you can use this

Code:
 awk '$0 ~ /[A-Za-z]/ {print $0}' abc.txt

Note:- This way it will eliminate other languages also

HTH,
PL

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines from file2 beginning w/file1

I've been searching around here and other places, but can't put this together... I've got a unique list of words in file 1 (one word on each line). I need to delete each line in file2 that begins with the word in file1. I started this way, but want to know how to use file1 words instead... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete zero byte file

Hello I have a requirement where i need to find the zero byte size file in the directory and need to delete that zero byte file. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email a File from UNIX which has Japanese characters in it

Hi, I'm trying to email from UNIX, a file which has Japanese characters in it (i,e. in the contents -- not the filename). The file gets emailed, but the Japanese characters do not show up properly when I open the file on Windows in my Outlook mailbox. I searched a lot of forums but still... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jainkirti
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete all lines with less then 32 characters from a textfile?

I need to delete all lines with less then 32 characters from a textfile. :) (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: anna428
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing one or more blank characters from beginning of a line

Hi, I was trying to remove the blank from beginning of a line. when I try: sed 's/^ +//' filename it does not work but when I try sed 's/^ *//' filename it works But I think the first command should have also replaced any line with one or more blanks. Kindly help me in understanding... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on Rhel 6?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on my RHEL 6 Console. There is no more "bogl-bterm" for RHEL6, that is not supported anymore. Is there any way that I could display them? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
2 Replies

7. SuSE

Display Chinese and Japanese characters on my SLES console.

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on my SLES 11 Console. Is there any way that I could display those characters on my console? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing characters from beginning of multiple files

Hi, I have been searching how to do this but I can't seem to find how to do it. Hopefully someone can help. I have multiplr files, 100's example 12345-zxys.213423.zyz.txt. I want to be able to take all these files and remove the first '12345-' from each of the files. '12345-' these characters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: israr75
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inserting n characters to beginning of line if match

I would like to insert n number of characters at the beginning of each line that starts with a given character. If possible, I would be most appreciative for a sed or awk solution. Given the data below, I would like to be able to insert either 125 spaces or 125 "-" at the beginning of every line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
6 Replies
dxjim(1X)																 dxjim(1X)

NAME
dxjim - An input server for Japanese DESCRIPTION
In a Motif environment such as CDE, Asian language input methods are supported by independent processes called input servers. The Japanese input server (dxjim) is an X client process that can run on a standard X server, provided that the server system has the required Japanese fonts installed. This means that the Japanese input server can run on any system that can access your X display device, including the device itself. Starting the Input Server If your CDE session language is set to Japanese, the Japanese input server is started automatically, and both the language setting and the Japanese input method is available for applications that you start during that session. If your session language is not set to Japanese, you can switch to Japanese from a terminal emulation window by setting the LANG environment variable to a Japanese locale. From the same terminal emulation window, you must also use the command line to start the Japanese input method server and then other applications in which you want to use Japanese. You can start the input server on your local workstation by using the following command: % /usr/bin/X11/dxjim & If you want to start the input server on a remote system, log on the remote system, and enter the following commands. Substitute the name of your local system for <display_name> in the first command. % setenv DISPLAY <display_name>:0 % /usr/bin/X11/dxjim & After the input server is started, any Motif applications that have been internationalized to support Japanese can communicate with the server to obtain input method services. However, remember that these applications must be started after the server is started. RESTRICTIONS
This input server uses X11R6. It can connect to input-method clients running X11R4, X11R5, or X11R6 under the same locale. However, support for multiple monitors (multi-head systems) is available only to clients also running X11R6. Support for multiple monitors is not available to input-method clients using X11R5 or X11R4. SEE ALSO
Commands: dxhangulim(1X), dxhanziim(1X), dxhanyuim(1X), locale(1) Others: Japanese(5), i18n_intro(5), l10n_intro(5) dxjim(1X)