Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the purpose of 2 >&1 in crontab? Post 302371467 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 15th of November 2009 02:05:07 AM
Old 11-15-2009
This is just so funny. I keep saying stdin when i mean stdout.. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ssh & crontab bug

Does any one knows a work around for the crontab bug when connecting using ssh to a Solaris 8 system? When you submit a crontab job through a ssh session, the job will not be executed, SunSolve has reported no fixing patches? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Negm
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purpose of 2>&1 in the command

Can any body kindly tell me what is the purpose of 2>&1 in the following commands. nohup ./append_import.sh 1 > import1.out 2>&1 < /dev/null & nohup ./append_import.sh 2 > import2.out 2>&1 < /dev/null & (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmunir
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab & var/spool/mai

Hi there, I'm using crontab to move some files every minute, but when crontab doesn't find these files it sends a message to the file "user_name" in the directory "var/spool/mail". Is it possible to "bypass" this problem? Thanks in advance, Giordano Bruno (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
1 Replies

4. Fedora

Crontab & MAILTO

Hi there, I'm working with two servers, one with FEDORA 6 and the other one with FEDORA 7, and if I put these lines in crontab: MAILTO=MYADDRESS@mail.com */1 * * * * df -h everything works fine on FEDORA 7 , while it doesn't work on6?!?...and I find this message in the log file: MAIL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
2 Replies

5. Solaris

ifconfig primary & standby purpose

I have two ethernet interfaces nge0 and nge1. An IP assigned on nge0 is 10.10.10.1/24 and on nge1 is 20.20.20.1/24. I want to make nge0 as primary interface. My question here is, 1. Being nge0 as primary interface, if I ping to an IP 20.20.20.5, what will happen? 2. If the answer for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Purpose of <>

Hi, I have read from the book that , <> causes the file to be used as both input as well as output. Can anyone give me the scenario where <> will be useful? Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
10 Replies

7. Solaris

[HELP] what does "2>&1" do in crontab?

Hi Experts, I would like to know, what does "2>&1" do in crontab? example: * * * * * /export/user/home/test.sh >> /export/user/home/logtest.log 2>&1 My colleague told me the commabd 2>&1 mean to prevent crontab sending an email (sendmail on /var/mail/root) when the script failed. So, if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Crontab & TOP output

Hello Guru's I'm trying to take the output of solaris top command and output to a txt file every few minutes. The issue that I'm experiencing is that I can run the following: #!/bin/bash # logfile="/usr/mvf/morris/top.log" # echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlemorris
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission on crontab & mysql

HI, I am using centos 6 and finding difficultly in doing 2 below things. 1. i have a user praveen i want to allow him to create cron job of his own. so i have added his user id in cron.allow but still it is not allowing him to edit(even if i have created praveen from root user) or create his... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenkumar198
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab 2>&1 not emailing

I have a script that emails me when I run it manually, but the crontab I'm using must be 'silencing' the output? Here's what I have: */15 * * * * /usr/src/blah.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 I don't want it to email me every time it runs, just when I run the sendmail command inside the script if the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
13 Replies
yum-cron(8)															       yum-cron(8)

NAME
yum-cron - an interface to convieniently call yum from cron SYNOPSIS
yum-cron [config-file] DESCRIPTION
yum-cron is an alternate interface to yum that is optimised to be convenient to call from cron. It provides methods to keep repository metadata up to date, and to check for, download, and apply updates. Rather than accepting many different command line arguments, the dif- ferent functions of yum-cron can be accessed through config files. config-file is used to optionally specify the path to the configuration file to use. If it is not given, the default configuration file will be used. It is useful to be able to specify different configuration files for different use cases. For example, one configuration file might be set to update the repository metadata, and a line could be added to the crontab to run yum-cron frequently using this file. Then, another configuration file might be set to install updates, and yum-cron could be run from cron using this file just once each day. FILES
/etc/yum/yum-cron.conf /etc/yum/yum-cron-hourly.conf SEE ALSO
yum (8) AUTHORS
See the Authors file included with this program. BUGS
There of course aren't any bugs, but if you find any, you should email the mailing list, yum@lists.baseurl.org, or consult bugzilla. Nick Jacek yum-cron(8)