Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete the files older than 3 weeks in a particular directory. Post 302371444 by jsmithstl on Saturday 14th of November 2009 08:15:16 PM
Old 11-14-2009
Try testing your code. Setup some test directories and files. you can use the touch command to create files and change the date on the file. Create some files and directories that would fall within your delete window and some that don't. you can even create a script to generate these test files to make it easily repeatable.

Code:
mkdir tst
ls -lrt
drwxr-xr-x 2 user usrgrp 4096 Nov 14 18:02 tst
touch -t 200910121314 tst
ls -lrt
drwxr-xr-x 2 user usrgrp 4096 Oct 12 13:14 tst
touch -t 200910121314 tfile.tst
ls -lrt

drwxr-xr-x 2 user usrgrp 4096 Oct 12 13:14 tst
-rw-r--r-- 1 user usrgrp    0 Oct 12 13:14 tfile.tst

Whenever I am writing a script that removes files, I always have the script list the files the script has targeted for removal and verify those are the files I expect before I implement the rm command.

Good luck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check whether the given file is 5 weeks older than current date

HI, I need to check whether the given file is 5 weeks older than current date ?? Can anyone give me the script for this ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: risshanth
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files older than 5 minutes in directory (recursively)

sorry guys can some please give me a hint how to achieve this in a slick oneliner? delete files older than 5 minutes in specified directory (recursively) peace (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
3 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to delete all the files which are more than 3 weeks old in a particular directory.Thnx in advanc

(12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than 10 Days in a directory

Hi All I want to remove the files with name like data*.csv from the directory older than 10 days. If there is no files exists to remove older than 10 days, It should not do anything. Thanks Jo (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshjohney
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete multiple folders in a directory which are two weeks old

I need help. I have to delete multiple directories inside a directory that are two weeks old. Example: Today is July 09, 2012 Folder1 > folder1 (created June 4, 2012) -- should be deleted > folder2 (created June 2, 2012) -- should be deleted > folder3 (created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Pull lines older than N weeks

There is another post in the forums that is similar to what I am trying to do, however, the thread is closed. So, I am creating this new one to see if someone could help. I am trying to use the code Ahamed posted, and tweak it. With the info from the forum, I recreated the scenario the person... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karstenjhilton
8 Replies

8. AIX

Want to delete directory, subdirectories and all files which are older than 7 days

how do i remove sub directories of a directory and all files which are older than 7 days by a single command in AIX. pls help me. I am using command as #find /gpfs1/home/vinod/hpc/ -depth -type d -mtime +7 -exec rm -rf {} \; so i want to delete all sub directories and all files from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinodkmpal
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move log files with date and delete older than 3 weeks

I have written a script which generate one logfile on every sunday and thursday I want to move the older log files into /tmp directory befor generating new one so i used mv command like mv usr/sbin/appl/logfile.txt usr/sbin/appl/tmp 2) But when i move this file to /tmp it will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List 2 weeks older file on specific directory

Ive been a vocal of FIND command even before. Command below doesnt really give me the file that is older than two weeks.. Is there a script that will list me the log files that i want like for this date December 10, 2014, it shud list me the date between November 26, 2014 and below. When i run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
6 Replies
DBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)						Debian Build System						 DBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
dbs-edit-patch - Edit a DBS patch SYNOPSIS
dbs-edit-patch [options] patch dbs-edit-patch -h|--help DESCRIPTION
dbs-edit-patch is script to generate or modify patches for Debian source-packages in DBS format. WARNING
dbs is deprecated, please switch to the `3.0 (quilt)' Debian source package format instead. See http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/Deb- Src3.0#FAQ for a short guide how to do it. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show summary of options. -t dir, --tmpdir=dir Directory for the temporary files, default is /tmp or if set $TMP. -s dir, --sourcedir=dir Top level directory of the debian-package source-tree, default is the present working directory. -P dir, --sourcepatchdir=dir Directory containing upstream patches. -T dir, --sourcetardir=dir Directory containing the upstream tarball. -p level, --strip=level Striplevel -p of patch (Option -p of diff(1)), accepted values are 0 and 1, default is 0. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
TMP Sets the directory for the temporary files, can be overridden with -t dir. debian/vars dbs-edit-patch will automatically use variables defined in the optional debian/vars file. When a file debian/vars.in exists and debian/vars either does not exist or is older than any of the following files: debian/vars.in, debian/changelog, debian/rules or debian/control, then dbs-edit-patch will try updating the vars file by running the following command make -f debian/rules -W debian/vars.in debian/vars EXAMPLES
Edit the 021_debian patch of Heimdal: ~/heimdal-0.3d> dbs-edit-patch -t/tmp 021_debian Extracting source heimdal-0.3d.tar.gz ... successful. Applying patch 001_replay ... successful. etc. Copying heimdal-0.3d to heimdal-0.3d-old ... successful. Applying patch 021_debian ... successful. Edit files under /tmp/021_debian/heimdal-0.3d as required, then put a short description into /tmp/021_debian/patch-description if desired, and finally execute /tmp/021_debian/dbs-update-patch to save the results. Technical note: dbs-edit-patch extracts all patches before 021_debian into /tmp/021_debian/heimdal-0.3d, copies the result to /tmp/021_debian/heimdal-0.3d-old, and applies the last patch 021_debian (if it exists). Also, it creates a shell script which will create the diff between the old and new directories: ~/heimdal-0.3d> ls -la /tmp/021_debian total 12 -rwxr-xr-x 1 bam users 112 Jan 31 13:31 dbs-update-patch* -rw-r--r-- 1 bam users 0 Jan 31 13:31 patch-description drwxr-xr-x 14 bam users 4096 Jan 31 13:31 heimdal-0.3d/ drwxr-xr-x 14 bam users 4096 Jan 31 13:31 heimdal-0.3d-old/ drwxr-xr-x 5 bam users 4096 Jan 31 13:31 .stampdir/ ~/heimdal-0.3d> cat /tmp/021_debian/dbs-update-patch #!/bin/sh -e cd "/tmp/021_debian" HOOK_DIR="/usr/src/heimdal/debian/dbs-hooks" test -d "$HOOK_DIR" && run-parts "$HOOK_DIR" --arg update-patch-prediff find -name "*.bak" -print0 | xargs -0 --no-run-if-empty rm find -name "*~" -print0 | xargs -0 --no-run-if-empty rm : > new_patch test ! -e patch-description || cp patch-description new_patch diff -ruN heimdal-0.3d-old heimdal-0.3d >> new_patch || test $? -eq 1 mv new_patch /usr/src/heimdal/debian/patches/021_debian test -d "$HOOK_DIR" && run-parts "$HOOK_DIR" --arg update-patch-postdiff SEE ALSO
diff(1), dbs(7), /usr/share/doc/dbs/ AUTHOR
DBS was written by Adam Heath, modified by Ben Collins, modified and packaged for Debian by Brian May. This manpage was generated by Andreas Metzler and modified by Robert Luberda. Debian February 15th, 2011 DBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)