Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Can I run Perkin Elmer software on SCO ? Post 302371414 by Neo on Saturday 14th of November 2009 03:36:21 PM
Old 11-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfair
But I can remember the 386 and 486 during the timeframe under discussion.
I recall, now that we are talking about that time period, working on a project to use HP-UX RMB, which was needed to communicate with HP test gear via IEEE-488, and then dump summary data to a Progress database using their APIs.

As part of my architecture, I had to create a lot of shared memory IPCs and share memory using RMB/HP-UX. Back then I could talk directly with the core HP-UX RMB engineering team, and they told me I was the first person who actually used HP-UX shared memory with RMB. But, we actually got it working....

So, I cut my teeth completely on HP-UX and the evolved to Linux, working on a series of SUN OS projects along the way, and retiring just about everything else I ran across. That was 15 years ago.

Now, SCO is ...... well... never mind. Sun will belong to Oracle.... and Linux just keeps on getting stronger.

I agree with Tony. If I had the Perkin disks in front of me, I would analyze with Linux tools, without a doubt.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i set up Software disk mirroring(Raid1) in SCO 5.0.5 with two SCSI harddisk ?

thank u very much, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coralsea
1 Replies

2. SCO

Software router on SCO Unixware 2.X

Hi, I am trying to setup an old SCO Unix 2.x box to act as a router. I have got 2 network cards in the box. As far as I know, I need to setup "ip forwarding" and "routes". Can anyone tell me how to setup "ip forwarding" on SCO Unixware 2.X? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenir
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Netscape - What version will run on SCO Unix v3.2 2 Release 5

This question has been resolved. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: system77
0 Replies

4. SCO

I need a box to run SCO 3.2 5.0.5 i386 with...

need it to be able to run Seagate STT8000A tape drive. Any suggestions where to go. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike Gomes
5 Replies

5. SCO

Recommendation for hardware to run SCO OSR 5.0.7 natively

Looking for a modern server to run SCO OSR 5.0.7 without VM (native), h/w must have manufacturers warranty. Requirements would be to accommodate light loads of up to 15 users, app does not take more than 30 - 40 MB of RAM and data stored takes up to 15 - 20 GB, no internet connections... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
3 Replies
SHM_OVERVIEW(7) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   SHM_OVERVIEW(7)

NAME
shm_overview - Overview of POSIX shared memory DESCRIPTION
The POSIX shared memory API allows processes to communicate information by sharing a region of memory. The interfaces employed in the API are: shm_open(3) Create and open a new object, or open an existing object. This is analogous to open(2). The call returns a file descriptor for use by the other interfaces listed below. ftruncate(2) Set the size of the shared memory object. (A newly created shared memory object has a length of zero.) mmap(2) Map the shared memory object into the virtual address space of the calling process. munmap(2) Unmap the shared memory object from the virtual address space of the calling process. shm_unlink(3) Remove a shared memory object name. close(2) Close the file descriptor allocated by shm_open(3) when it is no longer needed. fstat(2) Obtain a stat structure that describes the shared memory object. Among the information returned by this call are the object's size (st_size), permissions (st_mode), owner (st_uid), and group (st_gid). fchown(2) To change the ownership of a shared memory object. fchmod(2) To change the permissions of a shared memory object. Versions POSIX shared memory is supported since Linux 2.4 and glibc 2.2. Persistence POSIX shared memory objects have kernel persistence: a shared memory object will exist until the system is shut down, or until all pro- cesses have unmapped the object and it has been deleted with shm_unlink(3) Linking Programs using the POSIX shared memory API must be compiled with cc -lrt to link against the real-time library, librt. Accessing shared memory objects via the file system On Linux, shared memory objects are created in a (tmpfs) virtual file system, normally mounted under /dev/shm. Since kernel 2.6.19, Linux supports the use of access control lists (ACLs) to control the permissions of objects in the virtual file system. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Typically, processes must synchronize their access to a shared memory object, using, for example, POSIX semaphores. System V shared memory (shmget(2), shmop(2), etc.) is an older shared memory API. POSIX shared memory provides a simpler, and better designed interface; on the other hand POSIX shared memory is somewhat less widely available (especially on older systems) than System V shared memory. SEE ALSO
fchmod(2), fchown(2), fstat(2), ftruncate(2), mmap(2), mprotect(2), munmap(2), shmget(2), shmop(2), shm_open(3), shm_unlink(3), sem_over- view(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-09-10 SHM_OVERVIEW(7)