Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO SCO unix binary compatibility problem Post 302371370 by jgt on Saturday 14th of November 2009 12:13:50 PM
Old 11-14-2009
.Z files are compressed. See man uncompress for details.
See the lng353a.ltr file for details on how to install.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

inetd problem in Unix Sco

Hi, I cannot remote login into my unix sco server, only at the box itself, when I write root to login then enter, it immediately logs in without asking me the password :confused: , at the prompt it gives me this error : inetd:system defaults databse couldn't be allocated due to : cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
6 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

UNIX problem concerning Microsoft Office Binary

I just started using Terminal on my Mac this summer, and right now I am having problems making a shell script. This shell should run the "Microsoft Setup Assistant" once I run the Automator Script. Alas, I still have problems. Here is the offending scriptlet: Sudo Tcsh root# cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisfrap
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix Sco Open Server, Windows Computers Problem Access Unix Shared Files Help!!!!!

Hello Moto I hope someone can help We's here at work, have a unix box with sco openserver 5 on it, so it has a nice gui interface.. and also a fair few windows computers.. a system admin guy b4 me, has set up a user called neil, which can, when u try to access the unix box using windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggo
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with FTP o n Unix SCO

my problem is like this while ftping locally it works, but when users from WAN try the ftp services it doesnt comes the message it displays is as follows "connection closed by remote host " please help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Athos19
5 Replies

5. SCO

SCO 5.0.6 application compatibility w/ Linux?

Hello Valued Members, I was wondering if there are any Linux, BSD, versions that can run SCO 5.0.6 applications without much modification? I was looking into purchasing a copy of Caldera Openlinux, the last version, but wanted to ask if there are any other options of a newer variant. I am also... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stay0ut
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem installing SCO UNIX 6.0

Hi all, This is the first time I have attempted to install SCO UNIX. I have a customer that has requested we install it on a desktop sized machine and they have supplied me with their install CD - "SCO UNIX Release 6.0.0 Base Operating System Install disk CD 1" I am attempting to install it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Becks
0 Replies

7. SCO

load sco xenix and sco unix binary ?

Hi I have some sco xenix object, bin and archive files that operate in sco unix 5.0.7. I know that sco unix kernel can support sco xenix binary. I want to know how can I link xenix and unix archives together? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: javad1_maroofi
0 Replies

8. SCO

Binary compatibility

Hi I'm going to buy C-ISAM 7.25 under sco unixware 7 to install in sco openserver 5.0.7. I'm wondering sco unixware 7 and sco openserver 5.0.6 are binary compatibles ? tnx (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. SCO

sco unix backward compatibility on "max open file per process"

Hi How to increase maximum number of open file in "sco xenix binary" running in "sco unix openserver 5.0.7" ? I have changed "NOFILES" kernel parameter to 512, but xenix binray can't open more than 60. tnx (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. SCO

SCO Unix 5.0.6 SATA in compatibility mode

I am very new to SCO Unix so I apologize if this is a easy or dumb question. I have a 160GB SATA hard drive and SATA CD-ROM drive connected to one of my systems. I have both the drives running in compatibility mode. I also have the hard drive set as a primary master and the CD-ROM drive set as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: NPIGuy
10 Replies
compress(1)						      General Commands Manual						       compress(1)

Name
       compress, uncompress, zcat - compress and expand data

Syntax
       compress [ -f ] [ -v ] [ -c ] [ -b bits ] [ name ...  ]
       uncompress [ -f ] [ -v ] [ -c ] [ name ...  ]
       zcat [ name ...	]

Description
       The  command reduces the size of the named files using adaptive Lempel-Ziv coding.  Whenever possible, each file is replaced by one
       with the extension .Z, while keeping the same ownership modes, access, and modification times.  If  no  files  are  specified,  the
       standard input is compressed to the standard output.  Compressed files can be restored to their original form using or

The  -f	option	will  force  compression  of  name, even if it does not actually shrink name, or if the corresponding name .Z file
       already exists.	If the -f option is omitted, the user is asked whether an existing name.Z file should be  overwritten  (unless	is
       run in the background under

The -c (cat) option makes compress/uncompress write to the standard output without changing any files.  Neither -c nor alter files.

The  command  uses  the modified Lempel-Ziv algorithm.  Common substrings in the file are first replaced by 9-bit codes 257 and up.
       When code 512 is reached, the algorithm switches to 10-bit codes and continues to use more bits until the limit specified by the -b
       flag is reached (default 16).  The bits must be between 9 and 16.  The default can be changed in the source to allow to be run on a
       smaller machine.

After the bits limit is attained, periodically checks the compression ratio.  If the ratio is  increasing,  continues  to  use  the
       existing  code  dictionary.   However,  if  the	compression ratio decreases, discards the table of substrings and rebuilds it from
       scratch.  This allows the algorithm to adapt to the next block of the file.

Note that the -b flag is omitted for since the bits parameter specified during compression is encoded within the output along  with
       a number that ensures that neither decompression of random data nor recompression of compressed data is attempted.

How much each file is compressed depends on the size of the input, the number of bits per code, and the distribution of common sub-
       strings.  Typically, text such as source code or English is reduced by 50-60%.  Compression is  generally  much	better	than  that
       achieved by Huffman coding or adaptive Huffman coding, and takes less time to compute.

The -v option displays the percent reduction of each file.

If  an  error  occurs,  exit  status is 1.  However, if the last file was not compressed because it became larger, the status is 2.
       Otherwise, the status is 0.

Options
       -f   Forces compression of name.

-c   Makes compress/uncompress write to the standard output.

-b   Specifies the allowable bits limit.  The default is 16.

-v   Displays the percent reduction of each file.

Diagnostics
       Usage: compress [-fvc] [-b maxbits] [file ...]
       Invalid options were specified on the command line.

Missing maxbits
       Maxbits must follow -b.

file: not in compressed format
       The file specified to uncompress has not been compressed.

file: compressed with xx bits, can only handle yy bits
       The file was compressed by a program that could deal with more bits than the compress code on this machine.   Recompress  the  file
       with smaller bits.

file: already has .Z suffix -- no change
       The file is assumed to be compressed already.  Rename the file and try again.

file already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)?
       Type y if you want the output file to be replaced; type n if you do not.

uncompress: corrupt input
       A SIGSEGV violation was detected which usually means that the input file is corrupted.

Compression: xx.xx%
       Percent of the input saved by compression.  (For the -v option only.)

-- not a regular file: unchanged
       If the input file is not a regular file (for example, a directory), it remains unchanged.

-- has xx other links: unchanged
       The input file has links; it is left unchanged.	See for more information.

-- file unchanged
       No savings is achieved by compression.  The input remains unchanged.

Restrictions
       Although compressed files are compatible between machines with large memory, -b12 should be used for file transfer to architectures
       with a small process data space (64KB or less).

RISC							       compress(1)