Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat #service --status-all : screen flickering Post 302371129 by dplinux on Friday 13th of November 2009 12:36:43 PM
Old 11-13-2009
it is a fresh install.
havent done any changes in any configuration file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Ftp Service /process Status

:confused: Hi Can anyone tell me how to check the FTP process status in linux . eg,I'm ftpping some files from "A" server to "B" server through FTP command , after ftpping these files , I 'm suppose to delete the files which are successfully ftpped from "A" server ,but when I 'm checking the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GaneshB
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Monitor Service Status

Hey guys how do you determined the status of a certain service if its running or not aside from using ps. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbn
0 Replies

3. Solaris

How can i know service status in solaris8,9?

How can i know service status and its dependencies in solaris 8,9? Thanks in advance.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

laptop - flickering display

i have installed ubuntu 9.0.4 on my laptop and i have a display problem my laptop display flickers from time to time while i am using it and to me it is kind of annoying please reply thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhilinski
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

service exit status

what are the number for the exit status for command service and what does every number mean. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
2 Replies

6. AIX

service status in AIX

good afternoon to all hay i m new in AIX. my problem is that.....plz tell me how to see " service status" in AIX Becoz i run /etc/rc.d/rc.2/Sbesclientd so its show below like this bash-3.2$ sudo /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/SBESClientd status Usage: /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/SBESClientd { start | stop } I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: life008
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding service status on windows from Linux

Hi all, Please advise how do i find services status running on windows machines from Linux. =-===================== Some one developed a script use rsh command to find the status but it stopped working. rsh <Some IIS server Name> service -S < Windows Server name where service running>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashish_uiit
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script killing a process from service status output

Hello, can some please suggest a script, for killing the process PID. This are steps I am currently performing to kill the process. I cant user service splunk stop, to kill these processes, because of uid and gid mismatch for splunk user. # service splunk status Splunk status: splunkd... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
8 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Rectangle is flickering while dragging on screen with xlib

Hi, this is my first post here. I wanto make a screencasting program. I want to make a screen part selection to grab coordinates of the screen location. I found a nice prototype #include <X11/Xlib.h> //#include <X11/Xresource.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatnext
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show service status in dialog

Hello is it possible to show current status of service like cron with dialog ? something that show the output of service crond status in top of menu: dialog --title "Administrator" --menu "Please choose an option:" 20 55 10 \ 1 "Add New USER" \ 2 "List all user" \ 3 "Remove user" \ 4... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
6 Replies
SYSCONFTOOL(1)							    sysconftool 						    SYSCONFTOOL(1)

NAME
sysconftool - install configuration files SYNOPSIS
sysconftool [options] [filename.dist...] DESCRIPTION
sysconftool is a development utility that helps to install application configuration files. sysconftool allows an existing application to be upgraded without losing the older version's configuration settings. A new version of an application often introduces new configuration settings. Sometimes obsolete configuration settings are removed. Existing configuration settings may also now have additional options, or certain options are no longer valid any more. Because of this, an application upgrade usually installs a fresh set of configuration files, containing a default configuration that's known to work. Keeping the existing files carries the risk of the application failing to function properly due to a configuration that is no longer valid. A typical application installation script copies over configuration files with default settings. Existing configuration files are backed up or overwritten. With sysconftool, an application will install a configuration file names filename.dist, instead of filename. Then, the application's installation script runs sysconftool. sysconftool copies filename.dist to filename, but also checks if filename from an older version of the application already exist. If filename an older sysconftool-installed configuration file, it's configuration settings replace the defaults in filename.dist, which is then subsequently installed as filename. sysconftool is smart enough to: o Remove configuration settings that no longer exist. o Add new configuration settings. o Do not preserve an older configuration setting if there's a possibility that it is no longer valid in the new version of the application. sysconftool produces a short report when it runs. The report lists every configuration setting in $filename.dist, and its disposition. The possible dispositions are: new This a new configuration setting that wasn't found in the existing $filename. unchanged This setting's value was taken from the existing $filename, replacing the default value provided by $filename.dist. UPDATED This setting has been previously set in $filename, but the setting's value may no longer be valid in the new version of the application, so its default value is taken from $filename.dist, and it may need to be manually adjusted. All this logic is based on some additional metadata that must be included in each configuration file, that sysconftool reads. For this to work, both the old and the new version of the application must be sysconftool-ized. sysconftool operates in a fail-safe mode. If the old version did not use sysconftool, $filename is backed up to $filename.bak, and $filename is copied to $filename. This is what would essentially happen anyway without sysconftool. The local configuration needs to be reentered into $filename, so nothing is lost. However, the next upgrade will see sysconftool do its job. ADDING SYSCONFTOOL SUPPORT TO AN EXISTING APPLICATION
sysconftool requires the application to use autoconf and automake. The first step is to run the sysconftoolize script from the application's source directory. sysconftoolize copies the sysconftool script to the current directory, and appends a default install-configure rule to Makefile.am. After running sysconftoolize the macro AC_PROG_SYSCONFTOOL must be manually added to configure.in, and Makefile.am must be modified as follows. Makefile.am must be modified to install configuration files as filename.dist instead of filename. The default install-configure rule assumes that sysconf_DATA lists all configuration files in sysconfdir, and runs sysconftool on them. This will usually have to be modified, according to the application's individual needs. Finally, Makefile.am must be modified to distribute the sysconftool script in the application's source distribution. Adding sysconftool to EXTRA_DIST is what's needed in most cases. Finally, certain sysconftool magic incantations must be added to the application's configuration files, see sysconftool(7)[1] for more information. The last step involves updating the application's INSTALL instructions, so that the application can be properly installed. The following instructions must be added to INSTALL: 1. Run "make install-configure" after "make install". 2. If this is the first sysconftool-ized version, DO NOT simply copy over the old configuration files, and overwrite the new configuration files. Instead, manually edit each configuration file, and manually reset each configuration setting. This is because the new configuration files include the magic code for sysconftool, which would be lost when the configuration file is overwritten. 3. If this is not the first sysconftool-ized version, the output of make install-configure must be reviewed in order to manually adjust or tweak what sysconftool did. Many large configuration files can result in lots of output, so the output of make install-configure should be saved into a file, and reviewed. SEE ALSO
sysconftoolcheck(1)[2], sysconftool(7)[1]. AUTHORS
Double Precision, Inc. NOTES
1. sysconftool(7) [set $man.base.url.for.relative.links]/sysconftool.7.html 2. sysconftoolcheck(1) [set $man.base.url.for.relative.links]/sysconftoolcheck.1.html Courier Mail Server 04/05/2011 SYSCONFTOOL(1)