Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Restricting SFTP access
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Restricting SFTP access Post 302371111 by TonyLawrence on Friday 13th of November 2009 11:25:48 AM
Old 11-13-2009
Why on earth should root be able to ssh???

SSh as an ordinary user and then "su -" when necessary.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

restricting access...

restricted access... Hi I need to restrict users shell access to only $HOME under /home for each user. I don't want them getting out of their own directories. From what I understand chroot is something I could use, but I want to avoid this since it involves creating symbolic links to a number... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricting access

I need to create a user that only has access to 1 directory (e.g. /vol/mita/test). The user needs to be able to rsh into that directory to run a script. The user should not be able to navigate to any other directories above /vol/mita/test. Any help would be appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngagne
4 Replies

3. Solaris

restricting access

Hi All, I'm on Solaris 8, I need to provide Read-only access to a user to 2 directories only. Using rsh (restricted shell) as the user's login shell, I can restrict the user's access to a certain directory only, but how can I set in such a way that the user can access only the 2 directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_min
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

restricting root access

I'm the admin in a shop in which my developers have and use the root account, all UNIX newbies. I've been unable to convince management myself that this is an unacceptable practice. I've looked in a couple books I have and can't find any chapters, discussions, etc that make the argument that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keith.m
2 Replies

5. Solaris

restricting access to a server

We want to secure access to a server by restricting the number of users who can login to it. Our users are NIS users. Only few of them can telnet/ssh this server. Do you have any idea on how to implement that? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting permissions and restricting access

Hi all, I have user called "Z". The home directory is /home/Z. I have another directory /home/Z/OP. Within /home/Z/OP, i have 2 directories /home/Z/OP/OP1 and /home/Z/OP2. I want to restrict access for Z to only access /home/Z/OP and /home/Z/OP1 and /home/Z/OP2. What kind of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restricting access to code

Hi All, I am facing a problem, regarding code security on a server. We have configured a server which contains our code (ear present in jboss/server/xyz/deploy) in it, and need to bind the code to the server itself so that no one can take the code out of the. the problem is that the password of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshay61286
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Restricting FTP access for a particular directory

Dear All, I have created a user called "x" who is allowed only to FTP and it is working fine. Here my problem is, I want to give access to a particular directory say for eg:- /dump/test directory. I don't find any option in the useradd command to restrict access to this particular directory only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
1 Replies

9. AIX

restricting sftp and ssh for a user

I want to know if there is any way to set up a users home directory access with a restricted shell and allow them to SFTP to the directory. I want to allow the user to SSH into their home directory but no where else on the AIX server. I also want the user to be able to SFTP files to their home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Restricting commands & access

Dear all, I am administering a DC environment of over 100+ Solaris servers used by various teams including Databases. Every user created on the node belonging to databases is assigned group staff(10) . I want that all users belonging to staff should NOT be able to execute certain system... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
6 Replies
SFTP-SERVER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    SFTP-SERVER(8)

NAME
sftp-server -- SFTP server subsystem SYNOPSIS
sftp-server [-ehR] [-f log_facility] [-l log_level] [-u umask] DESCRIPTION
sftp-server is a program that speaks the server side of SFTP protocol to stdout and expects client requests from stdin. sftp-server is not intended to be called directly, but from sshd(8) using the Subsystem option. Command-line flags to sftp-server should be specified in the Subsystem declaration. See sshd_config(5) for more information. Valid options are: -e Causes sftp-server to print logging information to stderr instead of syslog for debugging. -f log_facility Specifies the facility code that is used when logging messages from sftp-server. The possible values are: DAEMON, USER, AUTH, LOCAL0, LOCAL1, LOCAL2, LOCAL3, LOCAL4, LOCAL5, LOCAL6, LOCAL7. The default is AUTH. -h Displays sftp-server usage information. -l log_level Specifies which messages will be logged by sftp-server. The possible values are: QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE, DEBUG, DEBUG1, DEBUG2, and DEBUG3. INFO and VERBOSE log transactions that sftp-server performs on behalf of the client. DEBUG and DEBUG1 are equivalent. DEBUG2 and DEBUG3 each specify higher levels of debugging output. The default is ERROR. -R Places this instance of sftp-server into a read-only mode. Attempts to open files for writing, as well as other operations that change the state of the filesystem, will be denied. -u umask Sets an explicit umask(2) to be applied to newly-created files and directories, instead of the user's default mask. For logging to work, sftp-server must be able to access /dev/log. Use of sftp-server in a chroot configuration therefore requires that syslogd(8) establish a logging socket inside the chroot directory. SEE ALSO
sftp(1), ssh(1), sshd_config(5), sshd(8) T. Ylonen and S. Lehtinen, SSH File Transfer Protocol, draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-00.txt, January 2001, work in progress material. HISTORY
sftp-server first appeared in OpenBSD 2.8. AUTHORS
Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org> BSD
January 9, 2010 BSD