Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to trap script error and return line number of failure Post 302371072 by jim mcnamara on Friday 13th of November 2009 09:46:09 AM
Old 11-13-2009
Try set -x and just write everything to a log
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
set -x
exec 2>&1 > mylogfile
..........  code here

As to email, just be sure your script returns non-zero when it fails

Code:
myscript.sh parm1 || /usr/bin/uuencode mylogfile mylogfile |/usr/bin/mailx -s 'script failed' me@mycompany.com

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script with line number at beginning of each line.

Could anybody help me. I need to create a script that reads a text file from STDIN and prints out the file to STDOUT with line numbers at the beginning of each line. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mascorro
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script - print the line number along with the line

Hi, I want to print the line number with the pattern of the line on a same line using multi-patterns in sed. But i don't know how to do it. For example, I have a file abc def ghi I want to print 1 abc 2 def 3 ghi I know how to write it one line code, but i don't know how to put... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntpntp
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to return the middle line number

I need an awk script that returns the 1st field of the line in the middle of a file. For example, if a file I have has 6 lines, I want it to return the 1st field on line number 3. If a file has 7 lines, I want the script to return the 1st field on line number 4. File1: 3 214 4 219 5 226 2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jontjioe
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

KSH script help needed ( nice error trap routine ?)

I am running a script that runs a loop and executes a command on ${i} until the end of the for loop. From time to time the command generates an error ( which is good) for example ERROR0005: How can I trap the error and send an email echoing the ${i} variable in the loop and the error ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script to parse string and return multi-line file

Hello all, I have been asked to exercise my shell scripting and it has been 10 plus years since I used to do it so I can not remember hardly anything and ask for your help. What I need to do is copy a line out of a file that can be 10 to 100 characters long, I then need to parse this line into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alivadoro
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap Oracle error in shell script

sqlplus -s usrname/password@dbSID <<-SQL >> logfile @create_table.sql commit; quit; SQL I am running this script to execute an sql file. I want to display the oracle error if anything found during execution of the sql file and exit from script. Please suggest How do it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: millan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass back return code for file delete failure

Hello Experts, This script to delete a file is submitted from an SAP system which has 2 servers. When it happens to run on server 1, the delete is successful. When it runs on server 2, the delete always fails. All user accounts and permissions have been adjusted to match on both servers. Is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SAPDEVEL
5 Replies

10. Linux

Syntax error in one line in sudoer file cause total failure

I have notice that when I create a sudoer file in the sudoer.d directory, then if I have a syntax error, I cannot do sudo at all, in all accounts. Why can't they change the mechanism, so it will ignore syntax error line and will only display error message but won't cause total failure and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
7 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)